TV: A Haunting

Did anyone here ever watch that show? It used to run on the Discovery Channel. I believe it is still on in the afternoons.

The times I watched it, I would get the living snot scared out of me! That stuff was creepy!

The plus side was that it made you proud to be Catholic because they would always use a Catholic priest to bless the place, a Catholic priest to perform the stuff, etc…

If you saw it, what did you think?

Let me know if you need elaborations too.

I love that show. I love anything about hauntings. One of the epidodes from that show took place where I live (Corpus Christi TX). I never saw the episode, but it was in the news paper.

I really like that show. There have been several episodes were Catholic priests get involved or Catholic prayers or saints are mentioned. Recently I was watching Paranormal State on A&E and I think one of the investigators might be Catholic because he sometimes gives people St. Michael medals.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. That show scares the heck outta me. But I can’t stop watching it. And I too take some pride in seeing the catholic priests and prayers used to get rid of the ghosts and demons.

I’ve seen them do some sort of Wiccan ceremony to rid the “ghosts” on A Haunting, and on Paranormal State, they will mix Sacramentals with things Catholics shouldn’t do, such as using mediums and seances. Not to mention the main medium, who is Catholic, will say words of the Church’s solemn exorcism - a big no no.

I think these shows are dangerous, actually, since the techniques they use can actually make things worse.

I don’t think their dangerous (at least not for people who know better). If I ever thought there was a demon in my house i’d call the church to take care of it.

I’m glad you would call the Church. The show is dangerous because many people don’t know better.

Demons… in people’s houses.

:hmmm:

One James Randi has a million dollars for you, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.

You don’t believe demons can infest a place? Why do you think priests say a prayer of exorcism over the salt and water when they bless holy water?

Actual words from that prayer (bolding mine):

O salt, creature of God, I exorcise you by the living God, by the true God, by the holy God, by the God who ordered you to be poured into the water by Eliseus the Prophet so that its life-giving powers might be restored. I exorcise you so that you may become a means of salvation for believers, that you may bring health of soul and body to all who make use of you, and that you may put to flight and drive away from the places where you are sprinkled every apparition, villainy, and turn of devilish deceit, and every unclean spirit, adjured by Him Who will come to judge the living and the dead and the world by fire. Amen.

Yep… demons in houses… in people… all over the place.

This is dangerous stuff, and though I’ve watched a few of these shows, I’m on the fence about how much of this sort of thing should be consumed. There’s a lot of dabbling going on in these spheres these days, and people are getting hurt.

I served a family who needed an exorcism of their home. It was the most frightening, life-threatening thing I’ve ever been involved in, and that comes from one who’s served in the military overseas. I don’t want to ever do another one. This is not kids stuff, nor entertainment… it’s deadly, dealy serious. As a Lutheran pastor, I had no problem calling on my blessed Mother, St. Michael, and the whole litany of the Saints before that awful engagement… and thanks be to God that He delivered us from that most vicious enemy. All of us who were involved still bear marks from that event… some physical, others psychological.

I wouldn’t dwell too much on these shows… they generate a weird interest in the occult, and deliver a lot of mis-information. My recommendation is with Father Amorth-- if you must study this subject, check your sources, pray fervently before and after, and don’t fiddle with things that are older and more powerful than you can comprehend.

Peace be with you.

I just wanted to reinforce this part. There are certain things in life you do not mess with. Demons are one of these things (if you can avoid it).

The thing with paranormal activity is that you do not know what entity you are dealing with… whether it is demonic or not. Therefore, it is best to avoid any interaction with them. And definitely do not attempt to spur their activity.

Leave it to the priests if something must be done.

I’ve actually been interested in learning more about demons and the occult (stricktly from a Catholic source though). It’s not because I wanto to go join some occult or anything like that, I just want to leanr more about it from a Catholic view.
I think I had a run in with a demon a few years ago, when I was first interested in becoming Catholic. I always had this feeling when I was at home of something evil watching me, just a constant feeling of unease and dread. I would also hear voices, like when you can barely hear something but it’s just out of hearing range. I’d see shadows out of the corner of my eye. The scariest parts where when I went to bed. The shadows in my room would move. And there were a few occasions when I littereally felt like something was holding me down, I couldn’t move. Once when this was happening I could literally hear a deep, gutteral voice talking in another language, it realy terrified me. I started saying the prayer of ST. Michael and it stopped and i could move. After that I bought a statue of St. Michael to keep by my bed and also a St. Michael medal to wear at all times. All the bad feelings went away after I became Catholic, but I still have the St. Michael Statue by my bed, and I never take my medal off exept for when I shower.

Dear Child of God,

Here ya go:

The St. Padre Pio Center for Deliverance Counseling

It was about this time last year when I stumbled across their site while googling answers to the things that puzzled me about Paranormal State.

Following their Seven Steps to Self-Deliverance resulted in a life-changing conversion for me. Now I am a moderator on the SPCDC message board, and a student in the deliverance counseling program.

This is why these shows scare me so much. At least for me, they come across as a very real problem and a serious thing, and not something to mess around with.

Also, I don’t like to watch too much of the show. I’ll try to catch it once in a while when it’s on, but not get sucked into it too much. It’s scary and creepy, but dwelling on that stuff too much isn’t good for ya.

I bookmarked the site, it’s really helpful. Luckily I don’t think I need any help anymore, I haven’t had any encounters sinse being confirmed.
I think whatever it was that was harassing me was trying to stop be from becoming catholic. Luckily I’m more scared of not doing God’s will than whatever was trying to terrorize me. I also think developing a devotion to St Michael really helped as well.

I think you’re right. :thumbsup:

I praise God for the grace He’s given you!

…________
…,.-‘”…~., .............................,.-”...................................“-., .........................,/...............................................”:, .....................,?......................................................\, .................../...........................................................,} ................./......................................................,:`^`..} .............../...................................................,:”........./ ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../ ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../ .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/ ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....} ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../ ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../ ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-” ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\ .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__ ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-, .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\ ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\ ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__ .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==
,-%…\ ...................................,<|,-&``…`\

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.

Dotcom, you haven’t responded to my question to you in post #9.

:ehh:

don’t watch this stuff. It’s like playing blindfolded in traffic for kicks. stick with the the only son of God and the Church he built on Peter. Leave the other guy in hell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.