TV evangelist Oral Roberts dead at 91

TV evangelist Oral Roberts has died at age 91, a day after he fell at his California home and was hospitalized.

Roberts founded [Oral Roberts University**]("http://www.oru.edu/") in Tulsa, Okla., in 1963 and served as its president until 1993.**

"Oral Roberts was the greatest man of God I've ever known," said his son, Richard Roberts, according to Tulsa TV station [KTUL**]("http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1209/687732.html"). "A modern-day apostle of the healing ministry, an author, educator, evangelist, prophet, and innovator, he was the only man of his generation to build a worldwide ministry, an accredited university, and a medical school."**

content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2009/12/tv-evangelist-oral-roberts-dead-at-91/1

Safely home.

God rest his soul.

I heard he was ill. :( He was a very well known figure out here. I have passed ORU on numerous occasions.

Eternal rest grant unto him O' Lord and may perpetual light shine upon him. May his souls and the souls of the faithfully departed rest in peace. Amen. :signofcross:

He was a fixture when I was growing up. On earliest TV in this area, he was on some Tulsa station or other, which was about all we could get at the time. I remember being wowed by his healings until one day he was healing a deaf man. He put his fingers into the guy's ears and shook him and yelled "heal" and all, and after a bit of that he asked the guy if he could hear him.

Now, keep in mind that Roberts was taller, and the man's head was down and there was no way he could see Roberts' face.

"No" the guy responded. Roberts paused for a second or two, then redoubled his efforts and shook him and prayed and all, and then asked again if the man could hear him.

"Yes" the man responded this time. Then Roberts "hallelujaed", etc, and went on to heal somebody else.

That tore it for me, and, kid that I was, I never believed a thing he did or said after that.

God rest his soul all the same. I'm sure he brought a lot of people from unbelief to belief.

Isn't he the guy who used to say that "God was going to take hime home" if people didn't call in an pledge a certain amount by a certain date??? That always stuck in my head as being him. Am I right or confusing him with somebody else?

Yes, DH said he claimed he was visited by a 900 ft Jesus and He warned him that if he didn’t build the City of Faith He would take him home. DH said he would be on there crying over this. DH didn’t believe anything that came out of his mouth after that.

As dh pointed out why should a Christian be afraid to die?

Yes and his son was booted from ORU because he nearly bankrupted them on personal spending

Roberts was the first to start the Christ wants to make you rich school of theology…It was all about money from the get go with this bunch

Actually it was E. W. Kenyon who was the inspiration for these clowns. E. W. Kenyon was a pastor in Washington early in the 20th century. And many of his teachings centered on “miracles” and “God wants to make you rich” etc. In fact many of today’s “prosperity” preachers plagiarized Kenyon’s materials without giving him due credit. See this website:

Korv Essek William Kenyon (E. W. Kenyon) (1867–1948) was an evangelical pastor of the New Covenant Baptist Church and founder and president of Bethel Bible …

Biography - Faith controversy - Bibliography - References
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._W._Kenyon - Cache

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.