TV: Glee

‘GLEE’ is not another ‘High School Musical’

There is singing and dancing in FOX’s new television program “GLEE,” but this is no “High School Musical.” It is far from a family-friendly program. “GLEE” is another show targeting children and teens.

From Ryan Murphy, the creator of “Nip/Tuck,” comes “GLEE,” a new series which follows an optimistic teacher attempting to save their high school’s Glee Club. “GLEE” is not as graphic as “Nip/Tuck,” but just as offensive.

The music chosen for this show is extremely inappropriate especially for school activities. The choreographed routines are obscene and contain vulgar dancing which they perform for the student body.

The writers mock Christianity when the principal tries to discipline the Glee Club by having them select their music from a list of songs with either “Jesus” or “balloons” in the title which they translate as punishment.

Similar to most teen shows today all the students can talk about is s*x. Male students discuss grinding, erupting, and how girl’s skirts are so short they can almost see their ovaries.

Students show disrespect to their teacher and guidance counselor by telling them to “get a room.”

This is only a few of the high points or should we say low points of one episode.

**TAKE ACTION

If you are outraged by this new series send Olive Garden, Chili’s (Brinker International), and InventHelp an email asking them to pull their support from “GLEE” and no longer sponsor this program through advertising. Your email will also be sent to FOX Network.**
[/FONT]

It’s a pretty stereotypical show.

I saw the pilot two weeks ago and liked it. But I was really disappointed with last week’s first show. I don’t even see how anyone who hadn’t seen the pilot would understand what was going on. There wasn’t anything good about it.

I saw 5 minutes of it, thought it was terrible. Typical trash you find on TV these days.

I work with a lot of teenagers in musical venues, and I am the chair of a large youth music competition in our area (the competition is up for the Mayor’s Arts Award, BTW).

I do a lot of work with our local teenaged Broadway choir. I play for high school musicals. I accompany teens at auditions and competitions.

So I feel that I know teenagers and show music.

I saw the pilot of the show and I tried to like it. But I really disliked it.

I think it showed teenagers as adults. This is a flaw of many televisions shows. Children especially are shown as wise-cracking, sexualized, miniature adults.

With teenagers, it’s a tricky call. We don’t want to see teenagers portrayed as naive and innocent children, because they’re not. But neither do we want to see them portrayed as adults, because they’re not. They’re teenagers.

GLEE made the teenagers too wise and at the same time, too troubled. I know that teenagers have a lot of pressures, angst, and sexual tensions. But this show magnified all that.

The other thing that I didn’t like about the show is the portrayal of the Glee Club as a “nerd” activity. No cool kids allowed, only the misfits.

That’s just not true. In the high schools that I am familiar with (inner city schools with well over a thousand students, as well as smaller private and Christian schools), the “music” students are near the top of the popularity heirarchy. It usually goes something like this:

1. Beautiful teens–not just looks
  2. Rich
  3. Jocks
  4. Friendly “nice” kids (good family lives)
  5. Musical/Theater
  6. Brains
  7. Science geeks
  8. Religious
  9. Gangs/Toughs
  10. Goths
  11. Druggies/alcoholics
  12. Retards/Special ed
  13. Dull kids (no lives, no personalities, no nothing)
  14. Total losers–in jail, mean, ugly, hillbillies, etc.

There are variations in this list, of course–at the small prep school where I often play, brains are near the top of the list. But the beautiful people, rich kids, and jocks are still at the very top.

I’m not saying that these are the same “names” that teenagers apply to their various cliques. These are my names.

And my point is that the show GLEE puts the musical/theater crowd down at the bottom, and I just don’t see that in any of the schools that I am involved with.

Also, I really dislike the portrayal of the female gym teacher as a kind of femiNazi. We have a lot of fat teenagers in this country, including a lot of the musical/theater teens–the last thing we need to do is scare them away from getting involved with school sports.

Anyway, I probably won’t watch the show again, but I will be very interested in finding out what my musical/theater teen friends think of it. I’m guessing they’ll like it because it gives their “clique” some publicity, and because they will identify with some of the angst of the characters. Interestingly, most of the musical/theater teens that I know don’t watch much TV–they’re too busy with rehearsals, private lessons, and providing entertainment!

I’ll make another comment about the premise of GLEE.

The premise is that this cute male teacher is going to build the ailing Glee Club back into a champion team.

I’ve played in a lot of school contests (IMEA), and my own daughter went to State a couple of times for music.

From what I’ve seen, the best high school music programs are those that have lots of money behind them.

Enthusiasm and talent is wonderful and necessary, but it can’t make up for money.

The schools who win the big events at the competitions have students who come from wealthy families that encourage participation in good music, and the schools themselves put a chunka cash into hiring the best possible teachers who really know the inside rules about winning competitions and who know how to TRAIN their students.

Last year, I was privileged to hear the male acapella group from the private prep school that my kids attended. (They were at IMEA.) The judge started crying a few minutes into their number, and at the end of the number, stood up, applauded, and said that in the 42 years that she’s judged IMEA, she has never heard a finer performance.

Almost all of these teen boys had been or were current members of our city’s internationally-famous boys choir, so they have been “trained” since their toddler years. That choir is not cheap to belong to, so a lot of the “country cousins” or kids from low-income homes would never be able to afford it.

Also, almost all of these boys came from extremely wealthy families where they had been exposed to the best of all kinds of music since they were babies, and had no financial barriers to achieving the highest goals.

Finally, the music teacher at the school was a Ph.D in choral music, not just a B.A. or even an M.F.A. This teacher knew his stuff.

I’m not begrudging these boys the honor of that judges comments. They are all wonderful young men who give back to their communities out of the bounty that they have been blessed with.

I’m just saying that the secret to winning music competitions of any kind is money.

And I think that, in the pilot at least, GLEE did not seem to recognize that, as the principal made it clear that the cute teacher would not receive any extra money. Well, to me, that means that their Glee Club will sit at the bottom of the standings at the competition, while the well-funded programs will be standing on the Winner’s Podium.

The main woman on the show, is she a coach or something? Is beyond obnoxious. I saw a fall preview segment showing all the shows coming on that network and she “hosted” the segment in character. Oh yeah - obnoxious does not even come close. She was enough for me to never turn on the show, even out of curiosity, and I love shows about music.

(Where is the thumbs DOWN smilie??)

~Liza

I have only seen the ads for this show, not the actualy show. I do understand how the premise can be appealing–underdogs that no one beleives in do good!! But I really had no interest in the show because I did not expect that they would actually showcase real gleeclub music, but instead have the kids sing pop type music that is really not written for a choral performance.

I don’t doubt that the show is just as ranchy as the article suggests, but I just want to say that High School Musical is not squeaky clean either! There is plenty of nasty behavior among the kids, sexy dancing and the like there. It’s just dressed up in the candy-pink bubble gum of Disney-ness.

Finally, I agree with Cat about the competitions. My kids perform in choirs, orchestras, and theater. The schools that do well do have money and do have really well trained teachers. Our high school recently brought in a vocal jazz clinician to help the jazz choir and now they are winning awards. Great for the kids and they are learning a lot, but the special teacher was paid for with parent donations and fundraisers by the boosters club. Really not something that a small, rural school or inner-city school could have easily accomplished.

The pilot showed promise, the second show was trashy. But I dont’ like -
How it entices you to hope for a marriage to break up.
How the girl from the same-sex parents is the only one who isn’t messed up.
How it demonizes the teens who practice abstinence (their theme is "teasing but no pleasing)
Sexualizing of the teens for the profit of the show. Instead of building them up in beauty, they appeal to the lowest level.

We won’t watch anymore episodes, even if Josh Groban makes an appearance.

Cat, to be honest, I really could not disagree with you more. Yes those boys may come from wealthy families and yes perhaps their money was able to buy them the best training. But unless bribery is involved, they still win competitions because they are talented enough to do so. Money can buy you training. But unless you put the effort into developing your talents, it can only do so much for you. Two people training under the same person can have drastically different results depending on what they do outside of lessons.

My high school, a small, private, Catholic, school, I was in a very competitive marching band that won at competitions an awful lot. Many parents from competing bands erroneously mistake us for being a bunch of “rich kids” because the school is a private one and the band is mostly Caucasian. This is not the case. I had friends who were not rich by any stretch of the imagination (parents make the most unbelievable sacrifices to send their kids to a Catholic high school). Our “fancy props” were put together by band parents that knew how put pieces of wood together. Our color guard flags were handmade by band moms. Most of the coaching staff are alumni that are in to be there than the money…if they are paid at all.

These same people who think we have money coming out of our ears tend to also be quite confused as to why we’d wear outdated uniforms from the early 80’s. :shrug:

And we were not the only group that pulled it off. I’ve seen bands that looked like they were wearing homemade uniforms beat groups that seem to have a new one each year.

The idea of a low budget choir beating the rich choir is not foreign to me at all.

first of all, glee isn’t for children. it’s on at 9pm on FOX. FOX does not do family friendly programs because their demographic isn’t families.

i think the show is hilarious and refreshing. i’m getting sick of all the medical and cop dramas. it’s nice to see something different on TV. the writing is witty, the characters are a bit over the top but seriously everyone knows someone like one of the characters on GLEE.

For about a year, I've seen my friends' Facebook statuses commenting on this song performance or that character. A few weeks ago TV was hyping the upcoming "Madonna centered episode" so I decided to give it a shot. I was hooked.

Anyone out there who is a fellow Glee fan? Who are your favorite characters? Least favorite? Favorite performances? Least favorite? :cool:

Great music, great comedy, but I was especially disappointed and offended by the Madonna episode. It seemed to glorify asserting your sexuallty as the epitome of being a liberated and asserive woman. It’s all about sex with these people. If they’d quit hammering on that theme I could enjoy the show a lot more.

My wife and I -- and our 20-year-old son! -- are big fans.

I love this show. Yes, I know it glorifies teen sexuality, but is hardly the only show out there to do so. It also has some good messages. Quinn, the pregnant cheerleader, decides to keep her baby and put it up for adoption. Abortion was never even an option for her. Given the cultural influence this show has right now, I believe that this will sway MANY pregnant teens into forgoing abortion for adoption. Planned Parenthood must be shaking in their boots. The show is entertaining. It is over the top. But it is not nearly as offensive as Family Guy or South Park, which are just plain gross and offensive just for the sake of being so (and yet- funny, too.... I admit). MTV in the 80's when I was in HS was just as sexually suggestive. So I admit to being hooked on glee. There are worse things!

Personally I love the show.

But it is not nearly as offensive as Family Guy or South Park, which are just plain gross and offensive just for the sake of being so (and yet- funny, too.... I admit). MTV in the 80's when I was in HS was just as sexually suggestive. So I admit to being hooked on glee. There are worse things!

The devil is so subtle, isn't he?
"Glee isn't as bad as SP or FG ............etc." "There are worse things."
What a slippery slope.
The show "Glee" is offensive in so many ways and now they're pushing the "gay" character to the fore.
People at work talk about this show all the time so, unfortunately, I know more than I wish I did.
Wake up. The writing on that show portrays so called teen siuations that are written to foster acceptance of the immorality it shows in every episode.
Wrap the package in a pretty ribbon of fun music and dance routines and wha-la!

The devil smiles.

Great. More outrage. I’m guessing the show will be renewed for a 3rd and 4th season at the rate we’re going. Thanks. (All that moral outrage did wonders for “Modern Family.”) Want to really stick it to the devil? STOP REWARDING HIS FILTH WITH MORE FREE PUBLICITY.

Having actually BEEN in an award winning high school show choir so many years ago that merely being there made a certain percentage of the school population assume you were gay, I simply HAD to watch a few episodes.

The mechanics are simply absurd. Choir doesn’t remotely resemble an impromptu jam session, but the 3-4 episodes I watched never once showed anything remotely resembling rehearsal.

The egos are rivalries within the school are extreme caricatures of REAL things. The football coach generally really DOES loathe the music program and vice versa. Not to mention the students. At my school we also had one or two of the jock “what are YOU doing in show choir” guys. I got lots of kicks out of that theme.

The characters are nothing like high school students. They should have made this a community college setting at least to be more believable. These kids all have 24 year old characters. Simply not believable.

And yes, the show is typical modern media. Decades ago, a producer of a sitcom (can’t remember the reference) had a chilling quote that I will NEVER forget: “If I can get America to laugh at what it believes, I can get America to CHANGE what it believes.” This was what motivated him. This was why he felt his job was meaningful. I’ve never looked at TV the same since.

It’s very clear that the show wants viewers to look at divorce as a somewhat sad, but necessary reality. They are pushing the message that gay folks just are that way by their very nature and that there is nothing wrong with acting it out and no deep psychological cause (I’ve yet to meet a gay guy that was raised by his father in a healthy relationship). They are pushing us to accept that teen sex is a given, a done deal, a reality to be accepted. They are pushing us to believe that by the teen years, parents are nearly irrelevant and need to let go.

Watch for yourself and tell me I’m wrong.

Are you serious? It’s a primetime show, nothing wrong with it. If you don’t want your kids to see it, don’t let them. 13+ should be fine though, just my personal opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.