TV: "Good Christian B-tches" show on ABC

From AFA: American Family Association

*ABC network set to attack Christianity with "Good Christian B-tches" show

"For Heaven's sake, don't let God get in the way of a good story!" - GCB author Kim Gatlin

March 7, 2011

The ABC network is currently working on a pilot for a prime-time program called "Good Christian B-tches."

It's a Christian-bashing version of ABC's current "Desperate Housewives." The show centers on a recently divorced mother of two who moves back to the affluent neighborhood where she grew up to find herself in the whirling midst of gossip, Botox and fraud.

Disney-owned ABC has no reservations about creating hate speech against Christians, but you can be sure they would never consider a show called "Good Muslim B-tches" or "Good Jewish B-tches."

With a title like "Good Christian B-tches," you can imagine what kind of show it will be. Even if they change the title, the content will still mock people of faith.

While I don’t approve of the title, do not watch TV anyway and will therefore not watch this program… some people of faith bring the mocking upon themselves.

Is it right? No. But it’s understandable.

Without going into too much detail or family history…

When I was five years old my cousin, who is only one year older than me informed me (I was Jewish at the time) that if I didn’t accept Jesus into my life I was without a doubt going to hell. This same cousin grew up a bigot and is generally just hateful towards anyone who didn’t believe the way she did or who looked different. She’s also unable to hold a job as an RN because of this. Within the last year she hit my grandfather who has alzheimer’s out of anger and continues to deny it despite my grandmother and aunt witnessing it… the woman is evil… period.

But in her view… she’s still in God’s good graces because she goes to church every Sunday.

Yes, I pray for her to realize the issues with her behavior but I also can’t deny that she is very likely the kind of person that this show will take a jab at and I completely understand why. While I don’t think it’s a majority there are plenty of Christians who claim to be followers of Jesus but who’s actions tell and entirely different story. The irony is something that some would find amusing.

TAKE ACTION go to AFA online and and sign the petition. Inform your friends. We must stand up for ourselves (and others under attack from the secular media). I believe these shows are tests to our faith and to see how much these networks can get away with in attacking us. And please pray.

The following is from AFA; "Sign a petition to ABC and parent company Disney to drop all plans to air the anti-Christian program "Good Christian B-tches."

We'll add your petition to thousands of other voices in also urging advertisers to place it on their "do not advertise" list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest of this Anti-Christian bigotry."

Take notice who their sponsors are and make your own decision whether it is worth to have what they want you to purchase.

[quote="Sparticus, post:3, topic:234458"]
TAKE ACTION go to AFA online and and sign the petition. Inform your friends. We must stand up for ourselves (and others under attack from the secular media). I believe these shows are tests to our faith and to see how much these networks can get away with in attacking us. And please pray.

The following is from AFA; "Sign a petition to ABC and parent company Disney to drop all plans to air the anti-Christian program "Good Christian B-tches."

We'll add your petition to thousands of other voices in also urging advertisers to place it on their "do not advertise" list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest of this Anti-Christian bigotry."

Take notice who their sponsors are and make your own decision whether it is worth to have what they want you to purchase.

[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing the point. Looking past the title what's the premise of the show? Is it making fun of Christianity? Or self proclaimed "Good Christians" who's actions do not reflect it? If it's the later then frankly I see nothing wrong with it as I can appreciate the ironic humor that may result in it.

In fact, again disregarding the title maybe it's something Christians SHOULD watch. Maybe it will show that person who claims not to be able to give to the church but then overspends at the mall. Or that person who preaches on and on about how someone they know needs Jesus without any consideration to their own sins. I think some Christians are afraid of the show because it may very well cause them to really reflect on their own behavior and whether or not they can make the claim to be a "good Christian" but maybe that's what it will do.

There's an old Klingon proverb: "Revenge is a dish best served cold!"

What do I mean by that? It's just that ABC/Disney may be anti-catholic, or anti-christian, but SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone ever stop to think that they put these programs together to "yank" our chains? And we oblige them when we howl and cry foul! I laughed at the title, and will not watch this program and this is the only comment I will make on it. If we reacted less to the chain-yanking, they'd probably get bored and stop, but as long as we oblige them, they'll keep on going!

Laugh at the title, don't watch the program and don't comment anymore on it...that would be "revenge is a dish best served cold!" Durn, I like those Klingons!

[quote="mdrummer5, post:4, topic:234458"]
Maybe I'm missing the point. Looking past the title what's the premise of the show? Is it making fun of Christianity? Or self proclaimed "Good Christians" who's actions do not reflect it? If it's the later then frankly I see nothing wrong with it as I can appreciate the ironic humor that may result in it.

In fact, again disregarding the title maybe it's something Christians SHOULD watch. Maybe it will show that person who claims not to be able to give to the church but then overspends at the mall. Or that person who preaches on and on about how someone they know needs Jesus without any consideration to their own sins. I think some Christians are afraid of the show because it may very well cause them to really reflect on their own behavior and whether or not they can make the claim to be a "good Christian" but maybe that's what it will do.

[/quote]

I doubt this show will resemble "Little House on the Prairie". If I may illustrate with a show that was known for it's overall wholesome message. No, this show's main message will be to defile Catholics.Your approach to the show is angle which should be considered. An observant Catholic may be able to see contradiction of the those presented in the program.

But, considering the track record of Catholic bashing in the pop secular media I hardly think that is what the producers intend. (It's a Christian-bashing version of ABC's current "Desperate Housewives."). The producers are not performing a ministry.

Will I watch it. Absolutely not. Will I notify others and to boycott it and their sponsors. Absolutely YES.

[quote="Sparticus, post:6, topic:234458"]
No, this show's main message will be to defile Catholics.

[/quote]

Do you have any information to support this or are you making an assumption?

[quote="Alex2008, post:5, topic:234458"]
There's an old Klingon proverb: "Revenge is a dish best served cold!"

What do I mean by that? It's just that ABC/Disney may be anti-catholic, or anti-christian, but SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone ever stop to think that they put these programs together to "yank" our chains? And we oblige them when we howl and cry foul! I laughed at the title, and will not watch this program and this is the only comment I will make on it. If we reacted less to the chain-yanking, they'd probably get bored and stop, but as long as we oblige them, they'll keep on going!

Laugh at the title, don't watch the program and don't comment anymore on it...that would be "revenge is a dish best served cold!" Durn, I like those Klingons!

[/quote]

RIght on.
Who was it that said bad publicity is still good publicity?

But I am tired of being...for lack of better words (yanked).

On the lighter side...."Revenge is a dish best served cold" - Wasn't that from a Cagney or Hitchcock movie? I'm not sure.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:7, topic:234458"]
Do you have any information to support this or are you making an assumption?

[/quote]

Read the title and the premise of the show, there you will find information. I don't call women B**tches. It tends to defile them. Add in Catholics and yes I can make a clear assumption.

Here is another thread that is related to the topic.

Critics Slam ABC Pilot 'Good Christian B*****s' for 'Inappropriate,' 'Damaging' Title
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=541138

[quote="Sparticus, post:9, topic:234458"]
Read the title and the premise of the show, there you will find information. I don't call women B**tches. It tends to defile them. Add in Catholics and yes I can make a clear assumption.

[/quote]

Oh can you? Please dig a little deeper then.

The show is based on a book which was the only premise I could find which says...

For Heaven's sake...Never let God get in the way of a good story. Good Christian Bitches is the lighthearted tale of Amanda Vaughn, a recently divorced mother of two. To get a fresh start, she moves back to the affluent Dallas neighborhood where she grew up. In an Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Desperate Housewives on steroids style, her old friends are already out to destroy her reputation. In the whirling midst of salacious gossip, Botox, and fraud, Amanda turns to those who love her and the faith she's always known. Will the Good Christian Bitches get the best of her, or will everyone see that these GCBs are as counterfeit as their travel jewelry?

So the main protagonist actually turns TO Christianity for guidance... also one of the reviews of the book from amazon.com...

Frankly, I bought this book because of the title. I saw it mentioned on TV, and as a church-going Christian that likes a good laugh, I thought I would find it here. But after a brief mention at the beginning, as of up to page 143, where I decided I'd had enough, there was nothing about "Good" or "Christian". Church was only mentioned in passing. The "B's" of the title turned out to be the socialites of Dallas, and their fear of losing their husbands to the returnee from California, Amanda. Dallas sure sounds like hell on earth. Full of liars, backstabbers, thieves, and nut cases. And those are just the women. Not a single likable person in the bunch, not even Amanda's children. Her children are mouthy and rude, and she laughs when they talk back. Her nine year old daughter calls everyone in Dallas "fat." Her son says Dallas "sucks." Amanda thinks it's all funny. I thought it was pathetic. **Church isn't the center of attention here, it's the Longhorn Ball. The book should have been called "The Longhorn Ball Bitches." **If you really want to read it, wait till it comes out in paperback. Save your money. I paid full price and gave up in the middle.

Now... is the show something that will be considered Christian? Of course not. But aside from your assumptions you seem to have nothing to show that it is as you think it will be.

Edit: also if you go to the thread the above poster linked you'll see a quote from an interview with the author of the book concerning the title...

Will your pastor get past the title of the book?
The title is not mocking God. It's mocking those of us who love God and don't always make the best choices to honor him.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:11, topic:234458"]
Oh can you? Please dig a little deeper then.

The show is based on a book which was the only premise I could find which says...

So the main protagonist actually turns TO Christianity for guidance... also one of the reviews of the book from amazon.com...

Now... is the show something that will be considered Christian? Of course not. But aside from your assumptions you seem to have nothing to show that it is as you think it will be.

Edit: also if you go to the thread the above poster linked you'll see a quote from an interview with the author of the book concerning the title...

[/quote]

From the quotes you present the show sounds even like more trash. I would say my assumption is dead center right on.

If the premise of the show is to portray how strong "Amanda" can be as she sticks to her Christian faith and overcomes those out to destroy her that would be nice to watch. But I still stick to my original assumption that this is not the direction the makers are intending. I hardly think these episodes are such that would be aired, say on EWTN.

Do we really need to be calling woman the B word? And within the title of television series? Yes, I can still make a clear assumption that the makers of the show are attempting to defile women and Christians. All they did was find a book to base it upon and then added in the template of Desperate Housewives to render their message.

I hope the show does not air because I believe it is intended to do harm. But if one chooses to watch that is their time to waste. If they come away with a good message then possibly their time was not wasted at all. And I can be gladly proven wrong for the betterment of others.

Thanks for digging in deeper on this. Good job.

This was in the other thread, but I'll put it here too.

"Critics Slam ABC Pilot 'Good Christian B-tches' for 'Inappropriate,' 'Damaging' Title

An ABC pilot called “Good Christian B-tches” has religious and women’s groups up in arms over what they describe as an extremely offensive and distasteful show title."...

Entire article: foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/03/04/critics-slam-abc-pilot-good-christian-bitches-inappropriate-damaging-title/

Another article, but it is very short. Guess HuffPo didn't want to give criticism of the show much space.

" 'Good Christian B-tches': Parents Television Council Slams ABC Over New Show

A parents' rights group has hit out at producers ABC, calling their latest show 'Good Christian B-tches' an 'affront to women'."...

Entire article: huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/10/good-christian-bitches-pa_n_834204.html

Here, we go. Here is the longer version of the article in my prior post, but the article has a different title.

As mentioned in the article, I guess since ABC has abbreviated the working title of the show and made it simply GCB, everything is fine now.:rolleyes:

"ABC accused of 'tarnishing' Disney brand with launch of 'Good Christian B-tches' show

A parents' rights group has hit out at producers ABC, calling their latest show 'Good Christian B-tches' an 'affront to women'."...

Entire article: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365037/Good-Christian-Bitches-ABCs-new-accused-tarnishing-Disney-brand.html

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:15, topic:234458"]
Here, we go. Here is the longer version of the article in my prior post, but the article has a different title.

As mentioned in the article, I guess since ABC has abbreviated the working title of the show and made it simply GCB, everything is fine now.:rolleyes:

"ABC accused of 'tarnishing' Disney brand with launch of 'Good Christian B-tches' show

Entire article: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365037/Good-Christian-Bitches-ABCs-new-accused-tarnishing-Disney-brand.html

[/quote]

Oh great! And brought to us by the likes of: "Former 'Sex and the City' executive producer Darren Star is on board to bring the show to life."

I'm not sure how much more is needed to back my assumptions on the direction this show is intending to go. So, they just abbreviated the title. It's the same -ing thing without having to spell it out literally.

ABC is worried about tarnishing Disney? But their intent is to tarnish Christians.

Swizzle-Thanks for your investigative skills.

I think this is simply the case of the American Family Association seeing a good fund raising opportunity. Most of its protests and boycotts are. When, a few weeks or months later, the public loses interest, AFA finds some excuse to declare victory.

The reaction of many seem to be based simply on the title of the book, which served as the working title of the pilot. I understand objections to the title. The author was needlessly provocative when selecting it, and the television company was silly to keep it even as a working title which wouldn't see broadcast. However, objections to the show seem no deeper than a visceral reaction to the name.

If there is a substantive complaint about the show, I would like to read it. However, neither in this thread nor in the earlier discussion of the show, have any substantive complaints been made.

[quote="Sparticus, post:16, topic:234458"]
...Swizzle-Thanks for your investigative skills.

[/quote]

You're welcome.

[quote="Dale_M, post:17, topic:234458"]
...The reaction of many seem to be based simply on the title of the book, which served as the working title of the pilot. I understand objections to the title. The author was needlessly provocative when selecting it, and the television company was silly to keep it even as a working title which wouldn't see broadcast. However, objections to the show seem no deeper than a visceral reaction to the name.

[/quote]

You may be correct. But, I for one am a little tired of it being entirely acceptable and maybe even encouraged to insult and offend Christians. Not that it would be any better, but we all know that nobody would ever dream of naming anything "Good Muslim B-tches" or "Good Hindu B-tches" or "Good Pagan B-tches." If anyone did that, it would probably immediately and loudly be compared to hate crimes and labeled as bigotry and instantly denounced. But, as long as it involves Christians, it seems to be just peachy.

Do people still watch network TV?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.