TV: "Paranormal State"

Has anyone watched this show on A&E? I watched it last week and am watching this week, don’t know if it’s bad or good…but I like it:blush:. I was really surprised to see so many refernces to the Catholic Church, Catholic prayers, etc.

Just wanted to know what you all thought about it;).

Bump;), so has no one watched this show? It scares the heck out of me, but I look forward to watching it. Maybe I’m just weird that way…guess I’m the only one:shrug::p.

I watched the first week and have the second week recorded on my DVR. I’m not quite sure what I think yet. I was also quite surprised about all the references to things Catholic.

I’m with you it scares heck out of me too, but I can’t wait to see next show. They have the first two episodes on A&E on demand, if you have that. I would like to rewatch it and count how many times they show someone holding a Rosary.

I just absolutely love hearing them pray to St. Michael the Archangel:extrahappy: :extrahappy:!!! Also, all the sacramentals that are used…especially the Holy Water…I am stunned that they are showing that on tv:eek: you know the RCC being all backwards and stuff:rolleyes:.

In the last episode Ryan had an Episcopalian(sp?) priest helping him, they called him “father,” so I was a bit thrown, is this how they are referred to? Where does this church stand in comparison to the Catholic Church?

I am looking forward to the next episode which is in two weeks, looks like it’s going to be good:thumbsup:.

I watched it too…well…I have it on TiVo and watched part of it. It looks good though. They seem to definitely see that a lot of paranormal stuff is more than likely demonic and the demon following the one guy around…SCARY!!!

Did you notice when you started this thread what your # of post was. That’s even freaker HEHEHE

That is funny…or freaky:p !!!

I have to admit, I wasn’t really expecting much from this show, but I find it intriguing and well done. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of solid spirituality, and the many references made about the danger of dabbling in the occult in even a small way is something I don’t think most people hear on secular programs. There were times when I was truly frightened at some of the manifestations! The investigative team is professional, grounded in their faith and impressive.

I take it to get a Catholic priest to do any kind of exorcism like that would take a while getting approved…

If I’m remembering correctly, I think they mentioned something about that in the show. That’s why they got the Episcopalian (sp?) priest. But I could be confusing shows!

I completely agree with you on these points. I am looking forward to watching the episodes on tonight.

I was on the PRS website today and read that they do not charge for any of their services, that, to me, was a sign of integrity in the work that they do, they sincerely want to help people in these situations. I also read that not all their cases are recorded for the show, they take cases and help people in a completely confidential manner, which also impressed me because it’s about their work and not the fame of the show. I really like the show, and the people running PRS.

I never believed in demonic spirits before I saw this show. I’m still skeptical, but I enjoy watching.

I would suggest reading Fr. Gabriele Amorth’s book An Exorcist Tells His Story. Very eye opening…
I will check this out tomorrow. You know if anything through watching or learning about the realities of the evil one and his attacks, it makes you want to lead a holy life, receiving the sacraments, and drawing closer to the Lord through the sacramentals…it is real and it is a real war…

I haven’t seen this series yet - I figured it would be just like ones on the SciFi and Discovery Channels where 80% of the time, they call in some new age psychic. Maybe I’ll watch an episode or two. (During the day maybe? :hmmm: http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/3.gif)

Well they do call in psychics but they’re Catholic.

“psychic Catholics”… That’s what always gets me. :stuck_out_tongue:

lol:D

Yep they are almost all Catholics on that show! Ryan, the main guy and also Chip Coffey the psychic on the show are both Catholics (well, according to their myspaces:) ) But speaking of psychics, I remember hearing about a priest who was asked about psychics once and he said yes their may be people with extraordinary abilites like that. Just like God grants people special gifts such as an extraordinary singing ability or the gift of even speaking in tounges that some type of psychic ability could be a gift from God :shrug: but the person with the gift would have to always remember that the gift would be used to glorify God. I can’t remember where I heard that but thought it was interesting.

I also think its good how if they are dealing with devout Christians, Ryan makes sure to tell the girl who is a pagan (Elfie, I think) that they are Christian and she has always been very respectful of that and to not do anything “overly pagan” I guess. I also like how he explains the St. Benedict Medal and St. Michael prayer and things to the troubled people.

Ok, my answer was intended to be short but that derailed!!

Have not seen the show, but seems like it is very close if not a violation of the Catechism.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

I am new here and do not mean to stir things up, but think people don’t realize the dangers involved in this stuff.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.