TV shows starting in B&W and later in Color

What TV shows did you watch that were first broadcast in black and white and then were later broadcast in color?

I remember watching Gilligan's Island and Lost in Space. I know Dark Shadows was originally broadcast in black and white and was later in color; I think the same was true for Doctor Who. But I didn't start watching either of them until well after they were in color.

I know there were a number of shows like Lassie and some Lucy shows that were in black and white and then later in color but they were more like early "reboots" with the same staring character but with a different supporting cast and different circumstances.

I don't think the Andy Griffith Show was every anything but black and white but it transitioned into Mayberry RFD which I think was always in color.

Bewitched....I Dream of Jeanie.....Hazel......The Lucy Show.....Adventures of Superman.....

I hope I’m not mis-remembering this, but I want to say the original *Disneyland *TV show was in B&W before it became Disney’s Wonderful World of Color.

Doctor Who started off in black and white in November 1963, went into colour in January 1970.

Dark Shadows. It was awesome in B&W, but when it came out in color, it was gorgeous.

Apparently the scenic designer, Ramsay Mostoller, made sure that all the colors of the various outfits, room furnishings, etc. were coordinated for maximum appeal.

Hogan’s Heroes! (B/W season 1)

Gunsmoke B & W 1955-1965
Color 1965-1975

I am not that old!!
:D

I didn't watch them on TV - BUT my Brother and I have the DVD's :)

Cisco-kid....Adventures of Robin hood....Lone Ranger....

I remember when I was a kid and people just started getting color TVs...

The thing I remember most was watching The Wizard of Oz in color for the first time. Back then, it was only on once a year because there were no VHS tapes yet (yeah, I'm talking "olden days..." ;)) It was a really big deal just to see it at all, but then, to see it in color was something else! :)

Walt Disney, I believe they changed networks from ABC to NBC because NBC had color first (the peacock)

Andy Griffith, some of the later seasons were in color

we had seen Wizard of Oz on TV in black and white, then it was re-released in a theater, I have never been so amazed by any production before or since

[quote="SMHW, post:1, topic:270676"]
What TV shows did you watch that were first broadcast in black and white and then were later broadcast in color?

I remember watching Gilligan's Island and Lost in Space. I know Dark Shadows was originally broadcast in black and white and was later in color; I think the same was true for Doctor Who. But I didn't start watching either of them until well after they were in color.

I know there were a number of shows like Lassie and some Lucy shows that were in black and white and then later in color but they were more like early "reboots" with the same staring character but with a different supporting cast and different circumstances.

I don't think the Andy Griffith Show was every anything but black and white but it transitioned into Mayberry RFD which I think was always in color.

[/quote]

The pilot of "Hogan's Heroes" was black and white, all other episodes were color. Also "Howdy Doody" was one of the first shows to be originally black and white and became color in 1955. The Rose Bowl and Rose Parade on New Years day 1954 was the first program to be broadcast in color

[quote="puzzleannie, post:11, topic:270676"]
Walt Disney, I believe they changed networks from ABC to NBC because NBC had color first (the peacock)

Andy Griffith, some of the later seasons were in color

we had seen Wizard of Oz on TV in black and white, then it was re-released in a theater, I have never been so amazed by any production before or since

[/quote]

Portions of Wizard of Oz were photographed in black & white--those portions that were set in "Kansas"

As a young boy, we had only a black and white TV. Not all shows were broadcast in color; but, those that were would often anounce “IN COLOR” during the opening credits. I never understood why they would do this, when CLEARLY, the show was in black and white.:smiley:

Oh yeah…F Troop and McHale’s Navy.

[quote="jwder09, post:14, topic:270676"]
As a young boy, we had only a black and white TV. Not all shows were broadcast in color; but, those that were would often anounce "IN COLOR" during the opening credits. I never understood why they would do this, when CLEARLY, the show was in black and white.:D

Oh yeah...F Troop and McHale's Navy.

[/quote]

They announced a program being broadcast in color for the benefit of those who owned color tv sets. RCA, when they developed color tv, developed a system that would show compatible color (color on tvs designed to show color, b & w for those sets designed to show black & white with out needing converters like we need now to receive digital programming)

The Beverly Hillbillies.

[quote="Mark1970, post:4, topic:270676"]
Doctor Who started off in black and white in November 1963, went into colour in January 1970.

[/quote]

Let me guess: your TV was rented from GranadaTV:p (before it was a station)

Ours was!

[quote="Publisher, post:2, topic:270676"]
Bewitched....I Dream of Jeanie.....Hazel......The Lucy Show.....Adventures of Superman.....

[/quote]

Ah, Bewitched! I was thinking about that one earlier but I forgot when I originally posted.

There was Dragnet but that was more along the lines of a reboot then just a change from one year to the next. The two military shows Combat and 12 O'Clock High

[quote="triumphguy, post:17, topic:270676"]
Let me guess: your TV was rented from GranadaTV:p (before it was a station)

Ours was!

[/quote]

I didn't say I remember watching it in black and white, only that it was B&W when it first started! I was born in 1970 (my CAF name should've given you a hint...) but I've got some of the DVD's from the 1960's. Sad, I know. :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.