TV: "The Middle"

This show seems reminiscent of "Malcom in the Middle." Is there a connection between the two shows?

I think the reason it is called "The Middle" is because it is set in the Midwest, whereas "Malcolm in the Middle" had "Middle" in it because Malcom was a middle child. Other than that I am not aware of any connection.

"Malcolm in the Middle" was one of my favorites during its run. If "The Middle" reminds you so much of it, I may have to check it out sometime.

I've caught the show a few times and have liked the episodes I did see. Made me laugh because some of the events on the show had happened in our family recently. I didn't see anything suspect, not like The Modern Family.

Wasn't Malcolm more from his point of view? The Middle seems to be more from the parent's point of view.

The two shows are totally unrelated. I think the reason people always get it confused is because they both have "middle" in their titles and the actor who plays the kid was in both shows.

I Love, love, love this show!! I think it's one of the funniest shows on network tv in years!!

I love this show too! I was looking forward to seeing it tonight, but pretty sure it will be pre-empted because of the Country Music Awards. I know it won't play at 8 p.m (which is in just a few minutes from the time I am typing this), but I hope maybe by 10 p.m.

Something I like about the show is things don't aways work out in the end, at least not the way you think they might resolve themselves, and the commentary that the mother makes shows how that doesn't really matter. Sort of like this is the life of a family and you roll with it. The shows usually surprise me because it's never what I expect. Very good writing.

Reverand Tim Tom is a nice addition to the show. ("He really gets teens.") The segments with him remind me of my youth and my involvement with the teen scene/youth ministry at my church in the early seventies. I thought he was going to just be in one show, but he came back for another.

I like that the teenagers act like regular teens and their roles are not too contrived, yet they have clear personalities. Brick seems a little out of the mainstream, but never truly acknowledged as a "special needs" child, which I think is fantastic. And after watching the show I now find myself whispering to myself like he does, but just for fun.

Oh my gosh! I do that too! How funny!

[quote="sharmin, post:4, topic:218612"]
The two shows are totally unrelated. I think the reason people always get it confused is because they both have "middle" in their titles and the actor who plays the kid was in both shows.

I Love, love, love this show!! I think it's one of the funniest shows on network tv in years!!

[/quote]

I don't think its any of the same kids.

[quote="PatriceA, post:7, topic:218612"]
I don't think its any of the same kids.

[/quote]

The actor how plays Brick looks like he could be the younger brother of the youngest one in Malcolm. I don't think he is, though. I did see him on a talk show about 7 or 8 months ago and I don't remember that being mentioned.

[quote="CAROLOFTHEBELLS, post:8, topic:218612"]
The actor how plays Brick looks like he could be the younger brother of the youngest one in Malcolm. I don't think he is, though. I did see him on a talk show about 7 or 8 months ago and I don't remember that being mentioned.

[/quote]

I checked on imdb, they're not related. Its just a quirky resemblence. The actor from Malcom is going to be 21 years old, yikes, the time sure flew!

Showing agreement by whispering to myself and looking downwards, "Flew".

I absolutely LOVE The Middle!! Eden Sher is great in this show and I watch just to watch her.
It, along with The Big Bang Theory, are the only shows on the tube I make it a point to tune in for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.