TV: The Secret Life of the American Teenager

Has anyone seen this new show on ABC Family Channel? It is from the creator of 7th Heaven. It is about a 15 year old girl who gets pregnant. There is a Christian cheerleader who is saving herself for marriage and lots of talk about sex. What do you think of this show? What are you thoughts about the reality of the show? My friend teaches 9th and 10th graders and she has at least 5 girls who get pregnant every year. I don’t know what to make of this show. They treat Christianity differently. I don’t know if I like it or not. For example one guy cheats on his girlfriend (the Christian cheerleader) and then asks the girl he cheated with to pray with him so that God will forgive them for what they have done. Any thoughts? Share away :slight_smile:

i haven’t seen it but i hope they show pregnancy and birth as what it is: really hard selfless work.

My roommate likes the show so i watched part of it last night. So bare with me as i don’t know the characters names.

The only part i saw was the last two scenes. There was a nice exchange between a girl who is maybe the “loose one” who is trying to seduce one boy to make another boy jealous. He says something along the lines of “We can’t do that again (sex) because its a sin and not right and i can’t take the guilty”. The exchange was pretty okay. And the ending scene with the “good christian” girl taking responsiblity for her actions was nice.

Other than that i don’t know too much about the show.

Even though I have not watched this cheesy drama. I have seen some bits and peices and have also heard the disscusions of my sister whom is 15 years old and becoming a sophomore.

There are even young middle school kids watching this garbage, and thinking “hey, shes only 15 and shes pregnant! Wow, so its really okay to have sex but NOT GET PREGNANT.”

Ive seen Juno cross practically the same message. Yes, Juno was a heart warming story but I walked out of that theatre wanting to be older, have a career in front of me, complete with a marriage, and concieve ASAP.

Kids now a days are becoming sexually active younger and younger. When YOU ARE A KID, you dont know what is okay and whats not okay. When you are young in love, you want to run away from your parents, and spend as much time as possible with that special someone. I should know, I have had those feelings myself.

The drama is a false story of moral choices. Although I think that this will make this world more corrupt, it makes me crawl in my skin everytime I watch it.

It’s so cheesy that the only merit it could possibly have would be as an ironic comedy.

I’ll give those who don’t know one guess what religion the the “loose one” belongs to…

The subject matter has the potential to be very poignant similar to “My So Called Life” and “Freaks and Geeks”; one reviewer for the latter said it didn’t last because it hit to close to home and most people don’t want to relive high school. But this is it’s from the creator of “7th heaven”, which was the cheesiest cheese so I don’t have much hope for this.

The main reason I watch (or try to) is Molly Ringwald. She plays the mom which is well, appropriate, but reminds me of how not young I am.

June 23, 2009

**Ask Kellogg Company to pull ads from 'The Secret Life of the American Teenager'**

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UPDATE!

Moms, thanks to your emails and phone calls, Calvin Klein has removed the threesome billboard. Your support has likely prevented this ad from being duplicated across the country.

Your efforts are making a HUGE difference!

Now we need your help again on an increasingly popular TV show titled “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” This past spring Hershey Company notified OMM and stated that they would share our comments with their Marketing Department. OMM is glad to report they did not sponsor last night’s season premiere. We will continue to monitor this in the future.

Unfortunately Kellogg Company did support the season premiere of “Secret Life” with advertising dollars.

Here are a few scenes from last night’s episode:
• Divorced mother finds out she is pregnant after sleeping with new boyfriend on their first date.
• Great-grandmother suggesting she is sleeping with her young driver.
• Good girl looses her virginity, tells her mom it is no big deal, and then finds out her father died in a plane crash.
• The husband of new teen mom is eager to have s*x with his new wife while she is trying to cope with her new role.
• Mocks Christianity.

The parents on this series are terrible role models for their children, and the teens have not learned a lesson from their peers unplanned pregnancy.

Take Action

Sadly, Kellogg Company is supporting the negative influence of “Secret Life” by sponsoring the series with huge advertising dollars.

Please let them know that while Kellogg’s is a household name, we do not approve their financial backing of this program.

If you agree this series is inappropriate please send Kellogg Company an email letter asking them to stop sponsoring “Secret Life” through advertising.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Just out of curiosity, have you ever watched the show?

I haven’t seen this season, but I watched almost a full season of the show (even if it is supposed to be girly :blush:) because after watching the first episode, I wanted to see how they portrayed Christianity. Although the acting is not great, I thought that the show’s portrayal of Christians was favorable, and the struggles faced by teen parents are thrown right out into the open. (Of course, some of the things are a bit unrealistic, but overall they do a pretty good job.)

I have no idea why you would rail so vehemently against this show. :shrug:

If you’d like more specific examples, I’d be happy to provide you with them.

I’d also like to note that the Secret Life does not in any way compare to that billboard!

It should be pulled for the dumb storyline and AWFUL acting.Otherwise it’s harmless just bad TV.
PS and everyone portrayed on the show are complete idiots.

Haha… you’re probably correct. They could have done an overall better job with the writing/acting. I’m just not sure that its necessary to petition Kellogg.

Those aren’t Buffalo’s words. They are the latest protest/boycott email from the American Family Association (One Million Moms is one of its divisions.)

Buffalo posts their emails quite often.

Does anybody watch this show?

I’m not surprised…but I am so SICK of the ridiculous depiction of Christians by popular media. This show’s most recent episodes deal with a Christian girl whose father happened to die in a plane crash the night she had sex with her boyfriend for the first time. When she finds out, she thinks that somehow she killed her father by having sex. (oh and that he “had a terrible death” because she “had incredible sex”) Clearly, this is the conclusion that Hollywood think Christians will arrive at. :rolleyes:

So in Monday’s episode, the pastor at the local church goes to talk to the poor girl about it. He ends up telling her that, though a lot of his colleagues wouldn’t agree with him, he doesn’t think sex before marriage is necessarily wrong. But somehow he justifies that it’s wrong for high-schoolers. Also, that he thinks God “set it up that way” to protect women who, in those times were treated like property. :rolleyes:

So apparently all us Christians have been guilted into thinking that sex is “dirty”. Thank goodness we have networks like ABC FAMILY to set us on the right path!

I have to admit that I watched the first season of this show… The character that you are talking about was portrayed in a much better light during the first season. After I saw a post about this show a few weeks ago, I decided to take a look at the season premier. And unfortunately they are portraying her much differently than in the past. I don’t know what to say… :shrug:

I guess you could check out the first season, but I don’t see this upcoming season being very good

I didn’t know it was possible to view this show without being ironic.

Hey i am watching this show regularly and today its season 4 premiere comes out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.