Twenty states throw support behind lawsuit aimed at overturning Obamacare

Twenty states have signed onto a lawsuit challenging the Affordable Care Act on the grounds that it violated the Origination Clause by starting in the Senate instead of the House.

The brief, filed May 15 by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott and endorsed by another 19 attorneys general, comes in support of a lawsuit filed by Dr. Steven Hotze of Houston, Texas, now before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.

The Hotze case is one of two lawsuits seeking to overturn the ACA on the grounds that the bill originated in the Senate. The Constitution requires all bills for raising revenue to originate in the House.

washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/20/twenty-states-throw-support-behind-lawsuit-aimed-o

The Affordable Care Act, while not perfect, is the best thing that has come out of Washington since Medicare. Insurance companies cannot deny you for pre-existing conditions and a whole slew of other protections. Now that I am on ‘Obamacare’, my rates have been cut in half, and I still have the same type of coverage. My rates are so inexpensive now, I can afford to quit my job and work for myself at home, which is something I never could have dreamed of before the ACA. I am no longer a slave to the job I hated. A job that was literally killing me. Someone else can have my old job now.

The Affordable Care Act will reduce unemployment as many people will quit jobs that they only hung on to for the insurance benefits. Republicans are against it because they won’t give President Obama any credit for anything. I can’t agree with everything Obama has done, just like any and all presidents, but he has scored a few hits: Credit card reform, the ACA and getting Osama bin Laden. My hat is off to him for these things.

You will notice that that are generally support ObamaCare (I refuse to call it the ACA, because there is nothing affordable about it): those that aren’t paying for it in the first place, and some of those that are paying for it buy have preexisting conditions.
The people that I know that are paying for it utterly hate it. I can go down the list: huge price increases, people currently paying that for some reason aren’t considered covered and have to pay 100% out of pocket, those with preexisting conditions whose doctors are dropping them as patients because the reimbursement rates aren’t enough, etc.

The Affordable Care Act will reduce unemployment as many people will quit jobs that they only hung on to for the insurance benefits.

Pure nonsense. I deal with small business owners on a regular basis as part of my job. Many simply aren’t hiring, and haven’t, since this abortion of a bill was passed, unless absolutely necessary. This bill has created a huge cloud of uncertainty over the economy. Even if it saves some costs in terms of health care outlays for businesses, they’re not stupid. Taxes are going to have to rise significantly, on businesses and everything else, because the huge shortfall for this program will have to be made up somewhere.

Republicans are against it because they won’t give President Obama any credit for anything.

I know Democrats that are cursing him out for this program. I will not give credit to a President that has a health-care program that costs 3x as much as the second-most expensive health-plan in the world…and rising.

With regard to the unconstitutionality of the law, it flat out is. The Supreme Court has already decided cases regarding shell bills and the Origination Clause. The Supreme Court probably didn’t realize that the bill didn’t originate in the House when they made their decision, reversing hundreds of years of precedence. The Supreme Court effectively modified the U.S. Constitution by their actions, and furthermore is allowing the Senate a way to take on functions specifically designated to the House by the Constitution.

Uh huh…

Obamacare turned my 99 Lexus GS300 in a 2015 Acura NSX, and helped me get my body fat down to 6%.

And everyone is saying what has been happening at some VA hospitals as has been in the news will be how the ACA will work. Which doesn’t sound to inviting.

I don’t see how ACA can be upheld except through total farce.

That’s not saying much, Medicare is a horrible program too.

The Affordable Care Act will reduce unemployment as many people will quit jobs that they only hung on to for the insurance benefits…

That makes no sense.

What credit card reform? Obama didn’t get bin Laden, the CIA and Seal Team Six did.

It’s called inflation but the creative politicians and the Fed know how nicely to hide it, with or without Obamacare.

Many simply aren’t hiring,

Actually this was the case before Obamacare. Those companies who had been hiring were hiring many foreigners who didn’t require healthcare coverage. This was one of the reasons why healthcare reform was made a big campaign issue in 2008 by both parties in the first place.

It’s been four years now and it seems the SC has already ruled on its constitutionality.

They might as well go for the repeal of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.

I’d be fine with that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.