Twilight and Sexual Abstinence

I understand why so many traditional, orthodox Catholics despise “Twilight” because of its apparent occultism as seen through the presence of the vampire. However, do any of these traditional Catholics even understand that Twilight is spreading a message of self-sacrifice through sexual abstinence and purity? Is the mere presence of a vampire enough to invalidate the entire moral content of the film?

Vampires are just one reason why the book dosen’t work. The other reason is how the characters’ relationship works. Vampires are monsters who represent evil. How can a story about a girl and a monster falling in love be good? And their relationship isn’t even chaste. The vampire is depicted as a twelve-year-old girl’s ideal sexual fantasy, Belle is fatuated with him, and he basically acts like a control freak.

Now, imagine a book about a love relationship between a demon and a girl. “That’s sick!” You’d say. So why not Twilight? Vampires may be fictional, but they are stll monsters, and monsters are evil. You gotta call a spade a spade. Evil is evil. Evil is never good.

Here’s some more advice to help shed light on the darkness of Twilight:

Hello new user!

I just realized this is in the wrong forum. Hopfully a mod will let you know where to post it :slight_smile:

Erm… it’s just a book. Can you read a book for enjoyment, without taking life lessons from it? Can you teach your children to do the same? If so, what’s the big deal?

Eucharisted, your response is so off the mark that I’d love to label it satire, but I think that you are serious. From what you’ve said, it seems pretty clear that you haven’t read the book.

You’ll find that most of the Twilight objectors around here haven’t read the books but instead online blogs and others opinions. I went through this on a couple of the other Twilight threads on the forum.

What’s Twilight?

It’s the time of day immediately following sunset. :smiley:

Whose idea was it that vampires are blood sucking monsters?

I know there are humans who are serial killers, abortionists, rapists, child molesters…you name it. Evil comes in all form even with the humans.

And someone wrote a book about it? Can I write one on paint drying?

I read the first book. I never went further than that. I might at some point but I dislike the book for several reasons:

1. It is fluff intended for the imaginations of 14 year old girls. There is no depth, and the characters are bland, especially Bella (the main character). I think this was done with the pbvious intent to allow any 14 year old girl to let herself become Bella.

2. The vampire Edward is…frankly a pansy. I love a good vampire story, but this is just pathetic.

3. I think the book is NOT appropriate for young girls to read. It paints a VERY unrealistic picture of love, and even self-sacrificing love. The only one who is slightly right is Edward. He should not be with Bella. It wouldn’t work. He knows this. He should have stayed away. Secondly, the relationship between Edward and Bella isn’t even love. It’s lust. You don’t see Bella finding a common ground with Edward in anything. They barely talk to one another, except about his vampirism, and whenever Bella is talking about him, she is talking/thinking about his LOOKS. I’ve fallen deeply in love. I got married. It was not what was described in Twilight. What was described in Twilight was more like crushes I got when I was 14. (go figure!)

Oh, also, someone above mentioned that not all books have to have a message. That’s a lie. ALL books are trying to promote SOME kind of message. You just have to distill what that message is, and decide if it’s good or not. I vote “no” on Twilight because it’s a weak story, and its depiction of “love” is dangerous to young minds.

It may end up being a better book than Twilight. :stuck_out_tongue:

Three other women I work with (our ages range from 36-56) started reading the series and they begged me to read it too so we could all talk about it. Here are my thoughts:

1. The series is not something I would have chosen to read – at all. I’m not into vampires, werewolves, monsters, fantasy, or any other sci-fi type reading.

2. It was not very deep reading and after the first I could have lived without reading the second. I almost stopped reading the second book about half way through but was encouraged to continue. The third book was the best of the four and I really couldn’t put it down through the final book.

3. There were definitely mixed messages for teen readers.
    The good: Self-sacrifice and abstinance until marriage. Developing a true friendship with the opposite sex (the Jacob storyline). Edward and Jacob forming an alliance to fight together against the common enemy. Mutual respect with those you disagree with. I learned a lot about vampires and werewolves that I never knew before :stuck_out_tongue:
    The bad: Edward sneaking into Bella’s room every night and holding her as she slept kind of negated most of the abstinance message. The constant lying to Bella’s father. The fact that Edward had the body of a 17-year-old (because he stopped aging physically when he became a vampire) but was born about 100 years earlier, making him a much older man to her 17 or 18 years. Extremely weak Bella character was sad; sends message to girls that the guy makes you into what you will become (loss of independence and maturity before embarking on marriage). No real depth to the love between Bella and Edward. The idea of living forever, instead of seeing God after natural aging and death was not a concept in this series so it was always in the background of my mind as I read, making it hard to root for Bella becoming a vampire, etc…

4. Reading is an escape for me and it was fun to be able to participate in the discussion with my co-workers and talk about the “wow” moments that we didn’t see coming. Unfortunately, we had to read so many pages to get to those moments as they were few and far between. I would prefer to read and discuss something more meaty but none of them really seem interested so I had to adjust to their level. Even when discussing these books with them, no one seemed to care at all about the moral (or lack of) aspects as well as the problem of choosing to live forever on Earth and not with God. But then again, it is a work of fiction…

Denise

Bella wraps her leg around Edward. She is 17, he is 104. That’s pedophilia in the most outrageous form.

The whole message of the book (one of them), is one is incomplete without a mate.

Who at the end of the book is single? A few wearwolves?

Is it sexual abstinence with the imprinting? Is it really? It could be argued that it is child grooming. Once the female wants to engage in sex, that is what the wearwolf will be for her. If the female choses somebody else…well, does she really even have that option? How do we know that’s not why Sam scarred Rebecca because she didn’t want him? She could be scared now to be with somebody else because she fears her life.

This series is not about abstinence. No vampire book is about the virtues of abstinece, but this is, seeminly, promoting celestial marriage, I think…to be married forever…

Absurdity, you make some excellent points and I can’t disagree.

There wasn’t complete purity but there was abstinance. The self-control message was good, I thought. I think girls can appreciate the strong desire to act on feelings and emotion and see the strength to restrain yourself. I also believe that may be an attraction for the girls – for a guy to have strong desire but hold back because he loves her. (I know - he should have walked away the first day but then there would not have been a book.)

The whole imprinting thing seemed to be more animal than human and that in itself was a bit uncomfortable for me (beastiality comes to mind).

Denise

I don’t have to watch the film or read the book to know (as a young adult) that Twilight is nothing than the type of gutter drivel that you find with some barechested guy on the cover of a paperback at your local supermarket for $5.99.

There are many men that have the bodies of 17 year olds, and happen to be over 18. Just because it’s a fantasy, it doesn’t mean some immature teenage girl wouldn’t try to fulfill this fantasy herself. It’s simply just a bad lustful concept.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.