Twilight?

Hello,

I am against Twilight. I don't believe in vampires, but if Idid I would want to kill them. I recently read an article online that talks about vampires as if they were real. They say "vampires like the movies' famous cullens.". Ok then. What do you guys think? I think its absurd they are taling about them as if they were real.What are they trying to pull?

huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/21/twilight-science-supports-sparkly-vampires_n_905037.html

[quote="Anonymousanonym, post:1, topic:249230"]
Hello,

I am against Twilight. I don't believe in vampires, but if Idid I would want to kill them. I recently read an article online that talks about vampires as if they were real. They say "vampires like the movies' famous cullens.". Ok then. What do you guys think? I think its absurd they are taling about them as if they were real.What are they trying to pull?

huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/21/twilight-science-supports-sparkly-vampires_n_905037.html

[/quote]

Did you read the part about diamonds and lasers, or did you stop at vampires?

1.Honestly, vampires arn't real.
2.Huffington Post is a sillyand juvenile website.Theres heaps better websites out there.
3.When you read an article try to distance yourself(if that sort of makes sense) and don't read it as literal.
It wasn't saying it literal,thats just the writers writing style.I think its like "tongue in cheek" or something.
For example,the first line says "anyone who has seen(or was forced to see) the first Twilight...."
That line doesn't mean in a "deep" way as in "someone forced me to do something and i hate thta thing" but is meant to be read as in a comical,almost sarcastic way.
The article is about lasers and diamoands but the reporter is using Twilight (movie) references to her article as she probably though it would sound more interesting which would get more viewers.
She probably thought a title like "Science supports sparkly vampires" would generate more curiousity and interest that a title that was serious.
The writer doesn't believe in vampires,but its a dumb article.

I hope that sort of made sense.

if vampires are truly made from diamonds

Science

I lol'd.

Also, 90% sure the OP is a troll.

[quote="Catholic90, post:2, topic:249230"]
Did you read the part about diamonds and lasers, or did you stop at vampires?

[/quote]

Yes I read the thing about the lasers. What I was saying was that they were saying that this is why 'vampires like the cullens' would have to stay away from the sun. I don't believe in vampires and I can't stand Twilight, but I'm asking why they were talking about vampires as if they were real. That's all.

[quote="music2, post:3, topic:249230"]
1.Honestly, vampires arn't real.
2.Huffington Post is a sillyand juvenile website.Theres heaps better websites out there.
3.When you read an article try to distance yourself(if that sort of makes sense) and don't read it as literal.
It wasn't saying it literal,thats just the writers writing style.I think its like "tongue in cheek" or something.
For example,the first line says "anyone who has seen(or was forced to see) the first Twilight...."
That line doesn't mean in a "deep" way as in "someone forced me to do something and i hate thta thing" but is meant to be read as in a comical,almost sarcastic way.
The article is about lasers and diamoands but the reporter is using Twilight (movie) references to her article as she probably though it would sound more interesting which would get more viewers.
She probably thought a title like "Science supports sparkly vampires" would generate more curiousity and interest that a title that was serious.
The writer doesn't believe in vampires,but its a dumb article.

I hope that sort of made sense.

[/quote]

But what was the point of that? Why are they saying that science supports the point of view Meyer takes on a fictional character? It's just stupid. :shrug: I have no idea what the point of it was/

To all:

I know vampires aren't real, and I was not trying to say that there was scientific proof of them being real. I was asking what the point of that was, and I was curious why they were wording it as if they were real.

[quote="Anonymousanonym, post:7, topic:249230"]
To all:

I know vampires aren't real, and I was not trying to say that there was scientific proof of them being real. I was asking what the point of that was, and I was curious why they were wording it as if they were real.

[/quote]

Cuz it is the huffington post - don't take it seriously.

[quote="Anonymousanonym, post:6, topic:249230"]
But what was the point of that? Why are they saying that science supports the point of view Meyer takes on a fictional character? It's just stupid. :shrug: I have no idea what the point of it was/

[/quote]

Its just a dumb website which lacks credibility.Don't take it seriously.Another of their headlines says "Batman Villains Psychoanalzed by health experts"
No credible/respectable Psychiatrist spends their days trying to get insight into real criminal minds by psychonalysing comic book characters.
Its just stupid- and pointless as you said.Shes just thrown in a bit of "fantasy thinking" thinking it will add spice to her article.Shes used the twilight movie reference of "his sparkling diamond body" to provide an entry point into an article about diamonds.
Science doesn't support vampires but the writer has wrote it like it does to get readers..Some media has shifty writing or half truths and as readers need to be cautious regarding that.
If you really feel it is strongly miseading then you could possibly report it to a media ethics board but i don't know how that would go.
Media Ethics and whats ok & what isn't,i assume but am not sure probably vary from country to country + internet reporting might be different rules etc.

Ah Twilight. Helping teenage girls make the all important choice between Beastiality and Necrophelia :p

Disclaimer: I haven't read the books, but I have heard from a friend who is an english major that they are poorly written. Other then that, I really have no comment.

[quote="curlycool89, post:10, topic:249230"]
Ah Twilight. Helping teenage girls make the all important choice between Beastiality and Necrophelia :p

Disclaimer: I haven't read the books, but I have heard from a friend who is an english major that they are poorly written. Other then that, I really have no comment.

[/quote]

Amen to that. Using good looking actors to glamorize mortal sin. What has the world become?

[/quote]

:rotfl::bounce::clapping:

[quote="Anonymousanonym, post:11, topic:249230"]
Amen to that. Using good looking actors to glamorize mortal sin. What has the world become?

[/quote]

Spoiler alert, for those who actually may want to read the books:

If you actually read the Twilight Books-----they actually end up endorsing the notion that everybody "can be like Gods"----which is basically what Bella and Edward become at the end of the whole saga----God-like Beings.
Similar to what Stephenie Meyer's Mormonism teaches. Plus polygamy is Ok after all AFTER you die and you even get your own planet!!!:rolleyes:

[quote="Anonymousanonym, post:11, topic:249230"]

[/quote]

Is he good looking?I really could never see him as good looking personally.

[/quote]

I seriously wish people would stop holding up Meyer as if she's the prime example of a vampire fiction author.

Honestly, a vampire protagonist CAN be full of awesome. Case in point: Alucard from Hellsing

I don't even have anything against a lover becoming a vampire for her beloved. Personally, I see that as a way of sharing someone's burden (albeit tragic).

What sucks really is Meyer's style. It's fanfiction prose at its worst.

And before people accuse me of being a vampire fanboy, I am far from that. In fact, you're talking to a guy who fantasizes himself as a wizard who kills criminal vampires for pleasure. I actually don't like them all that much but I am certainly not blind to their shining moments (no subtle pun intended as Meyer's version of a vampire is certainly NOT one of them).

Ah Twilight. Helping teenage girls make the all important choice between Beastiality and Necrophelia

See now, that makes the book a titch sexist, because the men in the story don't get a choice. Their only option is pedophilia. 107 year old men courting 17 year old women? Write that up and sell it to 12 year old girls!

But seriously, this thread is lolz.

[quote="music2, post:14, topic:249230"]
Is he good looking?I really could never see him as good looking personally.

[/quote]

I don't find Robert Patinson good looking, actually I was speaking of Taylor Lautner. However, we each have our own opinions. But the point is, they shouldn't use people who are considered good looking to some people - to glamourize sin. It is sort of like those kids commercials. They will use people who others consider 'cool' to sell prodcuts. "Hey kids! Buy this ice cream and you'll be popular."

[quote="Transformer, post:16, topic:249230"]
See now, that makes the book a titch sexist, because the men in the story don't get a choice. Their only option is pedophilia. 107 year old men courting 17 year old women? Write that up and sell it to 12 year old girls!

But seriously, this thread is lolz.

[/quote]

I'm kind of butt hurt. I just want to state again that I know vampires aren't real, just to clear that up. And yes I agree. Even if Edward had lived a 100 years - in the body of a - 17 year old, that doesn't make him 17 years old, hypothetically speaking of course. It would be safer for her to date a 40 year old, not that that would be a good option either. She's freaking 17 she's too young for the kind of thing she wants.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:15, topic:249230"]
I seriously wish people would stop holding up Meyer as if she's the prime example of a vampire fiction author.

Honestly, a vampire protagonist CAN be full of awesome. Case in point: Alucard from Hellsing

I don't even have anything against a lover becoming a vampire for her beloved. Personally, I see that as a way of sharing someone's burden (albeit tragic).

What sucks really is Meyer's style. It's fanfiction prose at its worst.

And before people accuse me of being a vampire fanboy, I am far from that. In fact, you're talking to a guy who fantasizes himself as a wizard who kills criminal vampires for pleasure. I actually don't like them all that much but I am certainly not blind to their shining moments (no subtle pun intended as Meyer's version of a vampire is certainly NOT one of them).

[/quote]

That's what I've heard from english people (I'm an engineer. I don't have to know anything about english :p).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.