Twilight?

I'm a vampire fan woman, but if you really want to see a surprisingly interesting, clean series, see "Vampire Diaries".

[quote="curlycool89, post:20, topic:249230"]
That's what I've heard from english people (I'm an engineer. I don't have to know anything about english :p).

[/quote]

Indeed. Your English friends are correct. :p
In fact, consider me and 2-5 other Filipino English majors as further addition to your friends in the English Writers Against Twilight Club. :p:D

Ugh ill stick to Hellsing. Whats worse then Vampires? NAZI VAMPIRES!!!!:D

There are many reasons to dislike Twilight. At its heart it's nothing more than gushy fanfiction, with a heroine described in the most minimalistic of ways so as to allow the greatest number of fangirls to insert themselves into her shoes to be able to experience her story in their minds. It's a terrible example of a lack of woman's lib, the way the heroine puts her own life and desires on a shelf in order to pursue this man (yes, I realize he's a "vampire") to the exclusion of all else. It's a terrible example of neglecting friends and family for a love that you think will last forever, but that which in all probability won't, since she's young and lacks the maturity and experience needed to make an informed decision about marriage, children - real love.

When you look at it like that, a couple of spangly vampires are the least of the book's worries, don't you think?

Twilight is to real literature what a greasy burger is to an expensive, perfectly cooked steak. It might taste good, but in reality the burger is cheap and nasty and in the end, what you really want is the steak. And which is better for you?

That said, I prefer to pick my battles. As with Harry Potter, I don't agree with the content, but if it's encouraging an entire generation of young people to pick up a book and read, however bad the book might be... well. If my options are discouraging a book that disagrees with my beliefs, or encouraging literacy in whatever form, I'm afraid I'll have to choose literacy. Discerning taste can be taught later, but if you can't even get the horse to the water in the first place, you have no hope of getting it to drink.

[quote="venite_angeli, post:24, topic:249230"]
There are many reasons to dislike Twilight. At its heart it's nothing more than gushy fanfiction, with a heroine described in the most minimalistic of ways so as to allow the greatest number of fangirls to insert themselves into her shoes to be able to experience her story in their minds. It's a terrible example of a lack of woman's lib, the way the heroine puts her own life and desires on a shelf in order to pursue this man (yes, I realize he's a "vampire") to the exclusion of all else. It's a terrible example of neglecting friends and family for a love that you think will last forever, but that which in all probability won't, since she's young and lacks the maturity and experience needed to make an informed decision about marriage, children - real love.

When you look at it like that, a couple of spangly vampires are the least of the book's worries, don't you think?

Twilight to real literature what a greasy burger is to an expensive, perfectly cooked steak. It might taste good, but in reality it's cheap and nasty and in the end, what you really want is the steak. And which is better for you?

That said, I prefer to pick my battles. As with Harry Potter, I don't agree with the content, but if it's encouraging an entire generation of young people to pick up a book and read, however bad the book might be... well. If my options are discouraging a book that disagrees with my beliefs, or encouraging literacy in whatever form, I'm afraid I'll have to choose literacy. Discerning taste can be taught later, but if you can't even get the horse to the water in the first place, you have no hope of getting it to drink.

[/quote]

Or sometimes you just want a really juicy, fat, greasy burger. Actually both the steak and the burger wouldn't be that good for you, should only eat red meat on occasion, not a steady diet. Better stick to the chicken.

[quote="venite_angeli, post:24, topic:249230"]

Twilight is to real literature what a greasy burger is to an expensive, perfectly cooked steak. It might taste good, but in reality the burger is cheap and nasty and in the end, what you really want is the steak. And which is better for you?

[/quote]

What kind of burger are you eating???? Grass fed, organic, 85/15 or 90/10 burger way better than a corn fed pesticide filled steak... Plus maybe you just don't know how to cook it... Oh, but a grass fed steak... Yummy... as long as it hasn't been dry aged... Can't STAND that stuff... I don't care what people think... Maybe to each his own is legit? Quality red meat is good for you...

Twighlight series... OP, are you aware the Cullens drink animal not human blood? I think Bella is raised on animal blood. Been a while since I read it. And of course, if you eat a burger, or any meat, you ingest blood all the time?

See, I take these stories as VERY PRETEND... As we know, vampires aren't real... So, if this book is promoting anything I PERSONALLY look to the components that ARE real. Young relationships. Struggles with purity and such. Sure, call Edward a pedophile. He's the character in the book that insists they don't have a sexual relationship until they are married. Something he doesn't believe is a good idea... but he fails at... He's worried through the entire series that he's lost his soul do to his transformation. But if he lost his soul, why would he care? He still seems have the will to live, and doesn't want to commit suicide.

It can certainly be argued whether this series is written well or not. I've gathered they are the authors first attempts. The first of many good authors pretty much stink... But I found the author took a pretend situation, and wove into it her own moral code, and the struggles that we all have to maintain... Good idea? Bad idea?

All I know is that it was a quite profitable idea...

[quote="Anonymousanonym, post:18, topic:249230"]
I do. The drinking / eating of blood is condemned in the Bible.

[/quote]

You need to understand the circumstances vampires face. Generally, a vampire will become terribly weak without blood. It's the price of their immortality and their power.

Granted there are a lot of philosophical questions that are opened when we create a fantasy world were they exist. We can't simply dismiss them just because 'the Bible said so'.

Why would you want to become something liket hat?

[/quote]

I personally don't want to be one but who's to say that you can really blame all fictional vampires for being what they are? I know some vampires who were born that way. Others became such against their will. Other still carry the blood of vampires in their blood through no fault of their own.

I wouldn't do something God condemns, even for someone I love. I wouldn't drink blood for someone I love, and I wouldn't practice 'magic' for someone I love.

[/quote]

Please remember that you are talking about a different context. This is fiction, not reality we're discussing. Rules you think apply, even ones you believe Christianity enforces, may not necessarily be so. I've seen enough of fantasy to say that both magic and vampires are good examples of that.

Not a big twilight fan but then again I'm not in the targeted age range. I am a big True Blood Fan though. Twilight gives young girls a warped sense of romance. Edward is a little too obsessed with Bella and she with him. He's over controlling and show a depth of devotion that's a bit unhealthy. Just my humble opinion.

If you're into vampires I still think Forever Knight or the Original Buffy the Vampire Slayer are your best options. Oh don't forget the original "Lost Boys" either.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:29, topic:249230"]
If you're into vampires I still think Forever Knight or the Original Buffy the Vampire Slayer are your best options. Oh don't forget the original "Lost Boys" either.

[/quote]

Yeah Lost Boys,i forgot all about that.:thumbsup:

kinda relevent. Makes fun of Twilights story line. soem cursing

escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/3770-Imagine-If-You-Will

Love to go to the Twilight movies with my daughter and heckle them. ;)

I enjoy a good vampire story. Fritz Leiber, More Than Human. Richard Matheson, I Am Legend. Suzy McKee Charnas, Vampire Tapestry. Poppy Brite, Lost Souls. Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot. Whitley Streiber, The Hunger. Lots of other stuff.

Yeah. What is a hundred year-old man doing with a teenaged girl? He stalks her; keeps her from her friends... She needs a restraining order and a safety plan! I'll take Harry Potter any day over this mess. Bella is by no means a decent role model for our girlies.

Speaking of, you all should see Vampires Suck. It's just like the Twilight movies, just intentionally funny and campy! :thumbsup:

Cara

[quote="ScareBear, post:32, topic:249230"]
Love to go to the Twilight movies with my daughter and heckle them. ;)

I enjoy a good vampire story. Fritz Leiber, More Than Human. Richard Matheson, I Am Legend. Suzy McKee Charnas, Vampire Tapestry. Poppy Brite, Lost Souls. Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot. Whitley Streiber, The Hunger. Lots of other stuff.

Yeah. What is a hundred year-old man doing with a teenaged girl? He stalks her; keeps her from her friends... She needs a restraining order and a safety plan! I'll take Harry Potter any day over this mess. Bella is by no means a decent role model for our girlies.

Speaking of, you all should see Vampires Suck. It's just like the Twilight movies, just intentionally funny and campy! :thumbsup:

Cara

[/quote]

I don't really like the vampires myself. I do like the characters that are 'special' in some way, with some other worldly power. However I hate occult practices in real life, and would never do them, they arent occult really. Read Graceling, it is very good! Now that is much better!

spoiler
spoiler

Po even insists on being left behind so Katsa and Bitterblue can escape. However, one thing they do that is specifically condemened in the Bible (she's born with her Grace, so I don't think it's witchcraft, which is a choice). She looses her virtue before mariage, she even insists she does not wish to be married.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.