Two children should be limit, says green guru

From The Sunday Times
February 1, 2009

Two children should be limit, says green guru
Sarah-Kate Templeton, Health Editor

COUPLES who have more than two children are being “irresponsible” by creating an unbearable burden on the environment, the government’s green adviser has warned.

Jonathon Porritt, who chairs the government’s Sustainable Development Commission, says curbing population growth through contraception and abortion must be at the heart of policies to fight global warming. He says political leaders and green campaigners should stop dodging the issue of environmental harm caused by an expanding population.

A report by the commission, to be published next month, will say that governments must reduce population growth through better family planning.

“I am unapologetic about asking people to connect up their own responsibility for their total environmental footprint and how they decide to procreate and how many children they think are appropriate,” Porritt said.

“I think we will work our way towards a position that says that having more than two children is irresponsible. It is the ghost at the table. We have all these big issues that everybody is looking at and then you don’t really hear anyone say the “p” word. …”

Source and full article: women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article5627634.ece

IIRC, two children per couple is a little bit below the rate of replacement, which I think is actually 2.1 children per woman. And I get the feeling that “no more than two children” doesn’t mean they’re encouraging all couples to have that many children. Maybe the unapologetic government official should ask the Russians what a demographic decline is like.

We have three kids, but I think the fact that we don’t use paper towels and limit car trips balances it all out. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s finally official. Being green means limiting human population.

What if the third child was Al Gore?
What if the third child is the greatest environmentalist ever?

It is just wrong-headed to treat human beings as problems instead of problem-solvers.

For being environmentalists, these people certainly do not respect the natural order. Limiting births like this is really a strange and unnatural behavior.

I say we do things the natural way - be fruitful and multiply.

Oh Boy! Not this again.
I remember hearing a lot of this in the 70’s and 80’s making one feel guilty for having ANY kids. But then it seems to have died down for awhile when the baby boomers failed to replace themselves.(With some rare exceptions). Now it seems, at least in the area I live, the 20 and 30 somethings are starting to have 3-5 kids again- and so they’re dragging out this tired old saw again.
Every Western country is below replacement level,USA is barely at replacement level. Western Europe, Japan, Ect are far below replacement level. What kind of a burden will the remaining young population have when all the older ones need care? The younger generations tax burden will be huge.
For a peak into the REAL agenda of the Popcon movement read
"The War against People" by Jaqueline Kasun

Ooooo, I’m irresponsible X 3—what do I get for my crime? How’s about I’ll stay out of their family #'s and they stay out of mine.
Btw, I’ll bet when I carry 8 people in my SUV (which is most of the time), I get better miles per gallon per person than smaller families :smiley:

(sigh) I am so tired of these anal greenies worrying about what everybody does except themselves.

Tell you what: if you think it’s “irresponsible” to have more than two children, don’t have any more than two.

As for the rest of us, leave us alone.

We’ve only been blessed with one, and it looks like it will stay that way, so we balance you out anyway. :smiley:

The “guru” says that from one side of his mouth, wanting to force couples to not have more than 2 children, and yet the guru probably would say that abortion vs giving birth is a “private” matter.

Excellent point.

It has been official for a long time. :shrug:

This “expert’s” statement is absolutely repugnant.

Why should people limit the number of children they have? If there is a problem with pollution, deal with that problem, if there are food shortages, deal with that also, but why bring population into it? Macau is very densely populated, but has one of the highest life expectancies in the world.

There is plenty of food to go around the world with everyone having plenty. Pollution is a problem, but reducing people to stop it is like saying, no enough people are educated so the solution is to kill all the uneducated people.

6 billion people are making this much pollution, but what if 1 billion were making the same amount or 50 million? Would these be considered overpopulation also?

And by more people, you will get more scientists and maybe one of them will solve the pollution issue.

I really don’t mean to be rude, but that statement made me really curious, so I went to go look at the data. Macau may not be the best example to use in a case like this. They actually have the lowest fertility rate in the world. :blush:

And when you look at the data (which I’ve plotted below), there is a strong negative correlation between life expectancy and fertility.

Sorry to go against the current here.

Wouldn’t imposing a two child rule be going against the supposed “freedom of choice”? (:eek: )

Just goes to show that these people will go against their own rules just to ensure that we make “the right choice.”

Exactly. They speak out of both sides of their mouths, but we’re supposed to do as they say, not as they do.

haha, good point.

True in terms of low fertility rate. but we’re only talking about density, not fertility. I guess the point I’m trying ot make is that most countries could have a lot more people and the world in general could, so to say there’s too many people like that is false. but I think I have to look into this more.

I’m thankful my mom didn’t pay any attention to this stuff. I would not be here today, being the third born of our family. This sort of sounds like Communist China with their forced abortion policies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.