Two-entirely unrelated questions. Should be interesting

Any other long-distance, long-term couples out there? My boyfriend and I are coming up on our second-year anniversery, and are looking forward to however much time is left on my ticker before we can get married. We do like to talk, but sometimes we just don’t have that much to say. Does anyone have any ideas for things we can do together when we’re apart? We use Skype (may God’s blessings pour down on those who created that program!) to talk… I read aloud from books to him sometimes, and we’ve recently taken up playing World of Warcraft together, a massively-multiplayer online game. We’re geeks, what can I say? :stuck_out_tongue: And we’re learning about each other as we play; like, I like to use the map, he doesn’t; how we react when we have to get the other’s attention fast, etc. We also have ‘movie nights’ where we both obtain a copy of the same movie, then play them on our computers simultaneously while keeping connected via Skype.

Does anyone else have ideas of other things we can DO? Things we can/should discuss pertaining to marriage, life, the universe, and everything? We’ve been through several of those online question lists. ^^;;

My second question: is it possible to cook microwave popcorn, the kind in a pre-packaged bag, without a microwave, using just an oven or stove or even a toaster? Or will the bag just burn? I’m asking because the apartment I’m subletting for the summer hasn’t gotten a microwave quite yet, though we will get one soon, and I’m craving popcorn. We have some of the microwave sort mentioned above, and I didn’t see any of the sort you can cook on the stove when I was at the grocery store earlier. :frowning: So, is it possible?

No, don’t attempt to cook microwave popcorn in the oven.

DH and I were long distance, but we never really ran out of things to talk about. Sometimes, our conversation would be short, but usually we found plenty to talk about. We did pray together.

Why not just buy some popcorn kernels in a bag or jar and some oil, and pop it in a kettle with a lid on the stove? I would not attempt to use the microwave popcorn in any other fashion, but the kernels and oil are cheap. Try making it the old-fashioned way.

Dh and I were long distance for 3 years. We were both in post graduate school and pretty busy, but we spoke briefly every day. If we didn’t have a lot to say one day, we just cut it short. Usually we had plenty to talk about.

Instead of microwave popcorn, why don’t you try the jiffypop — the one made for over a campfire. It works great on the stove.

For the first one: go to a coffee shop with a nice view both of you and talk on the phone while enjoying the view. Alright maybe not the most fun, but its kidna like being together on a date.
As for the second, if you open the bag and cook the kernels the old fashon way on a stove, then maybe that would work.

I wouldn’t chance it. The microwave stuff has the butter and salt in the packet already too. It would probably turn into a burnt mess. Save it until you get a microwave, and buy regular kernels and oil for popping on the stove.

In order to answer the popcorn question I need to know whether you have renters insurance.

Instead of going out and buying all that stuff, why not start knocking on doors and meet your neighbors. They’ll think it was cute that you needed to borrow their microwave.

Not necessarily. I would not think neighbours are cute if they suddenly started knocking on my door asking to use my stuff. One of my friends let a neighbour in to use the phone, and the woman, who was obviously unstable, did not want to leave. I would hesitate to let in a neighbour without really knowing him/her first. The only neighbours in my building that I will let in my apartment are my friends from church whom I have known for a long time.

Neat idea, if I had a cell phone :stuck_out_tongue: Hmm, but the one coffee shop in town does have wireless… ^^ You’ve sparked an idea, thanks.

YOU’RE A GENIUS! My friend just down the street has a microwave, I can go use his! Not quite the same as meeting the neighbors, but it’ll work. ^^

God bless jiffypop! The only difficulty is that the store that sells it is a fair walk from my place, and I have a bad knee… but perhaps one of my apartment-mates would be willing to go get some. They likes popcorn, too.

I’m afraid of heating oil like that. :blush: I might be able to convince my apartment-mate who has absolutely no fear of burning herself to do it…

For a tiny bit of clarification, we haven’t run out of things to talk about… but I would like to be able to DO more with him. Go for (short) walks (or get him to carry me :stuck_out_tongue: ), garden together, volunteer at some event together, go out to dinner/movie, do puzzles, play guitar/piano/sing/dance together, just sit together, hugging, but not saying anything, visit each other’s families… but, most of the time, I can’t. I’m trying to think of things we can DO from a distance. Thank God for computers and internet, otherwise I wouldn’t even be asking this, I’d be busy writing letters to him, like my parents did… ^^

Well, definitely don’t try to use the microwave popcorn on the stove.

If you have oven mitts, you won’t burn yourself. Here’s a link on how to make popcorn. articleblender.com/Article/How-To-Make-Popcorn/89379

It really doesn’t take a lot of oil to cook popcorn. A few tablespoons in the bottom of a big pot should do it. If you’ve sauteed food before, it’s not much more oil than that.

The link I gave said you don’t want too much oil. You want popped corn, not fried corn.

10 months together and we’re doing the long distance thing too. It’s hard on both of us, he came up to visit but when he had to go, I was fighting back tears and he looked so sad when we said goodbye, I was surprised I didn’t break down. :frowning:

We usually email and call each other when we can. He’s teaching me how to play his fav online game which is cool, because we can play against each other and talk more, even when we’re apart. It also gives us common ground, since I tend to like a lot of the same things he likes (part of the reason we ended up together: common interests). We do run out of things to say at times, and it can be awkward when we haven’t been face to face or at least on the phone for awhile. Yet sometimes, it’s nice just to sit close to him, to be in his company, and no words are necessary. We are also always debating about something, whether it’s religion (he’s not Catholic), politics (usually we agree, but he’s pro capital punishment and I’m against it), or something else. We also sing and have a similar taste in music, so it isn’t uncommon to find us turning on some music and just belting out emotion. It’s hard but we always find something to do together and we both are committed to making it work.

buy popped popcorn in the plastic bags.

the entire purpose of this phase of the relationship is learning how to be together, how to talk, how to share, how to communicate, how to me intimate in mind, thoughts, plans, desires. This is the time to find out what you have in common about things that matter: your world view, the place of God in your life, your ideas on work, family, children, where to live, how to live, priorities, what is important to you, what are your goals, what is your strategy to meet those goals. Learning how to be quiet together is also essential.

I don’t know if this would work for you, but my wife and I, combined age of 119 - so we’re not young, are doing bible study. We talk more now then we ever have.

If bible study doesn’t work, how about some other area. You’re geeks, how about programming, math, stats, etc? How about learning a language neither of you know? How about something neither of you know anything about?

BTW, I gave up World of Warcraft and am totally into Lord of the Rings On-line.

God bless you.

Get an air popper www1.shopping.com/xPO-Toastmaster-6203 You can even find one for under $20…In fact, it’s better for you…less oil and saturated fats.

Write love letters. We still cherish ours immensely and it’s been over 30 years since we wrote them to each other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.