Two female godparents?

Hi,

I have been invited to witness my friend’s son’s upcoming March baptism. Last week, my friend hosted a dinner and invited the witnesses, the priest, and the 2 female godparents.

I was surprised that same sex godparents were allowed. The priest said that most parishes do not allow this, but his does.

Since then, I have spoken to my parish’s priest who says that this is not allowed. Also the code of canon law (873) does not allow it. I called the first priest to discuss this, but he only said that his Church allows this.

What should I do next? Should I even witness the baptism? Will the baptism be valid?

[quote=glennw]Hi,

I have been invited to witness my friend’s son’s upcoming March baptism. Last week, my friend hosted a dinner and invited the witnesses, the priest, and the 2 female godparents.

I was surprised that same sex godparents were allowed. The priest said that most parishes do not allow this, but his does.

Since then, I have spoken to my parish’s priest who says that this is not allowed. Also the code of canon law (873) does not allow it. I called the first priest to discuss this, but he only said that his Church allows this.

What should I do next? Should I even witness the baptism? Will the baptism be valid?
[/quote]

The baptism will be valid. I would recommend not attending, because that will prevent you from giving implied consent to the illicit procedure. I would also recommend contacting your bishop. What area is this occurring in?

Hi

This is in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Is it possible that the Bishop has made different local rules? I doubt is as it is clearly contrary to canon law.

[quote=glennw]Hi

This is in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Is it possible that the Bishop has made different local rules? I doubt is as it is clearly contrary to canon law.
[/quote]

It sounds to me like this is simply the case of a liberal prist who doesn’t care what the Church teaches. I would inquire to if he supports gay marriage - I would guess he does.

Grace and Peace be with you all,

When I read stuff like this I realize that we, as a Church, are in a lot of trouble. We don’t have a lot of religious to go around and some of the ones that are our priest honestly shouldn’t be but what are you going to do? I mean it’s an issue of ‘limited supply’ and ‘hight demand’.

This kind of stuff really upsets me.

Peace, Love and Blessings.

[quote=glennw]Hi,

[/quote]

Are you Catholic? If so I would write the Bishop since you have already spoken with the priest involved with the illicit but still valid Baptism.

[quote=chrisb]Grace and Peace be with you all,

When I read stuff like this I realize that we, as a Church, are in a lot of trouble. We don’t have a lot of religious to go around and some of the ones that are our priest honestly shouldn’t be but what are you going to do? I mean it’s an issue of ‘limited supply’ and ‘hight demand’.

This kind of stuff really upsets me.

Peace, Love and Blessings.
[/quote]

The seminaries are far, far better than they were. THis problem should decrease as the years go by (hopefully).

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Are you Catholic? If so I would write the Bishop since you have already spoken with the priest involved with the illicit but still valid Baptism.
[/quote]

I am Catholic and have sent the Bishop an email.

I can never figure out exactly where to write emails to. I am in the Archdiocese of Boston, but when I goto the website, I am not sure to which address to email. :confused:

personally, from my experience, emails don’t get answered. honestly, a phone call is better.

i am surprised to hear that the baptism is illicit.

What does it exactly mean to be illicit?

I thought it meant that there was an impediment to the grace that the Sacrament gives.

How could the actions of others be an impediment to the child receiving the graces of the Sacrament?

One question on this topic: I thought that I read that you only need one godparent. Is that true? In that case, does it really matter if they are both same sex?

Thanks.

[quote=Dan-Man916]i am surprised to hear that the baptism is illicit.

What does it exactly mean to be illicit?

I thought it meant that there was an impediment to the grace that the Sacrament gives.

How could the actions of others be an impediment to the child receiving the graces of the Sacrament?
[/quote]

Illicit means basically that something was not done according to the law or rules. Illicit does not necessarly mean invalid.

[quote=ChiFaithful]One question on this topic: I thought that I read that you only need one godparent. Is that true? In that case, does it really matter if they are both same sex?

Thanks.
[/quote]

That is correct you only need one Catholic Godparent. You can have another Catholic Godparent or a Baptized Christian Witness of the opposite gender of the first Godparent if you wish.

How about 3? Normally what was done in my most recent parish (before changing Churches) was that the same sex couple would stand up together but only one would be the godparent of record, then there would be someone of the other gender would be the other godparent of record. But they would all 3 standup and make the promises.

[quote=a_cermak]How about 3? Normally what was done in my most recent parish (before changing Churches) was that the same sex couple would stand up together but only one would be the godparent of record, then there would be someone of the other gender would be the other godparent of record. But they would all 3 standup and make the promises.
[/quote]

(For a non-emergenct Baptism)

Canon law says that there must be one Catholic Godparent (meeting the requirements) of either gender. You can have another Catholic Godparent or a Baptized Christian Witness of the opposite gender along with this first Catholic Godparent. Usually only the Catholic Godparent(s) are recorded in the Baptismal register. The CW may be noted in the margin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.