Two Films for Consideration: Millions (2004) & Tree of Life (2011)

Millions is a touching story with lots of laughs. Based on the novel Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce, and adapted to screen by Danny Boyle, Millions celebrates the goodness of faith and the beauty of innocence, as well as the power that exists in love to transform those who experience it. Encouraged is the beautiful vision of God that Damian holds, even if Millions recognizes that, as we get older, such a vision will be harder to maintain.

I provide a more in-depth review here.

Tree of Life is a little more different to neatly summarize. It is a film, to quote Ebert, of “vast ambition and deep humility.” Ebert writes how there were once several directors who yearned to make no less than a masterpiece, but now there are only a few. Director Terrence Malick, in Ebert’s view, has stayed true to that hope ever since his first feature film in 1973, and I suppose it is for the viewer to decide how close Malick comes to succeeding.

I provide a more in-depth review here (with more help in describing the story).

Follow the links and let’s converse.

Kelly

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.