Two Grace Questions

Hi,

Is actual grace the same as prevenient grace?

Please let me know if my statement sounds correct:

We receive grace to receive the sacraments / sacramentals and then in turn we receive more grace from the sacraments / sacramentals in which sanctifies us and helps us to desire to pass on this grace onto others through good works and prayers, etc. So we don't earn the grace, since Christ earned the grace on the cross for us, but we partake in Jesus' earned grace as we are one with his life, passion, death, burial, and resurrection (life).

I guess my main problem was with somehow me earning grace through going to the sacraments, but if i look at grace being something that isn't earned, but a free gift from God ( i know Protestants believe it is ), and I think also Catholicism teaches, then it is something i freely received and can pass on. Do we pass on grace through prayer and servicing / loving others?

Thank you for helping me to better understand!
Brian

No, we do not. "Grace" in general language has a broader meaning, such as goodness, love, holiness. So be careful not to confuse it with the Catholic meaning. God gives you Sanctifying Grace thought the sacraments. This may help you be loving to others. You are improved spiritually that is, by God's sacramental grace. But when you love someone or are kind to them, you are not actually passing along that grace. You do not have the power to bestow grace, it is God's gift. Even the sacraments - though through the actions and hands of the priest, it is God giving grace, not the priest.

Hope that helps a bit. Someone else will probably post a more theologically solid explanation.

[quote="GodHeals, post:1, topic:322097"]
Hi,

Is actual grace the same as prevenient grace?

Please let me know if my statement sounds correct:

We receive grace to receive the sacraments / sacramentals and then in turn we receive more grace from the sacraments / sacramentals in which sanctifies us and helps us to desire to pass on this grace onto others through good works and prayers, etc. So we don't earn the grace, since Christ earned the grace on the cross for us, but we partake in Jesus' earned grace as we are one with his life, passion, death, burial, and resurrection (life).

I guess my main problem was with somehow me earning grace through going to the sacraments, but if i look at grace being something that isn't earned, but a free gift from God ( i know Protestants believe it is ), and I think also Catholicism teaches, then it is something i freely received and can pass on. Do we pass on grace through prayer and servicing / loving others?

Thank you for helping me to better understand!
Brian

[/quote]

No, grace is our relationship with God. It isn't quantifiable. It isn't something we store up. Grace is our relationship with God - or in regards to your question- your-gift from God. It can be accepted, ignored or rejected, but not something we pass on ...

However, prayer is our response to God and what we are told to do for others by him. Prayer pleases God and helps other. When praying, you are not only glorifying God, but interceding for another and offering them help.

Don't know if this helps, but these are my simple thoughts from what I know and have read.

God Bless~

[quote="Rosella, post:2, topic:322097"]
No, we do not. "Grace" in general language has a broader meaning, such as goodness, love, holiness. So be careful not to confuse it with the Catholic meaning. God gives you Sanctifying Grace thought the sacraments. This may help you be loving to others. You are improved spiritually that is, by God's sacramental grace. But when you love someone or are kind to them, you are not actually passing along that grace. You do not have the power to bestow grace, it is God's gift. Even the sacraments - though through the actions and hands of the priest, it is God giving grace, not the priest.

Hope that helps a bit. Someone else will probably post a more theologically solid explanation.

[/quote]

Thank you... I know it is all God, but thought since we are participating in God's work, we also participate in the fact that the grace was passed, for eg. through our prayers (which we can only pray by the grace of God in the first place.

[quote="Bix, post:3, topic:322097"]
No, grace is our relationship with God. It isn't quantifiable. It isn't something we store up. Grace is our relationship with God - or in regards to your question- your-gift from God. It can be accepted, ignored or rejected, but not something we pass on ...

However, prayer is our response to God and what we are told to do for others by him. Prayer pleases God and helps other. When praying, you are not only glorifying God, but interceding for another and offering them help.

Don't know if this helps, but these are my simple thoughts from what I know and have read.

God Bless~

[/quote]

Thank you for your help!
God Bless You!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.