Two Hauntingly Beautiful Renditions of "Agnus Dei"

Just thought I’d share the two most beautiful pieces of music I’ve heard in a while, both of which I discovered today:

Agnus Dei, set to “Adaggio for Strings” by Samuel Barber:
barbersagnusdei.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/agnusdei_trinitycollege_cambridge.mp3

Agnus Dei, from Missa in Tempore Belli by Joseph Haydn:
stagnes.net/media/music/Haydn/11-AgnusDei.wma

Words:

*Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis. *
*Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis. *
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.

Translation:

*Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us. *
*Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us. *
Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, grant us peace.

Both pieces are a beautiful testament to the glory of Christ’s sacrifice; an act of mercy and humility which we must never forget.

Thanks. :slight_smile: I enjoyed them. I have no idea how people manage to find music on the internet.

The first one I found through google. The second one was linked to on the Traditional Catholicism forum in the stickied music thread. You can find lots of other really great music there. :smiley:

The first one IS amazing; it’s on a CD I bought, and the first time I heard it, I got chills! Love it. I’m always amazed at how much beauty can be found in the Church :slight_smile:

Cool! You should put the one you found by google on the sticky thread. Oh, but I checked and it is closed. You could email the moderator to put it on, if it isn’t already there.

It was actually composed in 1936, so I don’t think it would count as “traditional”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Quite so, quite so. I am made of an especially dense material, you see.:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.