Two patristic books - (Mary and the Fathers... & Four Witnesses...). Anyone have these?

One of the areas I have really been interested in studying has been that of patristics. However, most of the series or texts out discussing the Church Fathers have not seemed like what I would call approachable or better yet, readable. I spend a great deal of my time reading my study Bibles as well as books on Dominican Spirituality. However, the itch to dive into Patristics in some meaningful way has been nagging at me for some time.

With that in mind, I just ordered two books on patristics today, both of which had great reviews on Amazon.

Mary and the Fathers of the Church: The Blessed Virgin Mary in Patristic Thought
Gambero, Luigi S. M.

Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words
Bennett, Rod

I am curious to know if anyone has read these.

I would have like to get this also but they only had it in Kindle and not hard copy.

“Patristic Sermons on the Feasts of the Theotokos & Ever-Virgin Mary”
John A. Peck

Peace of Christ,

I have Rod Bennett’s Four Witnesses. I found it very approachable, not overly scholarly (just right for me), and well researched. He weaves the writings with the biographies of these four early Church Fathers in a most compelling way. Special emphasis on apologetics refuting the claims of modern Protestant Bible-only Christians.

Thank you. I have Faith of the Early Fathers by Jurgens and The Fathers Know Best by Akin but they are both more references than books meant to be read from cover to cover. I definitely want something educational in nature, but readable would be nice also! :smiley:

Peace,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.