Two pictures of Jesus

I’m currently reading two saints’ biographies at the same time: St. Margaret Mary Alacoque’s, and the Diary of St. Faustina. While there is certainly much in common, the two books are also extremely different. I am particularly struck by how differently Jesus treats the two nuns.

For instance, when He appears to Margaret, He often humbles her, rebukes her, impresses on her His great holiness and his intolerance for sin. When He appears to Faustina, He often praises her and speaks of how much He loves her and how merciful He is, says that He “delights” in her, and so forth. He never says anything like that to Margaret, at least not that I’ve found; maybe she was so humble that she didn’t want to report such things, even if he did say them to her, and so she only reported the harsh, critical things he said?

The contrast is so striking, and I’m wondering what the significance of it is. It makes sense to me that Jesus would appear gentler and more merciful if He wanted to spread the message of his mercy, but is that all? Did it have to do with Margaret’s and Faustina’s personalities being different? I’m just surprised that these two holy women experienced our Lord so differently!

Ask and you shall receive :wink:

God works in the best ways, to show us Himself, yet we are not under obligation to accept any private revelation, so if one causes you to doubt the faith than drop it and give Public Revelation, which every Christian must accept, a loving embrace. I am sure God chastised Saint Faustina and lauded Saint Margaret Mary, because I was aware of the chastisements and the pleasures which God bestowed on the latter that I also found in the former, albeit I was also aware that the pleasures were more written about than the chastisements for the latter than the former. God makes good work of His instruments, though. Nonetheless, no private revelation is in the deposit of faith.

No, I’m not doubting the faith. I like both these saints and their writings. I was just curious as to what people thought as far as why Jesus might appear to them differently in their visions. It’s not that Jesus didn’t do wonderful things for St Margaret, but she never reported him saying that he delighted in her or that he was blessing the whole world for her sake!

I could be what the world valued at the time. St. Margaret Mary Aloque lived in a time when the world viewed the church as a holy pedestal. One of the great outcomes of St. Margaret’s work was that we’re allowed to receive Communion on a weekly basis. Moreover we’re allowed to recieve DAILY if we want. The idea of daily Communion to people of St. Margaret’s time would of been deeply sacriligious. They were in heresy and suffered MANY scruples of pride and vanity. The church itself was turning into God. Therefore God’s message was about sin and rebuking. But God DID show great mercy and ask her many things. Likely, His way of handling things had to do with St. Margaret’s mindset. I think that if the more tender moments with God ever did occur they weren’t written down, and if they were written they were probably destroyed. St. Margaret was a radical for what she called the church to.

As far as St. Faustina. The church, and Faustina, were in a very different place. The church was being seen as “ugly” and “bad” and “worthless”. So how does God bring the downtrodden to Himself? He comes with great mercy and love. Did God ever correct Faustina? Sure He did…but she probably delighted in this and learned to grow. The feeling and emotion of what went into her diary was quite different.

I don’t thing Faustina was tempted to pride as much as Margaret, part of their times…Margaret lived in a very proud society, Faustina lived in one in dire need of affirmation.

Also remember that personality is deeply a part of diaries.

Think of two twin girls with parents who are completely fair. One day they fight and spill a glass of milk, and it shatters. The father comes over and tells them that they were wrong for fighting, but he’s glad they’re not hurt. One may say that she has “the worst parents ever” and focus on the reprimand the other “the best parents ever” because he cared enough to see if she was hurt.

We can only see God from our perspective. Neither of the girls were “wrong” so to speak in their assment of their parent…it was just who they were.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.