Two Pope Saints - who bear the name of "John"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

As we celebrate this Feast of Mercy Sunday and the canonization of 2 Popes: St. John XXIII and Saint John Paul II, I’m remembering the devotion to Mary which each of them showed in their lifetime. How like the Apostle John who stood with Mary beneath the Cross of Christ, they too took Mary into their lives!

Pope Saint John Paul II wrote that as a young man the reading of St. Louis De Montfort’s “True Devotion” was a turning point in his life. He consecrated himself to Jesus through Mary, and chose for his Papal Motto “Totus Tuus” (All Yours). I was reading excerpts of his encyclical on “Mother of the Redeemer” earlier this morning.

Less is known, perhaps of Pope Saint John XXIII’s devotion to Mary but it is significant to me that he opened Vatican II Council on the Feast of Mary’s Maternity, Oct. 11. I found on the internet this prayer:

Prayer of Pope John XXIII Love of Mary
Holy Immaculate Mary, help all who are in trouble. Give courage to the faint-hearted, console the sad, heal the infirm, pray for the people, intercede for the clergy, have a special care for nuns; may all feel, all enjoy your kind and powerful assistance, all who now and always render and will render, you honour, and will offer you their petitions. Hear all our prayers, O Mother, and grant them all. We are all your children: Grant the prayers of your children. Amen forever.

Pope Saints John XXIII and John Paul II, pray for us.
Mary, Mother of the Church, pray for us.
Mary, Mother of Unity pray for the human family

Thank you for a great reflection. Both popes/saints carried such a weight of responsibility during their time, and they both found comfort and strength by turning to our Blessed Mother. We can too!

My wife and I feel a special devotion to John Paul 2, since we became Catholics in 2002 under his Pontificate. (Anyone see the movie on EWTN “John Paul 2” that starred John Voight in the title role?) :thumbsup:

Dear christofirst,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I believe Mary plays a great part in the lives of all of us, even those who may not realize her loving presence and intercession. These two holy Popes now canonized saints can give all of us and especially priests and Bishops comfort as well as great courage in all the trials God permits in our lives.

St. John XXIII pray for us
St. John Paul II pray for us
Mary, Mother of the Church, pray for us.

Dear LegoGE,

Thanks so much for your reply and for sharing with us your wife’s and your special devotion to St. John Paul II. Yes, my husband and I watched that movie on EWTN. Both Parts 1 & 2 were excellent. It is for sale on Amazon if anyone wishes to purchase it. John Voigt did a remarkable job in portraying the older JPII in Part 2; the other actor in Part 1 portraying the younger JPII was also good but the second part of the movie was especially inspiring when we see the great sufferings of this Pope and his heroic virtue. I highly recommend it.

We have a son who is Baptist and wanted it explained why the Catholic Church names some people “saints” Most con-Catholic Christians believe that all believers are saints. We explained that it is similar to the way civil society names certain historic persons as “heroes” such as Washington, Jefferson, Grant, Lee, Eisenhower, Crockett, etc. These people and others earned, by their lives or careers, a special place in our memories. It is just so with ones who were Catholic and lived lives of specially heroic virtue, and are elevated as examples to be emulated, just like civil “heroes.”

Dear LegoGE,

Thanks again for sharing more. Your explanation to your Baptist son is a good one. If you can purchase the movie on JPII and invite your son to watch it with you, I think he will see the true “heroism of virtue” which Saint John Paul II lived. More on the movie HERE

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.