Two questions for NonTraditionalists and Converts to the Holy Roman Catholic Church

As a former Protestant, Baptist, Methodists, etc, were you taught that the Catholic Church had broken off from the true Church Christ instituted in the early centuries?

Do you pray to Mary the Mother of God and the Saints?

Looks like 2 different questions to me.

Want to break them up into different threads or is there some relevant link between the two?

That I recall, I never heard my Protestant surroundings say anything about the Catholic Church. Though admittedly, I did somehow pick up some negative views of the Catholic Church, so something must have been said or implied somewhere along the way.

Yes, but probably not as much as a cradle Catholic might. It takes a lot of effort to overcome the arguments against such things, even when you have intellectually repudiated them (the arguments, I mean).

Former Church of Christ member here, absolutely yes, we were the One True Church, the Catholics broke off from us.

Yep!

I was a member of a “Bible Church” and later baptised and confirmed in the Presbyterian Church. I don’t remember any discussion about the Catholic Church in the Bible Church, but in the Presbyterian Church, we did learn the history of the church during confirmation. The Catholic Church was never referred to as the “true Church Christ instituted” of course. We were taught that the Catholic Church was in error. I don’t remember anyone bringing up who the “one true Church was,” but of course we knew we were right. :slight_smile:

No saints being prayed to where I came from…certainly not Mary. That was considered one of the “errors” of the Church.

I was raised by an atheist father, but I attended church often with protestant friends growing up. My father always had a long conversation with me upon my return home detailing why Christianity and belief in God were irrational and often the product of evil desires of men. I think he usually presented the Catholic Church as the Christian church, even though I never attended a Catholic Church with my friends - there were few Catholics in my home town. The churches I went to were usually generic protestant denominations, although sometimes I attended a less mainstream southern Baptist or nondenominational type church. I don’t remember if they specifically mentioned Catholics or not, I just remember a lot of yelling and crying at these last two:rolleyes:.

I do pray to Mary every morning now with my baby daughter, although we usually include Jesus in our prayer as well as Mother Cabrini:) . I didn’t have as much trouble with the issue of Saints as I did removing my father’s lectures from my mind during the readings at mass.

Oh…I think I misunderstood the question regarding the Saints.

Yes, I pray the rosary and I pray to our Blessed Mother and some of the Saints - St. Joseph especially. This was an adjustment, because I didn’t understand the Communion of Saints fully at first. I think it took some tapes from Apologists like Pat Madrid, Curtis Martin and Scott Hahn, before I understood and started praying the rosary. My first rosary came from the Knights of Columbus, and that was about 10 years after my conversion.

Thank-you all for your responses :slight_smile:

**Yes. I say the rosary and I ask various saints to pray for me, esp. if I pass by their shrines. **

I was taught that the RCC was seriously flawed, barely Christian.
I’m still getting used to the Catholic belief about Mary and the Saints.
btw, I will be confirmed this Easter vigil! Very exciting!

Does “Protestant etc” include non-Traditionalist Catholics then? :wink:

Yes, for intercession.

Wow…congratulations…welcome. :slight_smile:

As a former Protestant, Baptist, Methodists, etc, were you taught that the Catholic Church had broken off from the true Church Christ instituted in the early centuries?

I was taught that the Catholic Church started going down the wrong road, and the Protestant branch was God’s way of putting the Church back on the right path.

Yes, I do ask Mary and the Saints to pray for me, although I was very uneasy about it for a long time. (The word “to” causes a lot of confusion for Protestants IMHO)

No most people at my Traditional Parish are converts. Just asking those converts who would not consider themselves or classify themselves as traditionalists.

I am a convert, as an adult, from the Episcopal church. I also attended the Baptist church some in college.

There was never any mention of the Catholic Church at all, that I can recall.

Yes.

I am not sure what you mean by traditionalist, but I suspect that I should not have replied to your post :frowning: sorry!

Actually I was just thinking the same thing…

Me too. I’m thinking I would have to be classified as “conservative” as opposed to “traditionalist” based on another thread discussion. I didn’t get proper training on Catholic classification when I converted…but, then that was at a “cafeteria” Catholic parish, where there was much more discussion of individual conscience and less on all of that “following the rules” stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

Depending on the individual church attitudes ranged from yes Catholicism is the descendent of the original Church but they’ve deviated in doctrine and so now are no more valid or invalid than anyone else (generally this is considered a brotherly and friendly view). On the opposite side there is Landmarkism which believes that in truth the Baptist Church is the original Church and that Catholicism is basically a paganized version of Baptism that persecuted the True Church throughout the ages. Then there are various shades in between.

In general yes it was considered that Catholicism deviated at some point the degrees and implications of this can vary greatly though. Now today this isn’t really thought about as much as it was back in the day. Except for Landmarkism these opinions are pretty vague today. Protestants are more prone today to consider Catholicism just another denomination. Though some Low Church Protestants may still consider it rather exotic.

Yes I do. Though as stated by another probably not with the same frequency as a cradle Catholic would. Not that I believe it any less I just spent 30 years not doing it as a protestant so I guess you could say it’s not my instinct.

Thanks…that was interesting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.