Two questions

Question 1: What should I do if someone isn't following Church teaching? Pray for them? Tell them? Both? Am I obligated to tell them?

Question 2: My dad was raised Catholic. He said he thinks that it doesn't matter what kind of church you go to. He says he has a personal relationship. He started going to a Baptist church when he met my mom and then he did the believer's baptism at a Baptist church. He has not been to Mass in many years, but goes to a Baptist church with my mom every once in a while. He says he still prays Catholic prayers. Should I tell him that the Catholic Church has the fullness of faith and that the Catholic Church does not teach "that it doesn't matter what Church or denomination you go to"? Am I obligated to tell him?

-Thanks

[quote="Zenkai, post:1, topic:314072"]
Question 1: What should I do if someone isn't following Church teaching? Pray for them? Tell them? Both? Am I obligated to tell them?

Question 2: My dad was raised Catholic. He said he thinks that it doesn't matter what kind of church you go to. He says he has a personal relationship. He started going to a Baptist church when he met my mom and then he did the believer's baptism at a Baptist church. He has not been to Mass in many years, but goes to a Baptist church with my mom every once in a while. He says he still prays Catholic prayers. Should I tell him that the Catholic Church has the fullness of faith and that the Catholic Church does not teach "that it doesn't matter what Church or denomination you go to"? Am I obligated to tell him?

-Thanks

[/quote]

1- Both. But do so in charity. Your relationship to this person or the situation may make you obligated.

2- Your father, as a Catholic, is not fulfilling his holy days of obligation, even when he goes to a Baptist service on Sunday. I would bring these things to his attention but again, in love. Let him know your concern is due to your love for him. Ultimately though, you will have to let him make the decision but never accept his position. Whenever HE BRINGS IT UP, you need to correct him in truth and love. Justice demands we do this.

[quote="shocktrooper, post:2, topic:314072"]
1- Both. But do so in charity. Your relationship to this person or the situation may make you obligated.

2- Your father, as a Catholic, is not fulfilling his holy days of obligation, even when he goes to a Baptist service on Sunday. I would bring these things to his attention but again, in love. Let him know your concern is due to your love for him. Ultimately though, you will have to let him make the decision but never accept his position. Whenever HE BRINGS IT UP, you need to correct him in truth and love. Justice demands we do this.

[/quote]

Thanks for the response.

So I shouldn't bring it up, but correct him if he brings it up?

I would have a heart to heart with him and lay out your concern and what the Catholic Church teaches. After that, I would back off unless he brings it up again in your presence.

Also, and even more important, never stop praying for him. And do penance for him, fasting and abstinence if possible.

I see you are in the process of becoming Catholic. The best thing you can do is be a shining example of a faithful Catholic to Christ and His Church.

I pray that your actions may bear fruit. God bless.

Thank you for your responses! :slight_smile:

Also, I’d maybe ask him the following, in the process of talking to him about it: Why would you not want to participate in the Catholic services, where Jesus is most f ully present? Remind him that Jesus is not present in Protestant services in the same way as the Catholic Mass. You can literally see Jesus during the Catholic Mass and in Adoration, if your church has it. Ask him why he wouldn’t want that, since he is not getting it at the Baptist church he goes to.

Zen,

How old are you and do you still live with your parents?

[quote="CopticChristian, post:8, topic:314072"]
Zen,

How old are you and do you still live with your parents?

[/quote]

I'm 19. I stay in the dorms at my university during the school week, but I come home on Fridays and stay there until Sunday nights.

I’ve mentioned the Real Presence to him before. Perhaps I should mention it again.

Zen,

It would appear that you are getting educated and still get supported by your parents to some extent.

As a child you can do many things. What I am proposing for you is a way of thinking that you may see in many of the posts I make concerning a frame of mind. It is important to have a frame of mind to be able to speak to your father. I am also going to suggest some simple things that have to do with selling.

When you want to sell anything you have to get a series of “yes” before you ask for the final “yes” to the sale. Understand this.

Next understand that the more you know about your Faith the better you will be able to explain it. The USA Catechism for Adults USA is a great way to get grounded, understand, and be able to explain what it is you understand….it costs about $42.00 on Amazon. The Catechism is divided into 4 parts.

Profession of Faith
Sacramental Life
Life in Christ
Prayer

With that in mind you are setting out on a journey to Catechize your Father, you have to be Catechized to do this……

Here you should understand that when you speak to him about anything you have to know what frame of reference you are drawing this information from……for instance…

We believe (I believe ) in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begottenSon of God, and born of the Father before all ages. (God of God ) light of light, true God of true God. Begotten not made, consubstantial to the Father, by whom all things were made. Who for usmen and for our salvation came down from heaven. And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made man ; was crucified also for us underPontius Pilate, suffered and wasburied ; and the third day rose again according to the Scriptures. And ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of the Father, and shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, of whose Kingdom there shall be no end. And (I believe ) in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceeds from the Father (and the Son ), who together with the Father and the Son is to be adored and glorified, who spoke by theProphets. And one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We confess (I confess) one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for (I look for) theresurrection of the dead and thelife of the world to come. Amen."

This is the profession of Faith…knowing he is leaning Baptist, knowing he is hearing Jesus/Jesus/Jesus…go right to the heart of where you know his head is…but don’t go to the point you know he is probably having trouble with.

So, do not go directly to the issue, rather circle it….in other words the issue is loss of Faith in the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Faith….

Preface your conversations with this…

Dad, I am grateful for what you and mom have done for me……

Dad, you know that there are people that I go to school with that do not know that Jesus

Is the Son of God, many do not know that He is truly God, that He and the Father are one…it is hard to have them understand that the Virgin Birth/Holy Ghost thing is real, that God was truly man, was crucified and died but for a reason…many cannot believe that he was buried and rose from the dead and all that is recorded in Scripture….thank you for that Gift dad……

What you have done is paraphrased the following…

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begottenSon of God, and born of the Father before all ages. (God of God ) light of light, true God of true God. Begotten not made, consubstantial to the Father, by whom all things were made. Who for usmen and for our salvation came down from heaven. And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made man ; was crucified also for us underPontius Pilate, suffered and wasburied ; and the third day rose again according to the Scriptures.

from the Creed…if you can get him to agree to this…then all you have to do is paraphrase everything except the part in red…leave that for another time…

He will agree that you love him
He will agree with all that you paraphrased…so you have gotten him to agree and the key is to continue to get him to agree until you reach the point of addressing the issue you know he may not agree on…

Does this make sense?

Zen,

The other thing I would do is get hold of a KJV of the Bible with Apocrypha and look at this link of the original King James…found here…

sceti.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?textID=kjbible&PagePosition=1

amazon.com/Holy-Bible-James-Version-Apocrypha/dp/1480007889/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1360621708&sr=8-6&keywords=king+james+with+apocrypha

Read the Bible for your own edification however you may want to have it in his presence. You will use this later when you discuss the origins of the Bible with your dad…

Holy Bible: King James Version With Apocrypha [Paperback]

[quote="CopticChristian, post:11, topic:314072"]
Zen,

It would appear that you are getting educated and still get supported by your parents to some extent.

As a child you can do many things. What I am proposing for you is a way of thinking that you may see in many of the posts I make concerning a frame of mind. It is important to have a frame of mind to be able to speak to your father. I am also going to suggest some simple things that have to do with selling.

When you want to sell anything you have to get a series of “yes” before you ask for the final “yes” to the sale. Understand this.

Next understand that the more you know about your Faith the better you will be able to explain it. The USA Catechism for Adults USA is a great way to get grounded, understand, and be able to explain what it is you understand….it costs about $42.00 on Amazon. The Catechism is divided into 4 parts.

Profession of Faith
Sacramental Life
Life in Christ
Prayer

With that in mind you are setting out on a journey to Catechize your Father, you have to be Catechized to do this…..

Here you should understand that when you speak to him about anything you have to know what frame of reference you are drawing this information from…..for instance…

This is the profession of Faith...knowing he is leaning Baptist, knowing he is hearing Jesus/Jesus/Jesus......go right to the heart of where you know his head is....but don't go to the point you know he is probably having trouble with.

So, do not go directly to the issue, rather circle it….in other words the issue is loss of Faith in the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Faith….

Preface your conversations with this…

Dad, I am grateful for what you and mom have done for me…..

Dad, you know that there are people that I go to school with that do not know that Jesus

Is the Son of God, many do not know that He is truly God, that He and the Father are one…it is hard to have them understand that the Virgin Birth/Holy Ghost thing is real, that God was truly man, was crucified and died but for a reason…many cannot believe that he was buried and rose from the dead and all that is recorded in Scripture….thank you for that Gift dad…..

What you have done is paraphrased the following...

from the Creed....if you can get him to agree to this...then all you have to do is paraphrase everything except the part in red....leave that for another time...

He will agree that you love him
He will agree with all that you paraphrased....so you have gotten him to agree and the key is to continue to get him to agree until you reach the point of addressing the issue you know he may not agree on...

Does this make sense?

[/quote]

Thanks for the responses! I see the paperback version of the US Catholic Catechism for Adults for $13.56 on amazon.

Zen,

Get the audio

the entire CCC is always here:

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Kmaaj,

You miss the point of the suggestion.

What you refer to is the Universal Catechism…this Catechism is a template that local Catechisms like the Adult Catechism USA is based on.

The USA Catechism for Adults has the same information with stories of saints…questions, explanations…

The Universal Catechism is a dry read…filled with information…the USA Catechism for adults comes with more than just information related to what you see at this website. The audio version has music, facts from the Universal Catechism, explanations, inquiry, etc…

So, you are correct, however you miss the point…I have been through the audio over a dozen times…it is difficult to read through this online version a dozen times…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.