Two Spirits?

I’ve posted this in other forums and nobody can answer this question. I find it difficult myself to see it one way or another in Scripture. So, here it is.
We are born with a soul (spirit). Now if we become demon possessed or have the Holy Spirit come into us do we then have two spirits inside of us? Our original plus the other? Or do they just take over the spirit we already have?

If you say they take over our spirit, then when they leave us what kind of spirit are we left with?

groovygroovy

My :twocents: …

If you think of the soul as a race horse, then the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the soul is a race horse with a jockey in the saddle. The Holy Spirit gently guides the soul which He indwells. However, just as a race horse may choose to ignore the jockey’s commands or choose to throw the jockey off altogether, a Christian can choose to ignore the gentle guidance of the Holy Spirit through venial sin or choose to kick out the Holy Spirit from the soul altogether through committing mortal sin.

Or again, if you think of the soul as a homeowner, then the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is a homeowner who has invited a guest (the Holy Spirit) inside his home. Just as a homeowner can listen to his guest or kick his guest out of his house, the soul can ignore the Holy Spirit through venial sin or kick the Holy Spirit out of his soul through mortal sin.

If you think of the soul as a homeowner, then demonic possession is a homeowner, who has been overpowered and tied up in his own house by a robber, who uses the house for his own purposes. Just as the helpless homeowner cannot regain control of his house until the robber leaves of his own accord or is himself overpower by someone stronger, the soul won’t be dispossed of the demon until the demon leaves of his own accord or is overpower by someone stronger, like an exorcist working in the name of Jesus.

Thank you, I agree completley. However, I do not think you know what I am asking. So, here it is again. We are born with a soul (spirit). Now, when either we are demon possessed or when we have the Holy Spirit come into us do we then have two “Different” spirts inside of us? 1) Our original spirit and 2) either the demon or the Holy Spirit, or do these spirits simply take control over our original spirit?

I hope this helps,
groovygroovy

I think Church Fathers (and Paul) distinguish between the soul and the spirit. 1 Thess 5:23: May the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I think (and here is where I’m unsure of my claims) that our soul is inclined towards the Spirit or the flesh (whereas in our glorified resurrected bodies, our flesh is inclined towards the Spirit as well). What Spirit it is that dwells in you is questionable – demonic possession, since demons are beings of spirit (and are not souls) would either replace or wage war with the Spirit of God in you.

But I don’t know this for certain and don’t have the time to back up my claims right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.