Tyndale

A while back I found the Original and True Douay Rheims bible available online in 4 volumes, and thinking knowing this was the first Catholic Church approved English translation of the book, I decided to make this the first bible I ever bought. Later I discovered that there were previous English Bibles: The Great Bible, and the Tyndale Bible (never completed). Knowing that these earlier bibles did not translate from the latin but only from before the latin, and without knowing latin well enough myself to read The Latin Vulgates (multiple versions?), how do I know if the D-R bible I have now, which was translated from The Vulgate, is more accurate than the above-mentioned Protestant versions, except for the Apostolic Tradition?

[quote="ett, post:1, topic:317913"]
A while back I found the Original and True Douay Rheims bible available online in 4 volumes, and thinking knowing this was the first Catholic Church approved English translation of the book, I decided to make this the first bible I ever bought. Later I discovered that there were previous English Bibles: The Great Bible, and the Tyndale Bible (never completed). Knowing that these earlier bibles did not translate from the latin but only from before the latin, and without knowing latin well enough myself to read The Latin Vulgates (multiple versions?), how do I know if the D-R bible I have now, which was translated from The Vulgate, is more accurate than the above-mentioned Protestant versions, except for the Apostolic Tradition?

[/quote]

I think the fact that it is translated in a fashion that the Church approved of should show it to be more accurate. Or do you mean a more literal translation, rather than accurate? Because the DR, from what I understand, is one of the more literal translations. Also, since the Tyndale bible was translated by one priest, who went against the authority of the Church, and published a bible known to have heresy, should also speak for itself.

...except for the Apostolic Tradition?

[/quote]

You have identified the sole reason to stay with the D-R. All scripture must be translated through the lens of the Apostolic Tradition. Without it, one need fast forward only a few years to see how Christian belief veered off the path.

[/quote]

Hey, man. So... this isn't really a prayer request...

[quote="bolinstephen, post:4, topic:317913"]
Hey, man. So... this isn't really a prayer request...

[/quote]

:o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.