Type of communion

When the Eucharist changes to Christ’s body and blood , does it mean the body and blood as he was as a human ? or is it more a spiritual communion like how Christ is after the resurrection ?

So when we partake ,do we become more like Christ after the resurrection or as he was whilst on earth
Thanks

I don’t know what you mean by this. Christ had a physical body after the resurrection. St. Thomas put his hand into the wounds of Christ. He clearly had a body.

26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
John 20:26

To answer your question, we receive the body of Christ in it’s current state. We receive the same body of the Lord that is sitting at the right hand of the Father in Heaven.

Edit: Grammar and added verse

It is Christ’s resurrected body.

I don’t know how to quote posts above but I thought Christ had a more spiritual body compared to when he lived on earth , seeing that he could disappear through doors or walk through closed doors
Which one of us in our earthly body can disappear through walls or doors like Jesus did in acts

A. “corporeally present, although not in the manner in which bodies are in a place.” - Pope Paul VI
http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_03091965_mysterium.html

CHRIST PRESENT IN THE EUCHARIST THROUGH TRANSUBSTANTIATION

46. To avoid any misunderstanding of this type of presence, which goes beyond the laws of nature and constitutes the greatest miracle of its kind, (50) we have to listen with docility to the voice of the teaching and praying Church. Her voice, which constantly echoes the voice of Christ, assures us that the way in which Christ becomes present in this Sacrament is through the conversion of the whole substance of the bread into His body and of the whole substance of the wine into His blood, a unique and truly wonderful conversion that the Catholic Church fittingly and properly calls transubstantiation. (51) As a result of transubstantiation, the species of bread and wine undoubtedly take on a new signification and a new finality, for they are no longer ordinary bread and wine but instead a sign of something sacred and a sign of spiritual food; but they take on this new signification, this new finality, precisely because they contain a new “reality” which we can rightly call ontological. For what now lies beneath the aforementioned species is not what was there before, but something completely different; and not just in the estimation of Church belief but in reality, since once the substance or nature of the bread and wine has been changed into the body and blood of Christ, nothing remains of the bread and the wine except for the species — beneath which Christ is present whole and entire in His physical “reality,” corporeally present, although not in the manner in which bodies are in a place.

Receiving the Eucharist is not “spiritual communion”. “Spiritual communion” refers to a way of being one with Jesus Christ without actually physically consuming Jesus’ body and blood.

Jesus did not somehow have a different body after the Resurrection. Jesus was in his original physical human body. If Jesus had become some pure spirit creature, his original body would have been left laying in the tomb, which isn’t what happened. Jesus also ate and drank after the Resurrection and basically behaved like a human, only with some special qualities and abilities like bilocation. The fact that his body now had additional qualities and abilities doesn’t make it any less a human, fleshly body.

Because it’s the same physical human body both before and after the Resurrection, your question is a moot point.

Do you mean a glorified body?

Yes. Both/And.

Jesus suffered and sacrificed in his human form on the cross. He emptied himself of human blood - poured out for our salvation. The Eucharist is the un-bloody re-presentation of the eternal sacrifice. Upon the death of his human nature and through the resurrection, Jesus is no longer bound by time & space as the Son of the Father.

May I ask a question as a non catholic- why doesn’t the host look like meat?
Been wondering this for a while.

The Catholic Church teaches and believes in transubstantiation – That is: A change of the substance, the identity, the thingness of the thing – Not in transformation, ie a change in the form, shape, appearance, et cetera of the thing.

Becaues first of all, Jesus chose bread and wine when he instituted the Sacrament. He didn’t choose a piece of meat, even though he had meat available at the meal.

Second, the physical form of the Host doesn’t change when the transubstantiation occurs. It is Jesus’ body. “Truly hidden behind these appearances” of bread and wine.*
It’s rather a good test of faith, I think, because to the outward senses, nothing looks to have happened.
Which St. Thomas Aquinas noted in his Adoro te devote prayer.

*I edited out the part of my post that Titivillus quoted below because as they pointed out, there is a legitiate concern that the way I wrote it sounds like the Lutheran doctrine of “Consubstantiation” which is that the bread continues to co-exist alongside Jesus’ body. This is a theological doctrine beyond what we’re talking about which is 'why doesn’t it look/ taste/ feel like meat" but in order to avoid confusion I changed it. Titivillus has expressed the correct theological view below.

No.

It still appears as if (looks like, smells like, feels like, sounds like) bread. But it is not.

It is all Jesus’s body. The bread is gone.

My point is that it doesn’t turn into “meat”. It doesn’t change into the “flesh” of a body.

The “appearance” of bread remains. It doesn’t take on the “appearance” of meat, if you want to be super technical here.

Thanks for the explanations, @Tis_bearself and @Titivillus

Christ’s glorified body is different than the body He had before the Resurrection. It is as you say a spiritual body as St. Paul describes it.

1 Corinthians 15:42-44 (NRSVACE)
42 So it is with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body.

One has to be careful, IMHO, with a statement like this. This statement is true in the same sense as this one:

Titivillus’s tattooed body is different than the body he had before he visited the tattoo parlor.

Titivillus’s body is different: It is now tattooed.
Titivillus’s body is not different: It is identical to the body he had before visiting the tattoo parlor.

NB

This is a fictitious example. Titivillus does not have any tattoos.

closed #17

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.