U.S. Air Force makes way for witchcraft

On a hill overlooking the Cadet Chapel and Visitor Center of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Tech. Sgt. Robert Longcrier is burning white sage, consecrating a circle of stones that will soon be used by cadets as a place to worship Mother Earth and the Horned God.

According to an official release from the Colorado Springs, Colo., university and air base wing, the chapel is adding this new worship area for followers of Earth-centered religions, including Paganism, Druidism and the form of witchcraft known as Wicca. The official dedication ceremony is tentatively scheduled for March 10.

Longcrier, who became Pagan shortly after arriving at the Academy in 2006, celebrates that the new worship circle represents an increasing level of acceptance of pagan religion:

Read more here: wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=123829

as one looks at this unusual occurance in u.s. history this will become a highly serious and grave mistake on the part of the us military to have made. as a Christian nation this is letting the great adversary to all humanity in. as part of the chink in the armour of God it will cause great and immense destruction to the ability of the us army to carry out careful infilltration into their enemy’s camp. believe me confusion and serious trouble has occured
within the ranks of the u.s. military in the form of unusual attacks bringing great harm and sorrow of bodily harm and injury. and this is onlly the beginning of great upheaveal
sincerely
kerry heseltine

I personally can’t see an issue. Yeah, it’s sad that some people do not follow Torah, but you must respect their freewill to choose as they wish.

This in no way will effect the military’s ability to carry out it’s mission (which by the way is secular). Additionally, the military’s purpose and methodology is not what I would call very Christian to begin with. People need to stop thinking that the US military is somehow an additional arm or stronghold of the Christian faith. It’s not.

maybe a new combat command ... casting spells on the enemy.

How about a nun brigade. Nothing strikes more fear into the hearts of men then a nun with a disapproving look on her face. Just think what a couple thousand armed with rulers would do. :D

The US is not a Christian nation. Religion is seperate from state.

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:5, topic:185463"]
maybe a new combat command ... casting spells on the enemy.

[/quote]

Actually my first thought when coming upon this article was a broom-riding air squad. :D

[quote="Neildown, post:8, topic:185463"]
Actually my first thought when coming upon this article was a broom-riding air squad. :D

[/quote]

For some reason the image of Wing Commander Nancy Pelosi comes to mind.

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:7, topic:185463"]

[/quote]

The United States is definately a Christian nation. However, we have no established church.

The distinction is important.

[quote="Armyvet007, post:4, topic:185463"]
This in no way will effect the military's ability to carry out it's mission (which by the way is secular).

[/quote]

If you mean that it will in no way make the military more effective, I agree completely.

Warrenton- Actually, a soldier whose spiritual/religous needs are being met is more effective then one whose needs are not being met. Additionally, a soldier who sees the military doing its best (within reason as dictated by mission and resources) to fullfill those needs will be more content/effective then one whose needs are being ignored/perceived as being ignored by the military (once again within reason as dictated by mission and resources).

Paganism cannot fulfill anyone's spiritual needs.

If, as you say, it merely creates the impression that the military "cares" about the soldier, then the same benefit would be conferred by increasing the soldier's pay, granting furlough, improving the barracks or, perhaps, quickly winning the war in which the soldier fights. All of which, in contrast to fostering ignorance and superstition, actually advance the soldier's real welfare.

Mixing pagans with Christians does not lead to a better army.

It leads to the Theban legion.

[quote="Warrenton, post:13, topic:185463"]
Paganism cannot fulfill anyone's spiritual needs.

[/quote]

Who are you to say that? Because it clearly does for many people.

If, as you say, it merely creates the impression that the military "cares" about the soldier, then the same benefit would be conferred by increasing the soldier's pay, granting furlough, improving the barracks or, perhaps, quickly winning the war in which the soldier fights. All of which, in contrast to fostering ignorance and superstition, actually advance the soldier's real welfare.

Mixing pagans with Christians does not lead to a better army.

It leads to the Theban legion.

I thought mixing people together from different faiths and backgrounds was a good thing as it breeds understanding, respect and tolerance. I suppose those things don't matter in an army.

If all you got out of my post was that I sayed it "creates an impression that the military "cares"," then you need to go back and reread it. As a Catholic soldier I had to go to a Protestant chaplain when I was dealing with my depression-spiritual break down-PTSD. He could not offer me Catholic theology (he did his best, but lacked the training), Catholic advise, nor the Sacraments. Thankfully my FOB got a Catholic chaplain and I was able to receive the above. While I was not able to fully recover, I was in a much better state (and more effective as a soldier) after the Catholic chaplain showed up and my spiritual/religous needs were met then I was prior to him arriving. Having known deeply spiritual/religous soldiers who were not Catholic, I would assume their needs being addressed would have a similar effect on them.

As for mixing pagans and Christians not leading to a better military, first prove that an all Christian military (or even an all Catholic military) is somehow superior/better off then one with a mixed faith [this would also require you to take into account variations in military technology, tactics, practices, numbers, etc]. Being Christian does not "magically" make you a better soldier, does not "magically" make a better military.

As for really advancing a soldier's warfighting, history shows that the most determined soldiers who fight on even after all is lost against impossible odds in impossible conditions are those who are spiritually fullfilled.

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:14, topic:185463"]
Who are you to say that?

[/quote]

Let's say I cribbed the notion from St. Paul.

I thought mixing people together from different faiths and backgrounds was a good thing as it breeds understanding, respect and tolerance.

This is an idea that is unproven by world experience.

[quote="LemonAndLime, post:7, topic:185463"]

[/quote]

Excuse me , but the United States IS a Christian nation, BUT one with a Secular Government .

Excuse me , but the United States IS a Christian nation, BUT one with a Secular Government .

I'd love to see your proof for that statement.

ohn

[quote="oldcelt, post:19, topic:185463"]
I'd love to see your proof for that statement.

ohn

[/quote]

Which do you object to , the Christian nation or secular government part ? The U.S. is majority Christian. It's not that controversial . Heck , there are 68.5 million Roman Catholics alone in the U.S. , which is 22% of 310 million . My source for the 68.5 million is the latest statistical yearbook of the Catholic Church . Then include ALL Protestant denominations plus the Orthodox Catholics . Why do you doubt ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.