U.S. bishops’ relief agency gives $5.3 million to major contraception-providing charity

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/07/posturing-while-giving-5-million-to.html

Posturing while giving $5 million to contraception-providing and abortionist-befriending “Charity”

How about a “Fortnight for Apologizing to the Faithful” now?

From LifeSiteNews:

U.S. bishops’ relief agency gives $5.3 million to major contraception-providing charity

July 17, 2012 - In the epic battle between the American Catholic bishops and the Obama Administration over being forced to pay for contraceptive coverage, the efforts of the bishops have been undermined time and again by individual Catholics and Catholic entities that support contraception. One major example of this is within the Bishops’ own jurisdiction.

Catholic Relief Services (CRS), “the official overseas relief and development agency of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops” has recently given millions to an organization that doles out contraceptives, including abortifacient ‘emergency contraception.’

The most recent CRS annual returns (2010) indicate that the largest CRS grant — $5.3 million — went to CARE, an international “relief and development organization,” that actively promotes and provides contraceptives for women in developing countries, and supports pro-abortion groups and legislation.

According to the 2010 990s, CRS gave $5,380,466 to CARE, which is noted on page 86 of the filing.

The HLI [Human Life International] president noted that that CARE has made “‘reproductive health’—which typically includes contraception as well as abortion—a cornerstone of their ‘development’ strategies.” Because the revenues that CARE receives are fungible, he said, any funds given them would automatically support their whole program—including abortion lobbying and contraception.

Regardless of one’s opinion of the present U.S. Administration, do not things like these make the USCCB campaign at least look like mere political posturing, and undermine the positive view many non-Catholics have of it?

[Image from CARE’s family planning and “Sexual and Reproductive Health” leaflet. Tip: reader]

I have trusted the CRS in the past and donated for hurricane/tsunami relief. I don’t donate to the United Way ever since they were funding Planned Parenthood decades ago (I know they don’t anymore, but…) - I donate to one of their agencies directly, Catholic Charities.
It is getting so hard to know who/what to trust anymore…I hope we hear something from CRS about this!

I have donated to CRS in the past as well but will not do so again until I am satisfied that this situation has been resolved. Its high time that they, and the USCCB got their house in order on this sort of thing.

Peace,

Ditto to that. It’s hard for the church to have a leg to stand on in these things when they say one thing and do another.

That does seem odd as first glance. But doesn’t the vast majority of Catholics ignore the Vatican when it comes to personal decisions about contraception?

Huh wha …??

Not good. Not even if its to prescribe placebos*** INSTEAD!

I need me some relief. Wonder if I have something sinful to sell.

Tell me this is a mistake. Or an oversight. Did this charity just START with the contraceptives recently? And we just now found out?

The best case scenario I can think of here is if the contraceptives are like the “time machine” in Napoleon Dynamite. Even then …:mad:

OK got the background. This should stop now.

No more outsourcing foreign charity money. Do it ourselves, see the results, or keep the money at home.

How many good Catholics donated to this tragedy?

Better than this - with a similar result - would be to sell the poor women indelible black toothpaste! Less directly sinful though* ALMOST* as stupid.

this is really sad. I have long been a supporter of CRS and will no longer be able to continue. Next time I receive a plea I will begin writing back to them using their plea request return envelope expressing my outrage over their executive decisions. I will donate only through my church and to organizations that truly offer real help to people at a local level. Local food banks and prison ministry and shelters for the poor and abused. The Church is under attack from without and within. Pray and do penance, fast and receive the sacraments as often as possible.

The ones who never set foot inside of a Church, probably. As for the rest, the numbers are not nearly as strong. Regardless, the Church does not teach the faith on the basis of its popularity. It teaches it on the basis of what is true.

Faithful Catholics who donate money to the Catholic Relief Services because they wish do good in the world and prefer to give to an organization that holds their same faith and morals have the right to expect that organization to act in a manner consistent with the name ‘Catholic’. In addition, they have the right to expect that their Bishops are running a tight enough shop so that this kind of junk doesn’t happen even once, let alone repeatedly.

Unfortunately, small local charities are not well positioned to respond to large disasters unless they are in the area where that disaster took place.

Peace,

Do we not read the news? Why the surprise? In '08 it was reported that CRS donated to Emily’s List and a couple of years ago they proudly announced a “partnership” with the Gates and Buffet Foundations.

We haven’t given to them in years.

Let us pray that Catholics will partake in targeted charitable giving and “stepping out in faith” to aid those in need personally. I don’t think CARE has the subsidiarity desired in a charity. Catholics have grass-roots organizations internationally, let’s use 'em. Lord, make us wise and generous stewards.

I wonder if donations to CARE can be directed toward specific programs, such as providing food and clothing?

If so, it could be that the $5.3 million donated to CARE, goes for food and clothing and nothing goes to contraception programs they may run.

I don’t know, I’m asking the question.

Jim

This quote, (my bolding and italics added) from the original post,indicates that such attempted targeting will merely free up funds which can then be dedicated to the activities you oppose. It might be best to donate elsewhere, to ensure that this does not happen.

Exactly. It also brings up why the arguments that ‘tax money given to groups like planned parenthood don’t really pay for abortions’, is so ridiculous and hollow. Money that is provided to be spent in one area frees up money to be spent in another. In fact, it might be one of the worst political arguments of all time.

[quote="JimR-OCDS, post:12, topic:291985"]
I wonder if donations to CARE can be directed toward specific programs, such as providing food and clothing?

If so, it could be that the $5.3 million donated to CARE, goes for food and clothing and nothing goes to contraception programs they may run.

I don't know, I'm asking the question.

Jim

[/quote]

I would suspect this is the case. CARE would have offices in places which other agencies do not.

The OP heqdline is misleading since CARE is not first associated with contrceptive services, but relief services.

I would suspect this is the case. CARE would have offices in places which other agencies do not.

The OP headline is misleading since CARE is not first associated with contrceptive services, but relief services.

I pulled the quote below from
care.org/about/index.asp

“CARE tackles underlying causes of poverty so that people can become self-sufficient. Recognizing that women and children suffer disproportionately from poverty, CARE places special emphasis on working with women to create permanent social change. Women are at the heart of CARE’s community-based efforts to improve basic education, increase access to quality health care and expand economic opportunity for all.”

This quote from the CARE website discussing its activities and purpose lists maternal health as a top priority. If you look at its maternal health page

care.org/campaigns/mothersmatter/index.asp

you will see that family planning is presented as a key component of maternal health.
It is not possible, with fungibility, to circumvent these programs with your donation, regardless of how you try to specify the use of your money.
May god bless us all!
jeannetherese

Well I went to the CARE website and they do help provide family planing services in the poor nations where they also bring food, clothing and medicines.

Jim

Trojan Horse all the same. Justification doesn’t work here. Wake up and realize that the evil of contraception is what has ruined Europe and why they are all failing nations. They have contracepted themselves out of existence. Very few percentage wise are young able bodied workers and the population is aging with no infrastructure to support them. The modernist elite push contraception as they want to get rid of people who are messing up the environment, and interfering with their own egocentirc way of life. Planned parenthood is a baby killing machine that is now being exported around the globe to wipe out all the “undesireables”. Here, poor folks, take this free food, while we kill off your next and future generations. God fearing people need to wake up and see what the world is really coming to. Pray, do penance, receive the sacraments. We must be careful not to fall into the trap ourselves, allowing evil to grow and be perpetuated around the globe. We will all stand before God someday and have to make an accounting for our actions and inactions.

Human Life International president Fr. Shenan Boquet says the money give not CARE is fungible. There are lots organisations that do good work with one hand and support immoral causes on the other, they do not deserve support because they do some good things

It is not as if CARE and Catholic Relief Services are the 2 charities that exist, there are many charities where there is no chance of money egoism to promote contraception

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.