U.S. Bishops Say They're Willing to "Go To Jail" Over the HHS Mandate

Several U.S. bishops have said that they cannot compromise when it comes to religious freedom and our values and that they are willing to go to jail over this. The HHS mandate requires the people of the U.S. to pay for contraception, abortion-producing drugs, and sterilizations.
see www.lifesitenews.com/news/exclusive-bishops-willing-to-go-to-jail-over-hhs-mandate

I smell civil disobedience and an underground Church brewing…

Good for them! Hopefully, we all are willing to go to jail over the HHS Mandate.

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 5:10-12

10 Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:

12 Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you.[/BIBLEDRB]

It seems it would be the best course of action. It sends a message to both the government, and to “flock” that they are staunch in their beliefs, and will not sit quietly by, while our religious freedom is infringed upon.

“I expect to die in my sleep, my successor to die in jail, and his successor to die a martyr.”

I forgot who said this…

Francis George said that. From what I can tell from a quick search

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_George

YES! Good for them!

imagine if all American Catholics had this fire

I would also be willing to go to jail rather than obey this immoral and unjust mandate. I don’t believe that is going to happen to me though since I do not own a business.

If only! But we can work towards this goal.

Hope lay Catholics are willing to stand up for the faith has much as these Bishops

Okay, I respect and support their position 100% but in doing so, they’re mistrusting the entire judicial system as well as the executive and legislative branches in the matter. This country still runs on the principles of checks and balances and if there is suppression of any kind, it won’t be for too much longer IMO.

If that were the case, Obama never would’ve won either election and we wouldn’t be in this predicament. :mad:

If ever there was a time to mistrust the executive branch, it’s right now – and the legislative not too far behind. From what I read, the current White House feels little respect for the concept of “checks and balances.”

Maybe pictures of some bishops taking the “perp walk” would shake U.S. Catholicism out of its stupor. As I understand it, the president can unilaterally declare anyone a “domestic terrorist” and hold them indefinitely without trial or open hearing. Several years ago a draft Homeland Security document identified pro-life advocates as potential terrorists. Even without the birth control mandate, there are lots of ways such things could happen. A cardinal who trades his cardinal’s red for a Guantanamo orange jump suit could become the leader we need.

Well, what possible circumstance would arise where anyone would “go to jail?” It’s a civil law not a criminal one. If there are fines and they refuse to pay the courts will just seize bank accounts and the government will take the money, anyway. It’s very dramatic and all that but what are they talking about? Is there some criminal charge that could be brought I am unfamiliar with?

It’s what we as citizens believe, not the WH, that matters in the end. Either the judicial system does its job to keep the other two branches in check (and vice versa) or everything falls apart.

At least 54% have already demonstrated they are not, re. elections 2008 and 2012.

NOT! It started to go out even with Bush. It is becoming so blatant that even Senators have spoken of it. Check out Grassley of Iowa, just for one.

How about the elections of 2006 and 2010 which seemed to counter the blatant abuses of power, including that of “Too Big to Fail” corporatism?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.