U.S braces itself for coldest month of the century with yet another Arctic blast as fears grow for Super Bowl Sunday

[LEFT]America is set for the coldest month of the century as weather forecasters predict yet another freezing blast of Arctic air - putting Super Bowl Sunday in jeopardy.
Teams have been warned to stay on high alert for changes to the scheduling of the first Super Bowl to be played in an open-air stadium.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Temperatures have already hit record lows, at times making parts of the U.S. colder than the North Pole, and are expected to plunge in the coming days.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545153/U-S-braces-coldest-month-century.html#ixzz2rTU9IRp4 [/LEFT]

Here we go again. It’s snowing on the Island. Also, the deep freeze has not left yet. Enough already. I’m ready for at least temps in the 30s. O well, spring is only 2 months away.

Forecast here is to get up to around 87 degrees! :tanning:

Sorry it’s so cold where you guys are.

It’s not bad in Florida at least! Although January was a below average month for us too, I think. In SW Florida (I’m near Immokalee) the normal averages are around 50 and 76 for this month, and month average has been probably around 45 and 70. Honestly, I prefer colder weather, but not as cold as you guys are getting…that is crazy.

I don’t miss the cold!

I got my fan going, and ladies are using their hand fans at mass of late.

California has been unseasonably warm; today it was fifteen degrees above the monthly average. Also there has been almost no precipitation.

A couple days ago a bear wandered onto a ski slope
:eek:

So you say! :wink: Here in the Pensacola area, we got sleet and snow flurries last night, with pictures of the Weather Radar to prove it! (The snow flurries were too small to capture on camera). I’m telling you guys, whoever said “global warming is upon us” was obviously saying so just to make a fool of himself. :rolleyes:

The warming in the Arctic Circle is having severe effects on the jet stream which is leading to profoundly disturbing effects such as last summer’s heatwave and this winter’s Arctic Blast. It seems Global Weirding is the most appropriate term.

well it is stupid to play football in an open stadium in the northern part of the US in February. Everyone knows it is WINTER here during that time. So we had a few years of mild winters and now things are back to where I remember them or has everyone forgotten the blizzard of 78? much worse than what we are getting here in Ohio. We had one day of level 3 snow emergency. That is nothing compared to the blizzards I remember hitting us as a kid.

Actually saw snow once, while Driving around Tasmania… In the middle of the night we pulled over and held it in our hands… It was freezing cold weather ,but a thrill to see it and hold it… Stayed at a resort at Cradle Mountain and walked around in the falling snow,
A wonderful experience, the next morning the rental car was covered by snow,could just see the top of a red car… Awesome…

Actually this is being caused by warm water in the Gulf of Alaska which is causing a warm front that is forcing the Artic air to push into the US. This has happened a number of times before, for example in 1918.

Oh sure. You are enjoying yourself now, and I am not sure what part of Colima you are in, but I looked up the climate at Manzanillo. We’ll have our satisfaction during your rainy season, when it rains…erm, once per week or so. But sometimes the rain gets all the way up to moderate in intensity!

And the hot season…whew! The average daytime high is 87 degrees, um… which about you have today. :blush:

Okay, but the temperature on rare occasions get to be above 91 degrees, so there! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, we are currently in the negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation. It happens from time to time, however what we are experiencing now is expected to become more frequent due to the melting of ice in the Arctic.
frontierscientists.com/2013/06/under-pressure-arctic-extreme-weather/

The weather in an area, at any point in time, is only temporary and can be highly variable. Climate reflects the average weather in that area, over the long term. Climate does seem to be changing, and it is good to understand how that will affect weather.

As Gilliam noted, the current weather pattern has happened before and will happen again. Climate change suggests that this sort of weather will become more common than in the past.

The last part of my post wasn’t serious, but said with a bit of sarcasm. Thus the :rolleyes:.

I apologize, Quietsinger. I guess I ran afoul of Poe’s Law.

I misunderstood the intent, and I am sorry for that. However your position is clear to me now, and will try to remember it in future discussions,

No need to apologize! :slight_smile: I can see how my post may have been taken a different way than intended.

Even in my short (56 years) life, I can recall many of these here in Pennsylvania. This one is not anywhere near the coldest to this point. But, the newshounds have to have something to write about.

When it is -20 F for weeks on end, you’ll have my attention. Yesterday was quite pleasant here yesterday for late January…15 F. Then the winds and snow picked up and it was well below my line for pleasant.

I don’t know, and they don’t either. Last time the Artic warmed up was the Middle Ages; and it hasn’t gotten that warm yet.

The weather in an area, at any point in time, is only temporary and can be highly variable. Climate reflects the average weather in that area, over the long term. Climate does seem to be changing, and it is good to understand how that will affect weather.

As Gilliam noted, the current weather pattern has happened before and will happen again. Climate change suggests that this sort of weather will become more common than in the past.

I don’t know, and as far as I know, no one else knows either. Lately we have started to see scientific papers saying that warming will end up causing less severe weather.

All we know is that weather changes.

They should move the Super Bowl to somewhere more temperate - like Seattle. :thumbsup: “Go Hawks”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.