U.S. Catholics urged to weigh issues carefully as they enter voting booth

The Boston Pilot:
U.S. Catholics urged to weigh issues carefully as they enter voting booth

Remarkable DNC product, and much to be expected. Typical of the Clinton organizations’ efforts to mislead Catholics into thinking it’s ok to vote for abortion. Thanks to the Podesta emails, we now know they put together things like this for the media to mislead prolife people and Catholics in particular.

The reality is we cannot support a promoter of an intrinsic evil like abortion. Hillary Clinton is exactly that.

And our duty is to vote, and when one candidate promotes the intrinsic evil of abortion, which all the bishops and Popes say we cannot support, voting in a way that actually opposes evil effectively is our duty.

The Boston Pilot is the official News Paper of the Boston Archdiocese.

Ouch… :wink:

Wow :frowning: Not one quote given on the evils of abortion, euthanasia, or gay marriage. One Bishop even goes so far as to say that we should not decide our vote on these “given issues”. If we don’t oppose evil, we are not any different than the pharisees that Jesus called out “You hypocrites, you know how to discern the face of the heaven and of the earth: but how is it that you do not discern this time?” Hilary stood in front of our country and admitted she would nominate Supreme Court Justices that are pro-choice and pro gay marriage (along with her refusal to admit that partial birth abortion is an atrocity). What are we Catholics doing supporting her!!?? I am so ashamed of the cowardice of my fellow Catholics and the lack of direction given by our clergy.

I saw a recent poll that said 51% of American Catholics support Hilary Clinton, 40% Donald Trump. Do any of these 51% realize they are committing a mortal sin if they vote for her? Probably not, since the American Bishops only state “…Nor do they allow leaders in the church to endorse or denounce a candidate because of his or her position on a given issue.”

My soul aches for our Church :bighanky:

Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for us!!

catholic.com/voteyourfaith

I was just gonna post this. It’s great! Our parish distributed this last week. Very well written by catholic answers. Here is the direct PDF link to the voters guide.

catholic.com/sites/default/files/voters_guide_insert.pdf

Forum rules:

Negative and rude comments toward CAF members, clergy (deacons, priests and bishops) or toward religious and religious orders are banned.

Everyone, online and offline, deserves to be spoken to and about respectfully. However, some posters seem to feel that clergy and religious are fair game.

If you have an issue with them, take it up in private, not on this forum or any of our forums.

You may cite something from another source, if you are not using it to further an agenda. Agenda posting is not allowed.

If we deem that you are disrespectful to our clergy and religious, you will receive an infraction or even a ban.

See:
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=13082580&postcount=12

To achieve this, it is necessary to ban certain topics, content, and posting techniques. If you are unsure whether or not something falls within the scope of this list, inquire of a moderator privately, before posting

…]

1. Identifying individual parishes, clergy, or hierarchs as “unfaithful to the Magisterium”, guilty of “liturgical abuse”, or otherwise engaged in unacceptable or unpopular practices, based on personal “knowledge” or opinion

See:
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=13082575&postcount=9

Candidate Trump has spoken very little on abortion. Not even at the convention. I don’t think he’s said anything at all on Euthanasia or Stem Cell research or cloning.

Then there is gay marriage. He’s been quiet on that. He was for it as recent as when Elton John was married. He spoke very positively of it then, even posting about it on his blog.

So, do we overlook 4 non negotiables?

Is it a sin to ask myself, “Why are the American Church leaders appearing wishy-washy?”

There’s a cultural tidal wave going on…but not much talk about sin, evil, standing up for what is right and just in the eyes of God.

Obviously, no one’s sinless (and I have a mountain of sins and flaws), but seriously…? Give us something to hope for and be courageous about.

I hate to say it, but my first thought was that I’d hate to be one of those bishops and have to stand before the throne of God for judgement . . . .

While the act may be grave matter, not realizing it pretty much disqualifies it as a mortal sin. :o

We just cannot vote for baby murderers. I know I talk about not voting for the crazy man either, but people, we don’t know for sure what he will do, we DO know that one Candidate did say at their convention that they supported a woman’s right to choose.

right to choose = right to murder someone really innocent. Something that really delights the Lord and his angels. There is no “well…” or “yes but…” To be Catholic is to not vote for abortion.

I’d rather get an infraction or ban and share the truth than stay silent like most Americans. Sorry, but truth is truth, and voting for Hilary is wrong. Just to clarify, I was bemoaning the fact the clergy are not leading like they should. That does not mean I don’t respect their position or do not pray for them, because I do both. I was also quoting them, so I was stating facts, not being rude.

True, which puts the grave matter on the souls of their pastors who stay silent.

Certainly not. With that said, I am under the realization that either Clinton or Trump will be the next US President. With this in mind, I discern if one candidate will promote more evil than the other. My conclusion is that Clinton will expand more evil at a much quicker pace than Trump.

I’m not sure how anyone could read “Faithful Citizenship” published by the USCCB and not come to the conclusion that Hillary is “off the table”.

From the document:

Our 1998 statement, Living the Gospel of Life, declares, “Abortion and euthanasia have become preeminent threats to human life and dignity because they directly attack life itself, the most fundamental good and the condition for all others” (no. 5). Abortion, the deliberate killing of a human being before birth, is never morally acceptable and must always be opposed.

usccb.org/issues-and-action/faithful-citizenship/upload/forming-consciences-for-faithful-citizenship.pdf

Our 1998 statement, Living the Gospel of Life, declares, “Abortion and euthanasia have become preeminent threats to human life and dignity because they directly attack life itself, the most fundamental good and the condition for all others” (no. 5). Abortion, the deliberate killing of a human being before birth, is never morally acceptable and must always be opposed.

Right, and you are good at cherry-picking quotes. The document also states, among many other things:

37. In making these decisions, it is essential for Catholics to be guided by a well-formed conscience that recognizes that all issues do not carry the same moral weight and that the moral obligation to oppose policies promoting intrinsically evil acts has a special claim on our consciences and our actions. These decisions should take into account a candidate’s commitments, character, integrity, and ability to influence a given issue. In the end, this is a decision to be made by each Catholic guided by a conscience formed by Catholic moral teaching.

Again, as faithful Catholics we should read the document in its entirety and carefully, and then make a decision based on a well-infomed conscience.

It is not a mortal sin to vote for Clinton. The “five nonnegotiables” are not Catholic teaching. It is a mortal sin to vote for someone because they support an intrinsic evil. And we should have proportionate reasons to vote for any candidate who supports intrinsic evil. But merely voting for a pro-abortion candidate per se is not grave matter. Given the two major party candidates, weighing the issues carefully and praying is probably the best advice that can be offered.

Corruption. Weapons deal to countries that support radical Islam. Promotion of gay marriage and gender theory. Promotion of abortion. Denial of religious liberties and silencing of religion in the public sphere. Contempt for national security by pretending one is above the law.

What presidential quality does Hilary have exactly?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.