U.S. concluded in 2010 that Bergdahl walked away

A Pentagon investigation concluded in 2010 that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl walked away from his unit, and after an initial flurry of searching the military decided not to exert extraordinary efforts to rescue him, according to a former senior defense official who was involved in the matter.

news.yahoo.com/us-concluded-2010-bergdahl-walked-away-185047684–politics.html

That is the opening paragraph. However, here is the part that I find very concerning:

The five detainees left Guantanamo aboard a U.S. military aircraft flying to Qatar, which served as go-between in the negotiations. They are to be banned from leaving Qatar for at least a year. Among the five: a Taliban deputy intelligence minister, a former Taliban interior minister with ties to the late al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and a figure linked by human rights monitors to mass killings of Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan in 2000 and 2001.

That seems to be really concerning. These people are clearly terrorists. Why on earth would we release such high profile terrorists? I mean, sure, I am glad we have Bergdahl back and everything but we should not have released high profile terrorists. If they were going to do a prisoner exchange then why not release 10 low profile prisoners instead of 5 high profile terrorists?

I’m glad he’s no longer in captivity, but it is interesting that the media isn’t reporting a lot on his leaving his unit.

I tend to agree with the Republicans in Congress on this one. I’m still glad Bergdahl was released, but at what cost? This appears to set a dangerous precedent, I believe, violating the non-exchange rule established by both Republicans and Democrats. And, as Republicans have pointed out, Obama is breaking the law without having first consulted at least the appropriate committee leaders in Congress before executing the prisoner exchange. A bad situation all around except for Bergdahl and his family, of course.

I question, however, whether the Republican Congress would have been so adamant about the danger involved if the exchange had occurred under a Republican President. Sadly, I doubt it. Nonetheless, I think they have a good argument.

We’ve all seen Saving Private Ryan, they go and look for the missing soldier, it is being reported that 6 soldiers lost their lives looking for Bergdahl. Hard to put one’s reaction into words about that.

Here is a link that shows what the prisoners did to be locked up, that are now free.

thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/31/us-pays-high-price-for-last-pow-in-afghanistan.html

Israeli’s exchange prisoners with the Palistinians, and some of those prisoners killed Jewish citizens.

We’re leaving Afghanistan, and it would be wrong to leave this US Soldier Behind.

BTW, the Taliban prisoners were released to the government in Qatar. They’ll probably think that GITMO was a resort if they’re held in Qatar prisons.

Jim

Jim, I was curious so I did a search on Qatar prison conditions.

dohanews.co/prison-chief-gives-rare-insight-into-life-inside/

I am curious as to your source as to imply it is bad?

I was guessing.

Thanks for the article which says otherwise.

But then, I’m skeptical when a government in the ME says how humane their prisons are. :wink:

Jim

I don’t think anyone’s saying that Bergdahl should have been left behind. I like the way Meltzerboy put it: “at what cost”? I don’t see why this was the deal that had to have been struck.

And what were the circumstances of Bergdahl’s departure? I know people will blame the Republicans for having partisan bias, as always, but there are tough questions to be asked here and the majority of the media doesn’t seem to want to bring them up.

That assumes he was a prisoner of the Taliban.

I’m not saying he went over to them voluntarily, because I don’t know. But this whole story has a weird ring to it. I guess we’ll learn more eventually.

If, as it now appears, Bergdahl is a Taliban fellow traveler who either deserted or defected, this release of the five most valued terrorists is an utterly shameful act of desecration against those six men who lost their lives trying to rescue him. Obama has outdone his despotic self on this one. What a pall this man has cast over America. And he isn’t done yet. Will anyone have the courage to stop him? :confused: Rob

:thumbsup:

Will anyone have the courage to get to the bottom of this?

By the Way,
“Tahmooressi”, the name of the marine imprisoned in Mexico is not an ethically Italian or Italian/American name. :stuck_out_tongue:

rex

Apparently his dad, who is Muslim, is working hard to get all the freedom fighters out of GITMO. Real classy. I am sure his twitter account was hacked, like Anthony Weiner’s was.
washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/06/02/the-curious-case-of-bob-bergdahls-apparent-tweet-to-the-taliban/

Since Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was captured in the mountains of Afghanistan in 2009, his father had become an expert on Guantanamo Bay’s detainees. It was out of necessity, because the Taliban demanded that the United States free prisoners from Guantanamo in exchange for Bergdahl.

“No family in the United States understands the detainee issue like ours,” Robert Bergdahl said in a 2011 plea to his son’s captors.

So it wasn’t entirely unusual when Bergdahl apparently published a tweet last week about Guantanamo’s detainees. Except this tweet was directed at a Taliban spokesman. And it came just four days before it was announced that his son was finally being released.

“I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners,” the tweet said, according to various screen grabs. The tweet was subsequently deleted. “God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen.”*

This seems another black mark for Obama.
I am glad this soldier was released but I don’t agree with the release of 5 dangerous terrorists. There are questions surrounding how the soldier was captured. His father seems to definitely sympathize with the afghan people. Another poster said the father is a muslim. I don’t know if that is true or not.
They sent Susan Rice out again to the sunday talk shows making fools out of everyone after what happened with Benghazi.
Ms. Rice might as well have “stupid” stamped across her forehead.
Obama must pay her a lot to do those sunday shows.
We need to ask what message this is sending and how many peoples lives might be at risk for another terrorist release.

The released prisoners received a heros welcome.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646222/Taliban-leaders-given-heros-welcome-footage-claiming-prisoners-arriving-Qatar-Guantanamo-release-no-American-presence-sight.html

weeklystandard.com/blogs/jay-carney-2013-no-decisions-about-bergdahl-detainee-deal-without-consulting-congress_794088.html

Here’s what Jay Carney said in 2013:

we would not make any decisions about transfer of any detainees without consulting with Congress and without doing so in accordance with U.S. law.

Did we just miss this consultation with Congress? Or maybe this was just another innocent “mistake” or “accident” on the part of the Obama administration (there seem to be a lot of that going on these days…) :rolleyes:

I believe everything is cool. One never really knows what exactly went on. Why would Bergdahl walk away to get captured? There’s probably a lot more to these stories that we do not know. Therefore, it takes trust… and perhaps a good amount of gullibility.

LOVE! :heart:

I am a great believer in releasing terrorists in a prisoner exchange, but I would ensure that not one left their present host country alive. The traffic is terrible over there.

He walked away because he said he was disillusioned with the army and ashamed to be American. He was a deserter. He should be tried and serve time. Lives were lost trying to find him.

Why did they have to die looking for a deserter, and yet the current administration won’t lift a finger to bring that marine home from a Mexican jail?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.