U.S. Halts Solar Projects Over Environment Fears

U.S. Halts Solar Projects Over Environment Fears.

duelling environmentalists. It’s not easy being greeen.

[quote=the article]The environmental assessment was being “fast-tracked”. During the study, the BLM will not accept any new applications to lease public land for solar developments. But it insists it is “not holding industry up” and will continue to process 150 existing applications for roughly one million acres of federal land considered to have the best potential for solar development
[/quote]

The headline is misleading. Projects are not being halted. New projects are not being considered.

And how does this fact help the USA become self sufficient in energy? Only someone IMHO that wants to harm the USA and its citizens would look at this as a good thing.:mad:

It doesn’t. I am surprised by the decision and hope that the review will be accomplished quickly.

Only someone IMHO that wants to harm the USA and its citizens would look at this as a good thing.:mad:

No, I seriously doubt that they hate the US. But they might not be seeing the bigger picture.

Ah, but, you do not have to hate someone or a group of someones to want to harm them. Harm comes in many forms and to punish (ie, harm) might be the goal for imagined wrong doings.

So who are these persons who want to harm the US by placing a moratorium on new solar projects on BLM lands?

The two waring factions that run this country.:shrug: Both think they are correct and are willing tp prove it at any cost. Each side
seems more then willing to harm those that they serve and more so those that oppose them in the name of thier “god” politics.

No comments?

They really are worried about the impact of shade in the desert?

Large-scale projects often have unintended consquences. It does no harm to proceed carefully.

Deserts are exceptionally fragile ecosystems; if this technology is the way, then we may have to make some concessions. But we should do so with open eyes.

And if the desert ecosystem is altered, as it surely will be with more shade, then what?

And if the desert ecosystem is altered, as it surely will be with more shade, then what?

That’s the point; we don’t know. And it might be important. Often changes that seem inconsequential at the time can have far-reaching effects. It’s better to take a look and see what happens, before any large-scale adjustments to nature.

So then do we drill where we have previously and proceed with caution elsewhere? Or do we just keep on doing what we have been doing? Which IMHO is nothing :shrug: . We had a functional coal to oil plant that never went on line and after many years was dismantled (I think the components were shipped to China).:eek:

So if no one allows any form of a power source near their homes, near wildlife and in delicate environmental areas, what is the solution to the problem?
Go back to caveman existence?
Limit jobs to within walking distance of a persons home (that is how the miners lived in the past) and force people to live and work in a very limited geographical area?

I can understand proceeding with caution. But actually halting projects and not approving projects is just plain silly.

The single act that would have the greatest affect on REDUCING man made global warming would be if Algore would just SHUT UP.

So then do we drill where we have previously and proceed with caution elsewhere?

You don’t have to drill to set up solar collectors.

I can understand proceeding with caution.

That’s good. Saves a lot of cost and heartache later.

:thumbsup:

But how do you substitute solar for gas in the automobile?

This is to generate electrical power, not gas. Thought you knew.

BTW, it could do that, if you wanted to use hydrogen.

Seems to me they could look inside an old miner’s shack or under a section of desert highway and know as much as they’re likely to learn by spending a lot of money studying this, and making people do without power in the meantime. And, of course, when they learn that desert flora and fauna will be changed in whatever part of utterly useless desert will actually be used by the project, environmentalists will block the whole thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.