U.S. has role in Africa's unplanned baby bonanza

SIRAKANO, Uganda — At age 45, after giving birth to 13 children in her village of thatch roofs and bare feet, Beatrice Adongo made a discovery that startled her: birth control.

"I delivered all these children because I didn't know there was another way," said Adongo, who started on a free quarterly contraceptive injection last year. Surrounded by her weary-faced brood, her 21-month-old boy clutching at her faded blue dress, she added glumly: "I fear we are already too many in this family."

news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/3374340

It seems a little far-fetched to think that Bush had much to do with this woman having thirteen babies. Her ignorance of bc would have stretched far beyond his legacy of fighting AIDS in Africa.

Apparently nobody ever taught her how to recognize the signs of human female fertility either. And probably nobody ever will because there is no profit to be made from it. Unless of course, Mother Theresa’s order ever arrives in the area…

Economic insolvency is absolutely a serious reason to avoid pregnancy. And it can be done without the corporate welfare of subsidized pills too, with the side benefit of keeping intact God’s plan for human sexuality.

Sigh.

[quote="rick43235, post:1, topic:179607"]

[/quote]

I'm glad we weren't funding birth control. It sounds like that may change under Obama, which makes sense. He's reversed much pro-life progress...thank you, nominal Catholics. :mad:

[quote="rick43235, post:1, topic:179607"]

[/quote]

What a complete and utter propaganda piece. This is what qualifies as unbiased news nowadays, journalists pushing their own political agenda. Apparently its George Bush's and the USCCB's fault this women keeps having children. But what would you expect from a USC / Harvard grad like the author? Objective journalism? Nah.....

Apparently the average number of children per woman in Uganda is 6.77, not 13. Now, 6.77is a lot, but the average life span is also higher in the West. The 2.1 that everybody touts as the “replacement rate” is the replacement rate in the developed West.

Bush has a great legacy of success in the battle against AIDS in Africa. He keot his eye on the ball and made sure that the target was AIDS itself rather than furthering the anti-life agents from the left.
msnbc.msn.com/id/28605888/
Family planning in a way that recognizes and respects the traditions of Africa societies is something that the Catholic Church is uniquely suited for. That is a different matter altogether.

We can look for any money from the Obama government to be more friendly to the leftist agenda over there, and therefore less friendly to Catholic efforts at teaching a morality that will stop the AIDS epidemic before it even starts. That at any rate seems to be the main message of the propaganda piece of the OP.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.