U.S. Intelligence officials are arriving at Trump Tower in New York to brief President-elect Donald Trump on election hacking

U.S. Intelligence officials are arriving at Trump Tower in New York to brief President-elect Donald Trump on election hacking.

The officials are Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, CIA Director John Brennan and FBI Director James Comey. They’re preparing to point to multiple motives for Moscow’s alleged meddling as they brief Trump on their classified report.

They briefed senior lawmakers Friday morning. They briefed President Barack Obama on Thursday.

Trump has been deeply skeptical of allegations that Russia was involved.

Several advisers were to join Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence for the briefing. That includes his incoming chief of staff and national security adviser and the chiefs of the CIA and Homeland Security department.

apnews.com/ffc7ac4dbdb14159a3b30fa919e1f061

This sure has been made into a big news event.

There was no ‘hacking of the election’, there is nothing to indicate the Russians even attempted to change vote totals. Unless they were involved in sending people physically to the polls in places like Detroit which had far more votes recorded then physical ballots at the polls. The voting systems aren’t connected to the internet.

So, this meddling comes down to the Wikileaks which Assange and his managers insist came from a DNC insider. Which we were told when all the Podesta emails came to light were a big nothingburger.

Kind of curious why the big reaction now after the election to the Russians. What about all the Chinese hacks of OPM and the compromise of my and millions of other federal workers detailed private information? Kind of curious why a bunch of their diplomats weren’t kicked out.

Are these the same guys who were sure that there were WMDs in Iraq?

Still no quite sure what a ‘weapon of mass destruction’ is, it is a vague term that can encompass so many things as to be almost meaningless.

You’re right. Julian Assange and Putin are more reliable and trustworthy than our own intelligence agencies. If Putin says he didn’t do it, we know he’s telling the truth. You can just tell by looking into his eyes. :rolleyes:

Even in the absence of the politicization of the intelligence agencies, it is simply prudent for Trump to listen to what they have to say; perhaps make additional inquiries, ask for specific verification of assertions, and so on.

Any of us would expect to do the same. Completely aside from whatever happened with the DNC and Podesta hacks, if I was Trump I would absolutely want to know why anyone thinks the Russians did it. What’s the “signature” and if we know what it is, what actions have been taken to find it elsewhere. Even more, I would want to know what those agencies have done, if anything, to plug the holes in the other information sources that it appears Russia, China and others have bored into governmental records. And if the responses I received seemed to me inadequate, I would be considering just who might need to be replaced with any of those agencies, or what reorganization might be indicated.

It’s not unrealistic to believe that Trump has probably been briefed on deficiencies by some of his advisors prior to today. And some of those briefings might be pretty negative as to those agencies.

If I was Trump, I wouldn’t let them skate just because of what they are. And I think I would want some of those mandarins to sweat just a bit, just because they should.

This would be possible if there are enough absentee ballots cast. As it is, the 7 million absentee ballots have been disproportionately assigned to CA, WA, and NY. How was this made possible would be my question.

Why did the Russians do it? Because they wanted Trump to be POYUS. It’s pretty apparent from the fact that they sent congratulatory emails to each other on his election

The real question is WHY do they want Trump to be president? I cannot think of any reason that is not heart-stopping let frightening.

Read full intelligence report on Russia interfering with US election

If you really believe the Russians possess this much power and authority you are conceding that effectively they rule you. We seem to be retreating into McCarthy era, ‘Reds Under the Bed’ stuff.

Following the meeting the President-elects statement,

“I had a constructive meeting and conversation with the leaders of the Intelligence Community this afternoon. I have tremendous respect for the work and service done by the men and women of this community to our great nation.
“While Russia, China, other countries, outside groups and people are consistently trying to break through the cyber infrastructure of our governmental institutions, businesses and organizations including the Democrat National Committee, there was absolutely no effect on the outcome of the election including the fact that there was no tampering whatsoever with voting machines. There were attempts to hack the Republican National Committee, but the RNC had strong hacking defenses and the hackers were unsuccessful.
“Whether it is our government, organizations, associations or businesses we need to aggressively combat and stop cyberattacks. I will appoint a team to give me a plan within 90 days of taking office. The methods, tools and tactics we use to keep America safe should not be a public discussion that will benefit those who seek to do us harm. Two weeks from today I will take the oath of office and America’s safety and security will be my number one priority.”

nytimes.com/2017/01/06/us/politics/donald-trump-statement-hack-intelligence-briefing.html

Statement by Donald Trump:

"I had a constructive meeting and conversation with the leaders of the Intelligence Community this afternoon. I have tremendous respect for the work and service done by the men and women of this community to our great nation.

“While Russia, China, other countries, outside groups and people are consistently trying to break through the cyber infrastructure of our governmental institutions, businesses and organizations including the Democrat National Committee, there was absolutely no effect on the outcome of the election including the fact that there was no tampering whatsoever with voting machines. There were attempts to hack the Republican National Committee, but the RNC had strong hacking defenses and the hackers were unsuccessful.

Whether it is our government, organizations, associations or businesses we need to aggressively combat and stop cyberattacks. I will appoint a team to give me a plan within 90 days of taking office. The methods, tools and tactics we use to keep America safe should not be a public discussion that will benefit those who seek to do us harm. Two weeks from today I will take the oath of office and America’s safety and security will be my number one priority."

twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/817454807434887168/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

There is really no proof here of anything.

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear this is going to be overly transparent. There is data from core routers than could point to a source of an attack. I gather certain agencies don’t like to expose how many devices have backdoors.

Maybe not. Hillary might have been a heart-stopper to them and, in my view, should have been. She has demonstrated, to my satisfaction at least, that she’s a war-lover and erratic besides. She claimed “heroism” in the war on Serbia by faking being shot at. She started a war for no good reason at all in Libya except possibly to facilitate an arms deal through Qatar to get money herself. She rigged the repurchase and reshipment of serious arms to combatants in Syria, some of which were terrorists. She backed the Muslim Brotherhood’s takeover of Egypt, no particular friends of Russia’s. And returning to the war on Serbia, one can seriously question the degree to which that war risked war with Russia for no good reason at all.

And Putin had to know she was “for sale”. He probably knows it better than Americans will ever know it. It’s one thing for Putin to speculate on what Trump might do about this or that, but he could not be certain, even if he “bought” her with millions in contributions to the Clinton Foundation and giant speaking fees to Bill, that she would stay bought.

Congratulatory emails are nothing but international courtesies that few actually mean.

Those who are trying to undermine (different from just disagree with) President-elect Trump are not concerned in principle with cyber-security so long as it suits their purpose. That’s why they were silent on the issue of previous hacks from NOAA (a source cited routinely for “climate change”) to the Post Office.

I think they are trying as much as possible to imply that Russia changed vote totals in key states in the Rust Belt, but as you’ve already noted even automatic machines have no internet connection (if they were, a bigger problem may be people checking Facebook instead of voting :D:D).

And frankly speaking, the left doesn’t have a leg to stand on as there is also wide speculation that both President Clinton and President Obama were part of campaigns that benefited from foreign donations outside of the Clinton Foundation.

It’s rather obvious. The neo-cons and the Democrats were provoking Russia. My guess is that Putin wants a positive relationship with the USA rather than one on Cold War footing.

I am glad Trump won in that regard, because Trump is head of a party with a lot of political realists. Realists view the world as having a positive relationship but also understanding Putin’s ambitions and as Dinesh D’Souza notes “the basic foreign policy of both political parties (prior to Clinton Admin) that there is are mainly bad choices and worse choices”.

I’ve been warning the right about getting too close to Putin long before this election. Putin is ex-KGB and acts like it. Ben Shapiro recently noted the danger of falling for who Putin isn’t: encouraging him that we don’t do anything if he moves against the Baltic States or Kazakhstan.

There is no proof of anything. With trumps official statement this fiasco is now over.

Ever since he spent time in their labor camps during the war, my dad was probably the most anti-Russian guy around. Two things that would always come up at dinners:(1) The U.S. should never forget Khrushchev’s threat “We will bury you.” (2) Anything done to divide the U.S. benefits the Russians in the public opinion world.

Speculation is the tool of the devil

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.