U.S. issues anti-discrimination rule for employers

The Department of Labor “issued a rule to protect employees of federal contractors from discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity”:

news.yahoo.com/us-issues-anti-discrimination-rule-employers-213513870–politics.html

The Labor Department’s news release:

dol.gov/opa/media/press/ofccp/OFCCP20141942.htm

Links to the actual rule and other information:

dol.gov/ofccp/lgbt.html

As I understand the “religious exemption”, it will be like the “HHS Mandate”. So, Catholic Charities, if they do not require that all employees be Catholic and adhere to Catholic teachings, will be required to let “John” show up as “Jane” if the charity receives any federal funds.

A lot of employers are “federal contractors”, and they will be obliged to allow people to “express their gender identity” (subjectively perceived) in the workplace. So, as I read this, if a guy wants to come to work in drag, the employer will just have to live with it. Moreover, if the guy who wants to dress as a woman is otherwise the most qualified to work in a position in which dealing with the public is part of the job, the employer will just have to do it.

I wish I were wrong, but I don’t think I am.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.