U.S. justice temporarily blocks gay marriage in Kansas

news.yahoo.com/kansas-asks-u-supreme-court-put-gay-marriage-223524556.html

Justice Sonia Sotomayor issued an order saying that the court wanted gay marriage advocates to respond to the state’s application seeking to put gay marriage on hold.

I’m not seeing the point of putting it hold when they’ve already let so many decisions go into effect. If they do rule eventually to leave it to the states, it is going to create a lot of chaos. :dts:

Yes, it should be left to the States as they have regulated marriages for always. Just check out the differences in first cousins marriages between states.

The best we can hope for is for States to regulate it, I know some people want a Constitutional Amendment. That would be a lot of work and hard to do.

:yyeess:

=Path_Finder

The best we can hope for is for States to regulate it, I know some people want a Constitutional Amendment. That would be a lot of work and hard to do.

That does seem like the more practical measure for now. I’ve been leaning that way mostly, although I’m not sure if that’s sufficient in the eyes of the Church. :shrug:

Create chaos?
Too late. Chaos is what we have now.

We had a parsimonious, simple definition of marriage that worked just fine for decades.
Marriage laws ONLY APPLIED to a clearly defined cohort called husbands and wives and which everyone understood.

Language was clear. There were no “married bachelors”. There were no “husbands marrying husbands”
Underage people and cats and dogs and cousins and everyone else (other than 1 man 1 woman) knew that marriage laws applied to a heterosexual institution called MARRIAGE

Legal chaos = $$$$
…for you know who :thumbsup:

I just don’t think it’s fair to mess with people’s lives like that. They stayed the other cases and then just dropped the ball. When they finally do take up the case there are going to be a lot of people affected by the decision because they keep kicking the can down the road.

Well, the Kansas legislature approved a constitutional amendment just to clarify that marriage is between one man and one woman. That was approved by the legislature and also approved by a vote of the citizens. But just because the facts of nature and of history and of the will of the people give a clear answer is not good enough anymore. The courts will end up giving Kansas a contradiction in terms–same sex marriage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.