U.S. military conducts operation in Somalia

(CNN) – U.S. military forces conducted an operation Monday against the Al-Shabaab network in Somalia, Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby said.

“We are assessing the results of the operation and will provide additional information as and when appropriate,” he said.

No other information was immediately available.

The United States designated Al-Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked militant group, as a foreign terrorist organization in March 2008.

cnn.it/W4vJSk

google.com/maps/vt/data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,b2AfT_TucMfpsPwkS-O-I67_kYQb0W-NGChlwQ0DycUKBClyxqqEbzS4diWhMgj7PBio5M8khRWTqUBkmOD9l8N0hpKz05yiOWoLlNlC-ZJzh9SOtG2gUu8eLn9LZeAcWP3ao9T1EdGPUnOZWRCI-vQzfzWygxmSE4jHFcV1rv59J5RthKHkPn8WWhZxDAHMQwaHZGFG

Why Al-Shabaab and not Boko Haram?

I’m ok with the USA getting involved. What I don’t like is the middle eastern countries just standing pat. I know Egypt and UAE bombed Libya last week, but also at the end of last week the Saudi king stated that jihadists would cause chaos in the west, but he didn’t say, let me send troops or help with all these billions that I have.

Nigeria has an army fighting them now. The US and the West provides military aid.
punchng.com/news/us-britain-nigeria-others-review-counter-terrorism-war-sept-3/

The United States has had combat troops on the ground in Somalia since 2007. We’ve also conducted approximately twenty drone attacks since that time, killing an unknown number of enemy combatants and civilians. It’s been an open secret and it’s been reported on, so if it weren’t so disgusting it would almost be funny that the Pentagon has finally acknowledged what everyone already knew. I think that for many Americans reality isn’t real until they see it on CNN.:frowning:

And we just setup another base in the neighborhood of Nigeria
washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/military-footprints-in-the-sahara/2014/09/01/2ffa5d2c-321b-11e4-9e92-0899b306bbea_graphic.html

Anytime bad guys are “dealt with”; I think it’s a good thing.

…just my opinion…

US confirms Shabaab emir Godane killed in airstrike bit.ly/1u7dUzR

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.