U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes

Coded references to New Testament Bible passages about Jesus Christ are inscribed on high-powered rifle sights provided to the United States military by a Michigan company, an ABC News investigation has found.

abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-military-weapons-inscribed-secret-jesus-bible-codes/story?id=9575794&page=1

What a bizzare story-I thought it was a joke at first.

So ?

Weapons inscribed with codes about Jesus. I kind of take offense to this, as weapons are violent things that I highly doubt Jesus would condone.

"It's wrong, it violates the Constitution, it violates a number of federal laws," said Michael "Mikey" Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an advocacy group that seeks to preserve the separation of church and state in the military.

I love the First Amendment as much as anybody but some of these "advocates" I just want to shove a copy of the Constitution down their throat.

"It allows the Mujahedeen, the Taliban, al Qaeda and the insurrectionists and jihadists to claim they're being shot by Jesus rifles," he said.

Ah!
A more reaistic objection. It should not be technically challenging to grind off the verses on sights (oops! I mean Advanced Combat Optical Guides) already in use and ask the company leave them off of future orders.

I agree.

Opps, sorry I just posted this too, didn't see this thread when I posted it up.

Just remember, the reference to the Bible verses are NOT on the weapons themselves, but on the scopes

[quote="SaintJ, post:6, topic:183640"]
Opps, sorry I just posted this too, didn't see this thread when I posted it up.

Just remember, the reference to the Bible verses are NOT on the weapons themselves, but on the scopes

[/quote]

You mean the scopes the sniper looks through right before he blows the head off of his oppoenent?

I object on other grounds. All these scopes will have to be recalled and replaced. We will have to pay for this. If the military doesn’t scrap them, there will be a court case that will require this. Also, though I consider myself a devout Catholic, I don’t think that Jews for example in the military should be subjected to polemic from a religion they don’t believe in. They are serving their country, not someone else’s religion.

If my son was in harms way I would love to have him reminded of the words of Scripture. War is a part of life…I hate it, but I am thankful for the company that had the courage to do something like this…

What if your son were Jewish?

Then he’d probably refer him to some of the “Older” parts…

Anyways, I saw this on the news the other night, and I found it interesting they covered this, basically a non-story, but forwent any of the stories around the world that happen daily where Christians are brutally oppressed by Muslims.

It’s just the media once again, trying to portray the War on Terror as a Crusade against Islam.

I don’t know if having Gospel verses on guns is the best idea, but regardless:

1)People so often do not understand “Separation of Church and State”, and it wouldn’t apply here anyways

2)If a soldier is killing Muslims because they are Muslim, in the name of Jesus, he doesn’t have any business being a soldier, and doesn’t understand his faith very well.

Once again, its much ado about nothing. Just another attempt to make Christians look bad.

[quote="Bob4BVM, post:2, topic:183640"]
So ?

[/quote]

Haha, wow. You win the thread, buddy. Consider my day brightened.

Sushi:

Weapons inscribed with codes about Jesus. I kind of take offense to this, as weapons are violent things that I highly doubt Jesus would condone.

Careful. Talk like that just might make someone think that you're a Christian....

[quote="AntiTheist, post:12, topic:183640"]
Haha, wow. You win the thread, buddy. Consider my day brightened.

Sushi: Careful. Talk like that just might make someone think that you're a Christian....

[/quote]

:rolleyes: Yeah, we have real problems, we worry about the dumbest things...

I would hope that I would say…“is it a harm to you? Honey, just think of it as a serial number???..Oy vey…we certainly do make mountains out of molehills!”

Well as a military guy I really don’t know what to think about this:

PRAISE THE LORD—PRAISE JESUS—MAY THE LORD BE WITH YOU!—JN3:16

So.... in a way... these are GNOSTIC rifle scopes! (Since the Gnostics looked for hidden Biblical wisdom...) :D

I'll get my coat...

On a more serious note, if these rifles then fall into the hands of the Taliban or a local Muslim population, they can accuse the US government of secretly launching a modern-day Christian crusade against Islam. This could be a tool to win otherwise indifferent locals over to an insurgency against the US.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:8, topic:183640"]
I object on other grounds. All these scopes will have to be recalled and replaced. We will have to pay for this. If the military doesn't scrap them, there will be a court case that will require this. Also, though I consider myself a devout Catholic, I don't think that Jews for example in the military should be subjected to polemic from a religion they don't believe in. They are serving their country, not someone else's religion.

[/quote]

We are talking about a serial number on a rifle scope that has special significance for the scope manufacturer and members of the Christian faith. However, for members of the Jewish faith, it has absolutely no significance or meaning. It is a serial number made up of letters and numbers, similar to any other serial number on a piece of military equipment. Now I can't speak for the ramifications under American law. However, as a Judge and as as a Sgan Aluf (Lt. Col.) in the IDF (res), my opinion is that the army of the Jewish state of Israel will have no problem with the serial numbers on those scopes in its possession.

Hey, it’s a weapon that does the job it was designed to do. Honestly. if this makes a difference to you, maybe you should find a perfect, sanitized war where the enemy doesn’t play for keeps.

Its not a serial number. The mfg, BTW, announced they will not put the verse references on the scopes anymore and provide a kit(for free) to remove them from the scopes already issued.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.