U.S. missile brought down Russian helicopter in Syria: report

japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/10/world/u-s-missile-brought-russian-helicopter-syria-report/#.V4SFBVdlmRv

**Two Russian airmen killed in Syria on Friday were shot down with American weaponry, the Interfax news agency said Sunday, quoting a Russian military source.

It said insurgents from the Islamic State group hit the airmen’s Mi-25 assault helicopter with a U.S.-made TOW heavy anti-tank missile, a weapon that uses guidance from a ground station.

The high-tech system is in service with the U.S. military.**

This article continues at the link.

And another article:

military.com/daily-news/2016/07/11/us-missile-brought-russian-helicopter-syria-report.html

I wonder how a US missile got into the hands of ISIS anyway. The US government would never knowingly supply them.

Sarcasm?:confused:

The Iraqis and insrgents we do supply have been overrun in several areas (and lamentably, several times) - so it’s not that big a mystery…

A prayer for the aircrew…

With ISIS occupying areas that had US support, the assumption they were “knowingly supplied” has no credence whatsoever.

ISIS captured multiple hundreds of millions of dollars worth of U.S. military equipment in Iraq a year or two ago. It had been given to the Iraqi army, and they dropped it and ran when ISIS attacked.

This is not sarcasm. The US is the biggest enemy of ISIS.

Really frustrates me when people talk about these topics and say things like “we supplied them with the weapons” implied by the start of this thread.

The middle east is a really complicated situation, supporting a group one year to overthrow a terrible dictator does not mean that any problems in that country afterwards is America and UK’s fault.

There is no right answer to any of the problems of the middle east, I see it as rolling a dice - might end up better, might end up worse. I think of it like this, by chance I have been born into the UK ( a developed countries with our freedoms and protection by laws and welfare state to ensure the weakest in our society are given a basic standard of living), I could have been quite easily born into another country where these freedoms and basics needed for survival were not there, I know what I’d want to do - roll the dice

Syria, Russia and Iran are the biggest enemies of ISIL, while either through stupidity or guile the United States and Saudi Arabia are funneling arms to them, and Israel is supplying logistic and medical aid. Turkey, as well, is implicated in all of the above. It may very well be a case of “the enemy of my enemy,” but the US and it’s allies are definitely using ISIL to wage a proxy war against Assad. It’s really disgusting and Satanic when you think about the Christians and Yezidis who are being raped and butchered and sold into slavery. No one is protecting them except for Assad, sadly. The US has made a few gestures in that direction, but has focused entirely on relocating Muslim refugees abroad, instead of Christians and Yezidis. You really have to dig deeply into international investigative journalism to begin to get an accurate picture of what’s going on, because we aren’t being told the truth by our mass media. In my view, we should relocate Christians and Yezidis en masse to the United States and Europe, and send all of the Muslim refugees to Muslim countries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.