U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

My fellow Americans keep up the good work.:thumbsup:
U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people
Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:57pm EDT
reuters.com/article/topNe…34893820070828

By Laura MacInnis

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world’s 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

“There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people,” it said.

India had the world’s second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country’s overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

“Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons – these images are certainly misleading,” Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

“Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income,” he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

“Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed,” Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

© Thomson Reuters 2009 All rights reserved

Coooooooool! :slight_smile:

Chocolate is yummy.

• President George Washington**

Whoopie, we’re the most violent nation on earth, where anyone can have a gun! Never mind that most of them don’t need one and/or don’t know how to use one.

Can you please prove your statement with references?

You mean keep buying more guns? You don’t need to ask me twice…:smiley:

I believe that the ‘90 guns per 100 people’ would be the reference.

One of these days, I’ll buy one. By the way, is ammo still scarce out there?

I think that you are wrong! We are the most loving society because we are the ones that give that largest amount to charities world-wide.

Don’t count me in. My wife decided to use my gun safe for other purposes too. Just like the bedroom closet she has taken over.:smiley:

I love guns myself, so please don’t get me wrong. All I am trying to say is that 90 per 100 people should stand out like a red flag to us. Think about that. If 90 out of 100 people can get a gun, how many of these people are dangerous? Quite a few, likely.

Hooray? Even if we agree that civilian gun ownership is necessary for a successful society (which may or may not be true), it isn’t really something to celebrate.

That depends on what kind of ammunition you need.

Yeah, a few of them probably are dangerous. That’s why it’s good the rest of us have guns too!!

IMHO Guns dont equal violence. People make violence, guns are just a tool.

I think that it is something to celebrate since it means that those nuts in DC have not taken this right away from us yet. But I am sure after reading this headline they will try to use that reasoning to do so.

The US is not the most violent country in the world and anyone with half a brain would recognize that fact. That is why so many are trying so hard to get here. Because as of yet we haven’t completely lost our minds and threw all our rights out the window to live in some fantasy utopia, that the PC would like us to believe actually exists out there somewhere.

It’s 90 guns per 100 people. that does not mean out of 100 people, 90 of them have guns.

“Abuse dose not neglegate use” - an archbishop I think?

Love your DeviantArt, draw more for God :slight_smile:

As anyone ever read an article called A Nation of Cowards by Jeffery R. Snyder? Its a very interesting article about the importance of guns and why they shouldnt be banned. Heres the link if anyones interested. (I hope its ok that I post it here)
krtraining.com/KRTraining/Archive/cowards.html

Also heres some other interesting bits of information that I’ve read:
8 reasons to oppose gun control
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938, and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
As the old adage goes: With guns, we are citizens. Without them, we are subjects.

Not really true. Many people are barred from legal firearm ownership via legal restrictions (i.e. felony convictions) or mental incapacity.

That most people don’t need one is a can of worms. From what I have seen, most people don’t think they need protection until something bad happens to them.

That many people who buy them don’t know how to use them is spot on. We won’t let you drive a car without proving you know how to handle it safely but not so with a firearm. Some states are different though. If I recall correctly, Utah requires a successful completion of a handgun training course to get a carry permit.

Just to look at that number another way, the last I saw was a figure that 30% of American adults own guns. If we assume there are 200 million adults in the US, that gives us 60 million gun owners for 270 million guns or about 4.5 guns per adult gun owner.

“If the police need to use a van to haul away your guns and ammo…you didn’t have enough guns or ammo.” - GL101

This. All of the gun-owners that I know, own more than one gun.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.