U.S. no longer controls internet

U.S. no longer controls internet

yahoo.com/tech/us-cuts-cord-internet-oversight-113602357.html

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3817113/US-cuts-cord-internet-oversight.html

**US government gives up formal oversight over the internet and hands management of the web’s ‘address book’ to a nonprofit

The US Commerce Department announced that its contract had expired with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)

ICANN manages the internet’s so-called ‘root zone’

Move is part of a decades-old plan by the US to ‘privatize’ the internet

Backers have said it would help maintain its integrity around the world

Like we ever did?

Wasn’t the WWW a creation of the CERN lab in Switzerland, initially???

ICXC NIKA

I had no idea Al Gore worked at CERN :wink:

WWW, perhaps. But DNS (Domain Name Service) was created out of DARPA, a US Defense project.

cyber.harvard.edu/icann/pressingissues2000/briefingbook/dnshistory.html

Whoever now controls the Internet should kick my internet provider in the pants for slowing my download speed in retaliation for not falling for their “provider package upgrade” sales pitch. :slapfight:

Which itself rides on top of the IP protocol stack (along with UDP and TCP); both DARPA projects. To be fair DARPA contracted out IP development to BBN (now part of Raytheon), Stanford and University College London so it was never fully a US only project, but it certainly was funded by US taxpayers.

Because…He invented the internet! :thumbsup:

So… who controls the internet now? Russian hackers?

With the amazing number of criminals and terrorists using the internet for their own purposes, who would admit they control it? I can’t imagine anyone taking responsibility for how it is used. This is only about how web addresses are registered.

It would be great if people could just have access to their sites cut off if they were found to be using it for nefarious purposes, but government moves so slowly, there would be a replacement site setup and operating before the government could file court papers.

Here’s a different take:

The Internet Finally Belongs to Everyone

Well, I know the internet doesn’t belong to me, not even partially. Along with most everyone else, I can only get access by paying an internet service provider (ISP). I used to work for a government agency. I asked the IT guy once “Do we have an ISP?” He looked puzzled. “No. We’re just plugged in to it.” I asked if he could show me the line from the buildng that connected us to the internet, but he had no idea.

“Well,” I asked, “if I had a lot of money, could I plug into it directly, without going through an ISP?” He didn’t think so.

So it appears that there are only a limited number of entities with direct internet access. Everybody else has to pay them.

The U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of speech.

Not sure any other country appreciates that.

The ISP’s also pay for access to Internet Backbone providers, who in turn connect to the rest of the world. Everyone pays in some way or another. That government agency you mentioned may very well have been a backbone provider, connecting to other backbones and to ISPs.

My understanding is that the internet began with ARPANET which connected government and military installations, so I figured that they were already connected. But how? Whenever I ask about the actual structure of the internet I am never able to get specifics.

As far as I remember the US Government left ARPANET back in the early 80s when MILNet was brought up. It was eventually replaced with NIPRNET (along with SIPRNET and what ever the top secret network is called). NIPRNet carries the unclassified government data and then has Internet gateway connections into tier 1 backbone providers.

Tier 1 providers in the US are companies like Sprint, ATT, Comcast, Verizon (formerly UUNET), etc. Tier 1 providers then interconnect with each other through IXPs (internet exchange points). Most individuals are connected via a tier 2 or tier 3 ISP. These ISPs aggregate data up to regional networks that then typically transfer them onto a tier 1 network. If your destination is serviced by the same tier 1 network you typically wouldn’t cross an IXP. But the 11th hop from me to British Telecom crosses an IXP between Comcast to BT:

(traceroute example)
10 114 ms 159 ms 161 ms as5400-pe01.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net [75.149.228.162]
11 188 ms 174 ms 122 ms t2c3-xe-0-3-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.208.26]

I am not familiar with NIPRNE, but I am assuming that they operate like a private Tier 1 provider and then use something like IXPs to interconnect with other Tier 1 providers. Their cost (if any) would be tied into some type of peering agreement.

Thank you. It just struck me as odd that government IT people had no idea how their internet traffic was getting into and out of the building!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.