U.S. refuses to veto UN vote on Israeli settlements

DECEMBER 24, 2016, 7:07 AM| On Friday, the U.S. allowed the passage of a United Nations Security Council resolution condemning Israeli settlements in Palestinian territory. It was the first time in decades that the Security Council was able to adopt a resolution on settlements. In the past, the U.S. has used its veto power to block resolutions critical of Israeli policies. cbsnews.com/videos/u-s-refuses-to-veto-un-vote-on-israeli-settlements/

cnn.com/2016/12/23/politics/israel-official-rips-obama-un-settlements/

It’s just the last gasp of an outgoing administration.

Fortunately, UN resolutions are seldom worth much.

ICXC NIKA

I am personally glad that the U.S. has refused to veto this UN vote on Israeli settlements. I feel that what Israel is doing with establishing settlements in Palestinian territory is wrong.

:thumbsup:

I think the past three popes, one of whom is now a saint, would echo your sentiments.

I agree with your first statement. I can’t comment on the second one regarding UN resolutions as to their worth. I don’t hold the UN in high regard though.

it is effectivey a policy of ethnic cleansing that is disgraceful and shameful.

I am too, it exposes the UN for what it really is, a haven for 3rd world kleptocrats and antisemitism. It’s long past time the free nations of the world bulldozed this cesspit on the East River.

Jews have been pretty effectively cleansed from Europe and the non Israeli part of the Middle East.

On this Christmas day I pray for God’s blessing on the good people at the UN and all the good works they continue to do. God bless them all!

Yes, my grandfather-in-law’s family were among them. However, tu quoque is not a justiable way of defending Israel’s policies on certain issues. Been oppressed does not mean that a nation founded by those who were oppressed can never itself commit questionable acts or oppress others. The Shoah cannot be forever more pulled out in this fashion as an attempt to play a guilt card and shut down any negative views of Israeli policies or actions.

:thumbsup:

Ah yes, the ever popular ‘two wrongs make aright’ theory of argument. The Jews were indeed historically oppressed in Europe, the oppression ranging from mild to severe depending on the locale they lived in and the time period. However much of the events in Israel bear out the view that the oppressed or their children are not therefore automatically guaranteed not to engage in behaviour of a similar kind. I would not sum up the history of Israel as one of primarily or only oppression and it is far, far preferable as a state than many that surround it but the stubborn denial of the problems that approaches that are tantamount to ethnic cleansing create in the long term are troubling.

You mean, like rape and child sex trafficking?

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/world/africa/united-nations-peacekeepers-central-african-republic.html?_r=0&referer=

Shame on us. Hopefully the world sees that we are not serious with our non veto now and it’s just petty politics.

Jan 20th can’t come fast enough.

I agree! I have been waiting a long time for Jan. 20th!

The UN in general is not responsible for these acts any more than the Church in general is responsible for the very few priests who have abused children.

No, what I was thinking of was the UN World Food Program that feeds 104 million people in 80 countries in war zones, natural disasters, health emergencies, etc. Aid to refugees. Protecting children through UNICEF including immunization and education and protection against exploitation. Peacekeeping missions. Running elections under difficult circumstances. War crimes prosecution. Fighting AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria, etc. Raising awareness of the plight of land mine victims, Marburg fever and cholera sufferers, child soldiers, etc. That is why I say “God bless the people at the UN.”

Is it responsible for the “Oil for Food” program that enriched Saddam Hussein by $1.8B and left the Iraqi people to starve? The UN is at it’s heart a corrupt and perverse organization that exists mostly to benefit corrupt leaders and provide a forum for dictators and antisemites. To note that some good occasionally comes out of it is no more relevant than pointing out that you can occasionally find a good article in Playboy.

I think it the opposite. In face of all the good that the UN has done, you have to go digging under every rock to find things that have gone wrong.

There are plenty of other organizations in the world whose charter is to do acts of charity and mercy. If that is the only function of any benefit of the UN, then we could probably dissolve it or spin it into a charitable and world health organization.

The UN is suppose to be in place to prevent war. That, by and far, it has not achieved. The reasons why countries choose to go to war or not to go to war, really don’t have anything to do with the UN.

Getting back to the OP. I agree this is a parting shot by Obama against Israel. I don’t think he likes the current Israeli government and he may not like the fact that Israel exists at all. Remember, Obama is against colonization in any form.

In Luke 9 we read:
Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in Your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not accompany us.” “Do not stop him, Jesus replied, “for whoever is not against you is for you."
Why would you complain that the UN should not be doing good works because other groups should be doing them? Quite obviously with the world the way it is, we need all the good works we can get. There are not enough of them, and the UN is a particularly good and effective one, especially in the area of fighting disease world-wide. Who else is fighting polio besides the UN and the US CDC? We have the UN WHO to thank for the fact that smallpox has been eliminated in the wild.

The UN is suppose to be in place to prevent war. That, by and far, it has not achieved. The reasons why countries choose to go to war or not to go to war, really don’t have anything to do with the UN.

Saying that the UN has failed in stopping war is like saying the medical profession has failed in eliminating disease. War continues, but in places it is not as bad as it would have been if no one had acted as the UN has acted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.