U.S. secretly created ‘Cuban Twitter’ to stir unrest

*Documents show the U.S. government planned to build a subscriber base through “non-controversial content”: news messages on soccer, music, and hurricane updates. Later when the network reached a critical mass of subscribers, perhaps hundreds of thousands, operators would introduce political content aimed at inspiring Cubans to organize “smart mobs” — mass gatherings called at a moment’s notice that might trigger a Cuban Spring, or, as one USAID document put it, “renegotiate the balance of power between the state and society.” …

“There will be absolutely no mention of United States government involvement,” according to a 2010 memo from Mobile Accord, one of the project’s contractors. “This is absolutely crucial for the long-term success of the service and to ensure the success of the Mission.”
Washington Post*

Hmmm. This will fail because the majority of cubans distrust the US more than they do their govt. You don’t have the freedom to ‘mob’ in Cuba, anyway. Shows our gvmnt lack of intelligence.

Assuming this program arose under Obama’s watch, would people here feel better if he had done nothing in this regard? I pose the question because many here seem equally ready to call him a warmonger AND a weakling, all in the same breath, at the drop of a political hat.

My question would be: To what extent did this kind of endeavor occur in other incidents of mass unrest like Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Syria, Ukraine and Venezuela? Clearly, social media is a powerful means of marshaling large numbers of like-minded individuals to action. The question is how are these large numbers brought together in the first place? It only takes a few powerful voices to initiate action and who would know more about background issues than American intelligence agencies whose operatives could easily provide a wealth of compelling information?

I would advise all posters to read the article…either this administration has gotten smart about covering its tracks (which it isn’t always keen on) or this really was something done by USAID without significant oversight (although apparently Congress investigated the matter and gave the thumbs up).

Casilda, none of the users in Cuba knew that this was a US program, including people at their University of Computer Sciences who had some of the highest volume of followers. The whole point was that this would be covert. And Cuba has found out, as they shut it down already, but this whole operation started 5+ years ago.

:thumbsup:

Not to mention a wealth of weapons like we’ve done everywhere else.

I’m surprised we didn’t just start performing extrajudicial assassinations with our drones. I mean, what’s one more nation (with whom we’re not at war)?

This is really interesting to me. I also wonder to what extent such things were done in nations such as Egypt where revolutions have occurred.

I would also like to know what would the morality be of this covert program according to Catholic moral and social teaching? Would Catholic moral and social teaching support covert programs aimed at hopefully stimulating citizens of an oppressive government to try to make their government more just or to start a revolution? I really don’t know the answer concerning this which is why I ask. The one thing on my mind though is that this whole thing seems dishonest. Clearly since it was a covert action there had to be some dishonesty going on in order to keep it secret. However, I do think that bringing about a more free and just government in nations with an oppressive government is a good thing but I just wonder if this program was a moral way of doing that or not. If it is not, what would be a moral way of bringing about such change or stimulating the desire to bring about such change or encouraging/helping citizens of an oppressive government to bring about change?

Another thing I wanted to mention and I may very well be wrong on this is that this article has alerted me to the fact that the government can create secret programs which nobody knows about with the intention of manipulating society. The potential for abuse of something like this has me a little concerned. I mean, what if our nation’s government was to become even more oppressive than it already is (concerning religious freedom and other freedoms under attack) and the government wanted to manipulate us into supporting it in a secret manner? I suppose one could argue that the mass media is definitely a way to bring about change in society through propaganda and such but as far as I know, we still have freedom of the press in our society and so it’s not controlled by the government. I have, however, heard of a few attempts of the government at silencing the press on certain issues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.