U.s. Sen. Robert c. Byrd dies at 92

wvgazette.com/News/201006280099

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
And may perpetual light shine upon him

I certainly do hope and pray he found peace with God before he died. But his life work is not something to be proud of. A Grand Wizard and recruiter in the KKK, he voted against civil rights. In 1944 he wrote: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." Yet he supported almost all liberal causes in his later years, including abortion.

He did some good things - he supported John Roberts for Supreme Court Justice.

I heard someone this morning say that with the death of Kennedy and now Byrd, it's the end of an era. We can only hope so.

[quote="Brooklyn, post:2, topic:203548"]

I heard someone this morning say that with the death of Kennedy and now Byrd, it's the end of an era.

[/quote]

The spirit still lives on in many...

[quote="jjdrury81, post:3, topic:203548"]
The spirit still lives on in many...

[/quote]

To his credit Byrd, unlike Kennedy, never sold out to the culture of death.

[quote="Brooklyn, post:2, topic:203548"]
I certainly do hope and pray he found peace with God before he died. But his life work is not something to be proud of. A Grand Wizard and recruiter in the KKK, he voted against civil rights. In 1944 he wrote: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." Yet he supported almost all liberal causes in his later years, including abortion.

He did some good things - he supported John Roberts for Supreme Court Justice.

I heard someone this morning say that with the death of Kennedy and now Byrd, it's the end of an era. We can only hope so.

[/quote]

Let us hope he is replaced with someone who is commited to life.

Byrd was never a Grand Wizard of the KKK. The highest he got was something called a Exalted Cyclops

He joined the KKK when he was 24 and quit one year later. The quote in the post above occured when he was 26 and no longer an active member of the KKK. It still shows predudice in the young man. It took some years and some hard political knocks, but he left all that behind him.

In his later years he was a staunch defender of racial equality. We as Catholics know about forgiveness of sin and repentance. I think in this instance, Byrd demonstrated repentance.

He wrote of the exerience:

"It has emerged throughout my life to haunt and embarrass me and has taught me in a very graphic way what one major mistake can do to one's life, career, and reputation," Byrd wrote in a new memoir -- "Robert C. Byrd: Child of the Appalachian Coalfields"

my 2-cents

-g

[quote="gilliam, post:6, topic:203548"]
Byrd was never a Grand Wizard of the KKK. The highest he got was something called a Exalted Cyclops

He joined the KKK when he was 24 and quit one year later. The quote in the post above occured when he was 26 and no longer an active member of the KKK. It still shows predudice in the young man. It took some years and some hard political knocks, but he left all that behind him.

In his later years he was a staunch defender of racial equality. We as Catholics know about forgiveness of sin and repentance. I think in this instance, Byrd demonstrated repentance.

"It has emerged throughout my life to haunt and embarrass me and has taught me in a very graphic way what one major mistake can do to one's life, career, and reputation," Byrd wrote in a new memoir -- "Robert C. Byrd: Child of the Appalachian Coalfields"

my 2-cents

-g

[/quote]

It's possible that he did come to regret what he did. But he was also a lifelong, dyed in the wool politician, and he is going to say whatever is politcally expedient. I have no doubt that being a member of the KKK did come to haunt him, and well it should have. But I don't see where he says that he thought it was wrong in and of itself.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be forgiven for what he did. I pray for his soul as I do for all, and I hope he found forgiveness. But at the same time, his life work was very much against everything I believe in, and I don't mourn his passing from public office. I hope and pray we get someone to replace him who is pro life and more traditional Christian values.

[quote="Brooklyn, post:7, topic:203548"]
It's possible that he did come to regret what he did. But he was also a lifelong, dyed in the wool politician, and he is going to say whatever is politcally expedient. I have no doubt that being a member of the KKK did come to haunt him, and well it should have. But I don't see where he says that he thought it was wrong in and of itself.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be forgiven for what he did. I pray for his soul as I do for all, and I hope he found forgiveness. But at the same time, his life work was very much against everything I believe in, and I don't mourn his passing from public office. I hope and pray we get someone to replace him who is pro life and more traditional Christian values.

[/quote]

May he rest in peace.

I hope we get someone who's labor friendly.

Only God knows where his heart truly was.

That being said, there needs to be a cutoff age. He was too old.

my 2-cents

-g

[/quote]

Was he also the only Senator to vote against the confirmation of the only two black SC Justices to sit on the bench?

[quote="Brooklyn, post:7, topic:203548"]
I hope and pray we get someone to replace him who is pro life and more traditional Christian values.

[/quote]

What if his replacement is Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim?

[quote="josephdavid, post:11, topic:203548"]
What if his replacement is Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim?

[/quote]

It doesn't mean that they can't have some traditional Christian values, does it? :shrug:

What do you define as traditional Christian values?

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:9, topic:203548"]

That being said, there needs to be a cutoff age. He was too old.

[/quote]

Shouldn't that be left up to the voters in his state? I think so.

[quote="gilliam, post:14, topic:203548"]

[/quote]

No. There is a minimum age and I think it would be even more important to impose a maximum age. In my opinion 80 is too old to reliably serve the people. There should be term limits as well.

[quote="josephdavid, post:13, topic:203548"]
What do you define as traditional Christian values?

[/quote]

Love your neighbor as you would yourself, Do onto others as you would have them do onto you

I would say that Byrd more than carried this into his public service work.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:17, topic:203548"]
I would say that Byrd more than carried this into his public service work.

[/quote]

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I never really paid that much attention to him.

Someone mentioned Christian values. Someone else said what if his replacement was Jewish or a Muslim. I was pointing out that being Jewish or a Muslim wouldn't necessarily rule them out as having some traditional Christian values that were greater than Sen. Byrd's.

my 2-cents

-g

[/quote]

Excellent post. I tend to question the motives of those who bring up the KKK in reference to Byrd, considering that Byrd renounced his prior involvement, and considering that this happened 60+ years ago. Also, before the Iraq War, Byrd gave a very impassioned speech about the inherent dangers of this particular military action. In hindsight his speech was spot on.

[quote="gilliam, post:14, topic:203548"]

[/quote]

I agree to a point. The longer I live, the more I think we need term limits. Those folks who land in DC and don't leave have no idea how their constituents live. They are in the rarified air of a political city and they long ago lost touch with how the rest of us live.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.