U.S. Senator Disrupts Summit in Washington, Saying Christians are Israel's Ally

The statement infuriated Lebanese Ambassador to the United States Antoine Chedid and Melkite Greek Catholic Patriarch Gregorios III Laham.
Laham was determined to withdraw from the gala dinner until Cruz left the room. naharnet.com/stories/en/147039-u-s-senator-disrupts-summit-in-washington-saying-christians-are-israel-s-ally

Good to see that two Catholic Patriarchs along with other Christians from the Middle East have a decidedly different opinion regarding the state of Israel, than many American Catholics have.

Are these the Middle East Christians we are trying to save?

The Melkite and Maronite Patriarchs live in the region and have a much better grasp of the real situation than any of us have.

There is a lot of Antisemitism in the ME.

It is rare that I agree with Sen. Ted Cruz on anything but, to me, his statements regarding the common interests of Christians and Jews, as well as their common persecution, ring true.

Both Catholic and Orthodox Hierarchs in the Middle East, have a considerably different view of the situation there than do pro-Zionist Catholics in the USA.

Sounds like the zionist conspiracy theory. Israel is in the ME and has a good grasp on the reality also.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFkQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalreview.com%2Fcorner%2F255224%2Fmelkite-patriarch-absolves-islam-blames-zionist-conspiracy-jack-fowler&ei=zKgRVLyPHo3-8AGAm4Bw&usg=AFQjCNHNS_jBb_PXQD4pPxe7QT6oSVoH1Q

I thought Israel was where Jesus lived and taught. Guess I was wrong. If we don’t support Israel, we will lose the places where Jesus walked, lived, taught and died.

I don’t support violence but I believe they do gave the right to defend themselves within reason.

I would think all Christians would support the religion of Jesus Christ, Judaism. His mother, Mary was Jewish, his stepfather Joseph was Jewish, most of his followers were Jewish. I think I’ll stand with the statement of Cruz. Some haven’t learn to turn the other cheek, or to Love your brother.

Yea, but I don’t find it odd that there are various ideas on the issue. Living in the area would bring various ideas and thinking. That said I agree with Cruz.

Imagine if the Catholic Bishops in the Middle East voiced strongly held opinions regarding an issue that primarily effected Americans and not them. And then when people here disagreed with them if they took an attitude of “Wow, that is really sad that Americans can be so blind regarding what goes on in there country” That’s pretty much what I see here only in reverse.

According to HotAir, some speakers at the conference were known backers of Hezbollah and Assad of Syria.
Source:hotair.com/archives/2014/09/11/video-cruz-booed-offstage-for-defending-israel-at-conference-of-middle-east-christians/

Well, when these type of situations happen its not uncommon for even friends to disagree on a plan of action, or to disagree on the entire dilemma to begin with since in the states Freedom of speech gives the opposition equal footing.

How sad was it that Germany never seen Hitler coming or Russia with communism? How do we know Russia isn’t just as blind as last time? Why shouldn’t this be considered or quickly dismissed. What has changed with Russia and the USA since communism?

The dynamics of any conflict will always be debated while its on-going, and few see the truth while its going on.

Refreshing.

Mideast patriarchs now meeting at White House with Obama, scheduled meeting.

The conference was about Christians being killed. It wasn’t about Israeli imperialist ambitions. Cruz shouldn’t even have been there, Zionist shills should have been banned from the conference.

I am glad he was booed.

Believers in conspiracies have a pretty good grasp of the irreal.

RGOP congressman calls Cruz remarks to Christian group ‘outrageous’ and ‘incendiary’

Rep. Charlie Dent (Pa.), a moderate Republican, called remarks made Wednesday by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) at a Christian event “outrageous” and “incendiary.”

In an interview, Dent said he was sitting in the front row as Cruz spoke at a gala hosted by In Defense of Christians, an organization that seeks to raise awareness of the persecution of Christians and religious minorities in the Middle East, and that he cringed as Cruz responded to hecklers.

At the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, Cruz said, “Those who hate Israel hate America, and those who hate Jews hate Christians." A handful of attendees jeered the senator’s rhetoric and tone.

Dent, whose district has a large population of Americans of Syrian and Lebanese descent, said he sympathized with those who were unhappy with Cruz, and wondered if the senator’s intent was to inflame the audience in order to gain traction with tea party activists ahead of a potential 2016 presidential run.

“I support Israel, but what Senator Cruz did was outrageous and incendiary,” Dent said. “He showed a true lack of sensitivity for the people he was speaking to, especially the religious leaders who were there. It was a political speech, inappropriate and, overall, an uncomfortable moment.”

Dent added that Cruz seemed to be speaking “for another audience” beyond the ballroom that would later watch the video.

washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/09/11/gop-congressman-calls-cruz-remarks-to-christian-group-outrageous-and-incendiary/

“Dent added that Cruz seemed to be speaking “for another audience” beyond the ballroom that would later watch the video.” That was the impression I had when I was watching the video.

Senator Ted Cruz walked off the stage at a Washington conference on the persecution of Christians on September 10, after he was roundly booed for a keynote address in which he focused on …

More…

There are good political reasons for politicians with large numbers of ME Christians in their electorate to stand up for the antisemitism of their electorate too.

That is not a principled response however.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.