U.S. senator introduces resolution to repeal Obamacare

WASHINGTON, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Republican U.S. Senator Mike Enzi introduced on Tuesday a resolution allowing for the repeal of Obamacare, President Barack Obama’s signature health insurance program that provides coverage to millions of Americans, Enzi’s office said in a statement.

The move by the Senate’s budget committee chairman on the first day of the new Congress set in motion Republican promises to repeal Obamacare as their first major legislative agenda item. Republicans have said the repeal process could take months and developing replacement health insurance plans could take years.

news.trust.org/item/20170103182314-mcmo4

I just hope the Republican-controlled Congress is working on something else (and better) to replace it soon after it is repealed. Millions losing their only health coverage with nothing to replace it just doesn’t sit well with me, nor, I imagine, with those who will no longer have health insurance, some of whom no doubt voted for Trump.

Depends on how you define “soon”. According to the linked article, Republicans say replacement could take years.

They are, but I’m sure the mainstream media is overlooking it.

The GOP has said several times their policy is tort reform, health savings account and selling across state lines. They are also probably going to at least discuss keeping pre-existing conditions of some sort since that is what people seem to want----which they can then pay for.

I guess that means they are going to use a scalpel and not an axe. :slight_smile:

As I understand it, the feds don’t disallow selling across state lines, only the state regulators, which makes sense if you think about it. Blue Cross/Blue Shield, for example, sells to four states on the Illinois Exchange. They may differ in the premiums, however, depending on where you live.

Tort reform should have been done a long time ago, Obamacare or not.

HSA is also a possibility though that may be costly, which is why it was removed from Obamacare, along with the 7.5% floor on medical deductibility (which was raised to 10%)

It seems as if one can poke a hole through almost any idea that comes up. Just sayin…

I am sure they will get to work on it as soon as Trump gets into office. I would think they would want a smooth transition and no one without healthcare. I had heard it could take until summer.

A trillion-dollar deficit is included in this budget resolution.

The deficit for fiscal 2017 is projected to be $582.6 billion.

The deficit in the final year of the budget, 2026, is projected to be $1.009 trillion.

In the resolution, the public debt would rise to $29.126 trillion in 2026, up from $19.977 trillion it stood at as of Dec. 31, 2016.

bna.com/budget-plan-sets-n73014449316/

One of the biggest scams foisted on the American people is the idea that republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility.

If this the budget, I can’t wait for the actual bill.

Get those money printing presses going.

This should be a surgical process. At present, all we have is an outline. I received a notice from healthcare.gov which stated that everyone will be notified if and when any changes occur. It would be in the best interest of the health insurance companies to keep their customers in the loop as well. The launch of the ACA was a disaster. The premiums were all over the place. And the dumbest part is “we” have to go through the process every year because my insurer raised my premium by about $200.00 a month for 2017, so I had to switch.

healthcare.gov’s “seamless” process would be a lot more seamless if I didn’t get a long string of messages telling me to pay for my first month’s premium. My rather large insurance company should have shot them a “He paid! Stop the emails!!” But no.

Close enough for government work.

Ed

Can anybody send me $200.00 a month? If so, much obliged;)

From all indications no one is denied insurance but the premiums are too high. So it falls on the Republicans to lower these premiums while maintaining the same coverage. And to do it without driving the insurance companies out of business.

I think the expectations now make this impossible. Expectations have to change. And I think the left intentionally drove a change in what people expect in order to drive insurance companies out of business and replace them with single-payer. We may have been pushed too far over the hump now to reverse the eventual slide into single-payer. And I can tell my grandchildren how much better it was when I was their age.

Everybody knows about Risk Corridors, right?

modernhealthcare.com/article/20161005/NEWS/161009963

Ed

I’d prefer a risk corridor :rolleyes:

The part not included in the OP’s post.

The move by the Senate’s budget committee chairman on the first day of the new Congress set in motion Republican promises to repeal Obamacare as their first major legislative agenda item. Republicans have said the repeal process could take months and developing replacement health insurance plans could take years.

Trump promised that people with health insurance through the ACA, will not be lose their insurance before Congress has a better plan to replace it. In other words, he’ll repeal any legislation which causes people to lose the health insurance they currently have through the ACA exchange.

Don’t look for that to happen, because as they try to replace it, they end up with the same plan as ACA, unless they go to a Single Payer Plan, which Trump supported before he decided to run for president.

As it is, it was just reported that there are two plans, one in the senate and one in the House of Reps.

The Senate plan, the one with the most support, still has the mandate that Obamacare had.

You can’t have people who refuse to buy insurance, costing everyone more on their policies when they show up in the ER for healthcare.

Jim

Republicans say the average family health insurance premium has increased by $4,154 under President Obama. That’s right — and it’s a much slower rate of growth than under President George W. Bush.

The Kaiser Family Foundation’s 2014 report on its survey explains how the recent growth is low compared with the early 2000s: “Family premiums have increased 69% since 2004 and have more than doubled since 2002. However, the average family premium has grown less quickly over the last five years than it did between 2004 and 2009 or between 1999 and 2004.”

factcheck.org/2015/02/slower-premium-growth-under-obama/

You would think. But then this will not be the first time the Republican Party has held all branches of government and people being without healthcare never seemed a priority to them before Obama came around. Or at least they never did anything about it.

If they end up with the same plan, maybe because the Obamacare plan is similar to the Republican Romneycare plan but with a different name.

And hopefully that’s about all they’ll be able to do.

It would be a disaster to just flat out repeal the ACA without a replacement.

People will go back to going without health insurance and using the ER for routine healthcare, which costs everyone far more than what we have through ACA.

Jim

And to lower deductibles and cover those who are still trapped right now because they don’t make enough to qualify for a subsidy yet also do not qualify for their state’s Medicaid coverage.

Elections have consequences. Yes the ball is in the Republicans’ court now.

In the words of Sen Joe Manchin (WV)…

“A lot of people didn’t really know, and still don’t know, how they got healthcare … but I assure you they’ll know how they got rid of it.”

Manchin said there are problems with Obamacare that he thinks need to be fixed, but repealing the law in whole with no replacement available is folly. He said he won’t be voting for any sort of repeal that could leave the 172,000 West Virginians who have received healthcare under Obamacare looking for coverage.

“I’m willing to look at replacing, repairing, doing anything we can to make it better, but put something on the table,” Manchin said.

However, Manchin isn’t exactly hopeful that a fix is in the offing. He said in the six years he’s been in the Senate “we haven’t fixed very many things.”

“Anyone who has trust or belief that we will fix it, they’re living in a fantasy land,” he said.

washingtonexaminer.com/manchin-warns-gop-voters-will-remember-who-took-their-healthcare-away/article/2610832

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.