U.S., South African hostages killed in rescue attempt in Yemen

(Reuters) - A U.S. journalist and a South African teacher held by al Qaeda militants in Yemen were killed along with some of their captors during a night rescue attempt by U.S. and Yemeni forces in a remote desert village, officials said on Saturday.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and a Yemeni intelligence official said Luke Somers, 33, and South African Pierre Korkie were shot by their kidnappers shortly after the raid began in the arid Wadi Abadan district of Shabwa, a province in southern Yemen long seen as one of al Qaeda’s most formidable strongholds.

Kerry said the operation, the second attempt to free Somers in 10 days, had only been approved because of information that the American’s life was in imminent danger.

reuters.com/article/2014/12/06/us-yemen-usa-hostage-idUSKCN0JK06F20141206

Sounds like we had to do what we had to do and the worst happened. Some of the captors killed too.

Prayers for the deceased.

I heard all the captors were killed.

I take some comfort in that we tried to rescue them. They likely would have been killed anyway and the captors would still be alive had we NOT acted… so at least there’s that.

If I or anyone I loved or cared about were in that situation I would want a rescue attempt. That is FAR better than doing NOTHING. Even though this particular mission failed, it is far better to try and fail than to see a loved one beheaded on the internet.

Praying for the repose of their souls.

Sadly one if the hostages was set to be released the following day after the raid. I think he was from South Africa. Since the British born American was supposed to be executed on Saturday they felt they needed to attenpt a rescue. They wondered if a dog barking had alerted the captors. 5 of the captors were killed. Luckily those sent in to rescue the hostages were safe.
They said there was no chance any bullets fired from the rescuers hit the hostages because of where they were located.
At least they were able to bring the hostages back to their families so they can be able to have a funeral for them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.