U.S. Spy Net on Israel Snares Congress

White House officials believed the intercepted information could be valuable to counter Mr. Netanyahu’s campaign. They also recognized that asking for it was politically risky. So, wary of a paper trail stemming from a request, the White House let the NSA decide what to share and what to withhold, officials said. “We didn’t say, ‘Do it,’ ” a senior U.S. official said. “We didn’t say, ‘Don’t do it.’ ”

Stepped-up NSA eavesdropping revealed to the White House how Mr. Netanyahu and his advisers had leaked details of the U.S.-Iran negotiations—learned through Israeli spying operations—to undermine the talks; coordinated talking points with Jewish-American groups against the deal; and asked undecided lawmakers what it would take to win their votes, according to current and former officials familiar with the intercepts.

Members of Congress conspiring with a foreign government to undermine US foreign policy. Sounds like treason to me.

Apparently you believe that the executive branch is supreme and Congress should do what it is told to do.

It was Israel, a staunch ally, doing the leaking to members of Congress who were not informed about negotiations while President Obama tried to negotiate a treaty in everything but name without the advice and consent of the US Senate. How could that possibly be treason for members of Congress?

Article I innumerates a number of rights to Congress in relationships with foreign nations.

None of which include discussing classified material with a foreign government offering bribes for votes to undercut a sitting US President.

:rolleyes:

Actually, members of the Administration, including President Obama, could be impeached over something like this, according to Mike Huckabee, and I agree with that assessment.

And I’d take President Paul Ryan right now. :slight_smile:

Oh, so now the left is worried about classified info? Not when Hillary’s server was stashed in a restroom?

Also, a lot of information gets discussed between close allies, even if the Administration acts like it prefers to be friends with Iran instead.

Then its yet another another example of Huckabee speaking on a subject he knows nothing about, but thanks for reminding me that Huckabee is still around.

I see the right is still flogging that dead horse.

Members of Congress are not authorized to conspire with a foreign nation using classified information they aren’t even permitted to see.

Ad hominem.* And legally, Huckabee has a point. This Administration has been violating the Constitution left and right.

I see the right is still flogging that dead horse.

There’s something dead, alright. It’s four soldiers and a US ambassador whose dead body was assaulted.

In any case it would be less of an issue if the Administration had cooperated initially, but it didn’t and the mainstream media covered for them full bear to save the Obama/Biden ticket and perhaps even Reid’s majority in the 2012 election.

The consequence of that is this process has gotten dragged out because the Democrats Pavlovian response in a crisis is to circle the wagons.

Then there’s this:

twitchy.com/2015/12/31/email-thread-shows-state-department-effort-to-kill-new-york-times-article-on-benghazi-security/

See, the problem is, we keep finding more and more.

Members of Congress are not authorized to conspire with a foreign nation using classified information they aren’t even permitted to see.

How can they conspire with classified information they can’t even see it? :shrug:

Speaking of seeing, I can’t even read the entire article.

So as far as I am concerned, all of these accusations against Congress are bogus.

continued, “Putting the spying of Israeli leadership aside for a moment, in what interpretation of national security can the president of the United States justify using National Security Agency assets to spy on members of Congress? Is this really for national security or is it for political gain? The Obama administration must disclose the entirety of its role in this questionable activity. The United States Department of Justice should appoint a special prosecutor and the United States Congress should investigate the Obama administration and National Security Agency to pursue full clarity and accountability regarding this deeply troubling activity.”

wnd.com/2016/01/congressman-demands-investigation-of-nsa-spying-on-congress/

reason.com/blog/2015/12/31/rand-paul-rightly-appalled-that-nsa-spie

Yeah, it is treasonous. I think this article sums it up pretty well:

Rubio Outraged by Spying on Israel’s Government, OK with Mass Surveillance of Americans

theintercept.com/2015/12/31/rubio-outraged-by-spying-on-israels-government-ok-with-mass-surveillance-of-americans/

And the hypocrisy of all this is disgusting, because the NSA gives every last shred of raw surveillance data it gathers directly to Israel. That means Israel is spying on every American. It has digital recordings stored of every telephone call, email, computer post, tweet, etc. made by everyone on this thread and everyone else in this country for the past year, at which point they’re supposed to destroy it. Of course, it’s anyone’s guess whether they actually do destroy it or not. It’s something that needs to be addressed.

And amusingly, many people will probably say that my attitude is either un-American or anti-American!:rolleyes:

foxnews.com/world/2013/09/12/nsa-reportedly-shares-intelligence-including-americans-data-with-israel.html

At the end of the day, people want government to do a lot of different things for them, but the baseline for success for any government is protecting the citizenry from foreign invaders.

Not much trust in this administration. No one is concerned about Israel but they are with Isis and the radical islamists. I don’t see treason in defending the constitution.

With this kind of attitude, is it any wonder the President’s trust ratings have fallen in the toilet?

redstate.com/2015/12/28/cnnorc-poll-america-trust-obama-administration-protect-terrorism/

It doesn’t matter what Rubio is OK with. It matters that Obama was to stop the unconstitutional practice.

A couple of years ago, President Obama pledged to stop the relatively indiscriminate surveiling of the leaders of American allies. Now, the Obama administration has been caught with its hand in the proverbial cookie jar again,

Putting the spying of Israeli leadership aside for a moment, in what interpretation of national security can the president of the United States justify using National Security Agency assets to spy on members of Congress?

Ordinarily, the answer would be none, but you simply can’t put spying on the Israeli leadership aside because the Israeli leadership and certain members of Congress are virtually joined at the hip, The Administration can always argue that spying on members of Congress was NOT the primary purpose here.

Is this really for national security or is it for political gain?

National security, without doubt.

The Obama administration must disclose the entirety of its role in this questionable activity. The United States Department of Justice should appoint a special prosecutor and the United States Congress should investigate the Obama administration and National Security Agency to pursue full clarity and accountability regarding this deeply troubling activity.”

They better be careful what they wish for, because once the tactics of the Israeli government come to llght and the American public sees firsthand just how susceptible their elected representatives are to bribery and/or blackmail, it will not like it.

Only for the ones who circumvent the Constitution?

So Obama lied in the name of national security which is an issue as it is? OK, I guess I can understand. :wink:

Are you a leftist? You can’t be and be Christian. It doesn’t work.

Why not Huck instead of Ryan? Nevermind.:wink:

Don’t forget Border Agent Terry and Fast and Furious.

Certainly won’t help the Presidents glaring trust issue with national security? How so? :confused:

redstate.com/2015/12/28/cnnorc-poll-america-trust-obama-administration-protect-terrorism/

With this kind of attitude, is it any wonder the President’s trust ratings have fallen in the toilet?

:blush:

The trust issue comes from the right wing media attacking President Obama on everything for 7 years. I wonder when a Republican President gets in if the Democrats will attack that president on everything continuously.

Cuckoo:whacky:

Could be I don’t know enough about that aspect. Could be a two way street as I was under the impression it was all Bushes fault. But I agree that a much more charitable dialogue is needed. But in light of various left promoted causes its hard to see. Take the college protests or Black lives matter. Those too are points to consider. I agree with Biden talking about Hillary comments about the Republican enemies. They are not the enemy just an opposing view. Needs to all be rolled back.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.