U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High

NY Times:
U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High

The data analysis provided fresh evidence of suffering among white Americans. Recent research has highlighted the plight of less educated whites, showing surges in deaths from drug overdoses, suicides, liver disease and alcohol poisoning, particularly among those with a high school education or less. The new report did not break down suicide rates by education, but researchers who reviewed the analysis said the patterns in age and race were consistent with that recent research and painted a picture of desperation for many in American society.

“This is part of the larger emerging pattern of evidence of the links between poverty, hopelessness and health,” said Robert D. Putnam, a professor of public policy at Harvard and the author of “Our Kids,” an investigation of new class divisions in America.

The rise in suicide rates has happened slowly over many years. Federal health researchers said they chose 1999 as the start of the period they studied because it was a low point in the national suicide rate and they wanted to cover the full period of its recent sustained rise.

The federal health agency’s last major report on suicide, released in 2013, noted a sharp increase in suicide among 35- to 64-year-olds. But the rates have risen even more since then — up by 7 percent for the entire population since 2010, the end of the last study period — and federal researchers said they issued the new report to draw attention to the issue.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us, and on the whole world.

Immaculate heart of Mary, pray for us

I predict it could climb even higher. I am not sure what statistics are inother countries, but this Iis a sad reflection on life in America.

When we drive God out of our lives, we tend to dispare. We need to help our young people return to faith. God Bless, Memaw

I agree. There are many young children who grow up without any faith in God, and as a result they have a poor outlook on what is right or wrong. Their home life is lonely and it is easy to get in with a bad crowd.
Then they wonder “who am I?” …and “what is life all about anyway?”. They become depressed and then more problems begin.

They desperately need mentoring from people who care about them.

Since the suicide rates were linked to a lack of education, high school or less, primarily, education would probably help. The question is “how”.

The education they are getting from public schools and universities, probably does more harm than good. It’s a shame our education system had deteriorated to the lever it has. Something needs to be done about that but how many parents even care! God Bless, Memaw

:thumbsup:

This shows that we need more Christian values in the US. Not as many people would commit suicide if they knew God was with them.

there are some who commit suicide who feel God has abandoned them.

Not only does a public school education do more harm than good, but it’s also what drives property taxes to rates that more and more people are struggling to pay, and that in turn contributes to the worries and depression that drive people to desperation.

We need to convince them that God still loves them.

I was wondering when this would come up: How the State of the Economy is Literally Killing People. Much of the rise in suicide comes not from young people, as in the past, but from older people, in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. They cannot find work, they cannot support themselves or their families, and this is what they see as the only solution.

People commit suicide due to mental illness.

Having a faith has been shown as a protective factor in reducing rates of suicide, but faith itself is not the answer to treating suicidal ideation and suicide attempts.

People showing signs of suicidality need to do more than go to church or talk to their priest. They need to seek mental health treatment immediately.

When we take God out of the lives of our young ones we also take hope away as well.:sad_yes:

many of these older people lost everything in 2007-2008. Some lost their homes, some lost their portfolio investments, some lost their 401K’s and some lost a combination of these if not all. they had their jobs and had been going to work faithfully everyday paying their car payments, mortgage payments, etc. Then they wake up one day and they have lost their job, then the equity in their home and then their savings. They had been living as responsible adults. They saw a new president come in who didn’t do anything to make the situation better.
They lost faith in everything. They feel like failures. They see no hope for the future. Maybe others have had other family members to get them through thw difficult times. Others have not or they don’t want to be a burden. Many have felt the government let them down and that the American dream has died. It doesn’t surprise me that the suicide rate has risen.

that is definitely true in some cases, but not all. and even if they seek mental health treatment, that can be seen as another failure in our country.

I knew a very religious family who attended their place of worship regularly. Sadly, the father killed his wife and children and then himself. This is a scenario that has happened far too often where I live. Many people either don’t see God in this world anymore or they feel that God has personally abandoned them.

I have seen this as well, but in my very small neighborhood we have had 3 teens commit suicide in the past 10 years, that is alarming to me. The materialistic culture in which we live is a huge influence even on those who seem to be religious, I see this a lot in my church. Yet strangely some of the people who are the most in need,have the most joyful attitudes of anyone, seemingly due to their faith.

we have had some teens commit suicide in our parish the past 8 years and adults as well. I agree that those who might be most in need seem to be the most joyful. I think close families makes a big difference too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.